“Overpriced mediocre hotel”

Miss Sophie's Hotel
Ranked #95 of 647 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We actually stayed there this week and only came back a few hours ago and the hotel is absolutely fine but nothing better than fine. For the money I paid, I was expecting a boutiqe hotel with fantastic facilities in a very nice location but alas it was only mediocre in every sense.

We were greeted by a lovely receptionist girl who spoke very good English and taken to our apartment in the opposite building. The apartment was very roomy but the building smelt of pee. LIft WAS working when we arrived but it was also very small and old looking. We were offered to reserve a seat for the breakfast for 10 Euro but I said no thanks. You could easily eat a decent breakfast in town for under 3 Euro. The next day I noticed that our bedsheet has not been changed. Only some cleaning and tidying up was done. The towels were changed though. On the check out I told them I lost the swipe card and was told it was OK. Most hotels would charge an arm and a leg for this.

All in all, pros; friendly staff, ok location, walking distance to everywhere, very roomy accommodation, free safe box,cons; lukewarm shower, broken lift(again), very poor housekeeping, poor wifi, no breakfast. I am sorry Miss Sophie but I feel like I have been ripped off:( would NOT stay there again)

Room Tip: Prague is not all that big and public transport is very efficient and CHEAP. Do not be afraid to cho...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I liked this place overall. Inside was stylish but functional, and the staff were friendly and helpful. The location was walking distance to the centre, main train station, etc., though the immediate surroundings were nothing special.
The room was attractive and very clean. WiFi worked well. Breakfast (though it did cost extra) was excellent.
My only complaint is that I struggled to get enough hot water for a shower one morning--I couldn't tell if that was because of a loose shower fitting, or because other people had used up all the hot water, but either way I thought for the price I should be able to have a hot shower when I wanted.
Other than that, I was fully satisfied, and overall I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Malcolm75
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Sophie's turned out to be a nice surprise, The room was spacious and clean (they cleaned it
every day) the bathroom was very nice (we even found amenities in it!) . It's location
couldn't be better. The staff was nice and efficient. We had a problem -the elevator was out of
order and we were on the fifth floor!, and they made up for the inconvenience by including
free (homemade and delicious) breakfast, which we really appreciated. In conclusion we
recommend, you won't be disappointed...Prague will be a wonderful, memorable experience!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lutzy D
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Miss Sophie's is a stylish affordable hostel well worth a visit while in Prague. The rooms are beautiful and modern. The shower was great. The staff was so helpful in advising me how best to get to the bus station for my Cesky Krumlov bus. Miss Sophie's is within walking distance to the old town or close to a number of metro stops and tram lines. With a great bakery up the street, supermarket and neighborhood restaurants, you have a good location for convenience yet being outside the tourist circus.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hostal is located near a metro station, and its wasy to reach it from the airport. You get on a bus and then take the metro.
I booked a room for 5 people, we were a party of 4, and we were pleasantly surprised that we got a room for 4. Was room number one located at the lobby. Even though we were at the lobby, we were never disturbed by loud noises at night.
The room was good and clean, we had lockers under our beds and power sockets on every bed.
The bathroom is ensuite, is big and beautiful, it has a great rain shower.

They charge for breakfast, its about 7 euros. It's very good, you have to book a seat at a specific time and a chef serves you breakfast according to the menu they have for the day.
They have a locker room, which we never used. They also have computers that are free of charge to use.

The service was good, people at the front desk were very nice. They suggested us to go bar hopping as a service they provide, they charge you about 15 euros, you get a wrist band and you can drink beer and discounted drinks at some of the bars you visit. The 'tour' ends in the biggest club in Prague that has 5 floors of different rooms to dance, drink and lounge. Was very fun.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 24, 2012

this is a the best communal hotel I have ever stayed in. I slept in the 5 bed female dorm- which is really a massive bedroom with 5 beds in and a en-suite bathroom. It was super comfortable, super private and never once did I get anxious about sharing a room with 4 strangers.

The breakfasts are incredible- if they offer it to you.. just take it- its worth the 7 euro.

It takes around 20 mins to walk into town.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

The best thing at Miss Sophie's is the helpfulness of the staff. Also it has the kind of location that is great for an expensive city: near a subway and several tram lines but a few stops outside of the very center.

Our double room on the top floor under the sloping roof was large and comfortable enough, but somewhat too odd for our tastes. Most seriously there was not a power outlet anywhere near the desk (though the staff did find us an extension cord on request). Also the layout was challenging, the main part of the room had just one very bright light, WiFi reception was low, the bathroom had a motion sensor rather than a light switch, the air conditioning could be turned on only from the front desk, ... We should say however that a friend with whom we were traveling found much more to like about her room on a lower floor.

Other notes: Breakfast (for an extra charge) is good but not the usual buffet; you have to reserve one of the small number of spaces available for a particular time, then wait for your main dish to be prepared. Some lockers are available in the basement for early arrival/late checkout, and the staff will watch some larger bags for you.

Overall it is a well-run hotel but you do need to be tolerant of some quirks or unexpected features.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building but not on the top floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple