“Miss Sophie's breaks the hostel mold”

Miss Sophie's Hotel
Ranked #100 of 647 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed June 5, 2012

What does "Hostel" say to you? Affordable, a little careworn, lots of clutter and bustle? Backpacks required? A line to check in?
Not so at Miss Sophie's. Everything was modern, immaculately clean, visually interesting like a boutique hotel. The desk staff person was fluent in English and had the problem-solving ability of an experienced concierge.
I could have chosen a hotel room that would look just like every hotel room here and at home. I was tired after many hours of travel and a little irritable; I just wanted a private room and time to regroup. After taking a lovely shower, I opened the windows and watched the breeze sweep over the clay tiles of the roofs of Prague.
Consider Miss Sophie's if you are tired of predictable, stale hotel rooms. Consider the advantage of helpful staff who know what you will need to know in this city and will mark a map for you and send you off with suggestions.

Room Tip: I stayed in a private room. It was at the rooftop level and blissfully silent and isolated. Next t...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed June 1, 2012

From the moment we booked to when we had to say a fond farewell, our experience of Miss Sophie's was practically perfect in every way! We stayed in a private double room (room 11 in the main building) and it was a fantastic room. Modern, chic and comfortable with all mod cons. The lovely reception staff had also arranged for some decorations (in english) and beer to be put in the fridge for my partners 30th, which was a lovely surprise for him!

Just a short walk to the old town, close to the metro/tram, and best of all 2 blocks from Pivovarsky dum, Miss Sophie's is a great base to explore everything Prague has to offer.

*as an aside the mexican, Bandito's, across the road is overpriced but the staff are really friendly (not always guaranteed in this lovely, yet abrupt, city)

Room Tip: Room 11 was fantastic, even though it faced the road, with the windows shut it was peaceful
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We were redirected to Miss Sophie's because our room at their other property, Czech Inn, had a water problem before we arrived. The staff at Czech Inn had already made the arrangements, and they called us a cab and gave us some beers while we waited.

I can hardly believe Miss Sophie's was a hostel, because it was very classy. Our room, decorated in black and silver, was gorgeous. There are also some personal amenities provided, as well as extra towels and air conditioning. However, we were looking forward to the gregarious environment of a hostel (they had been watching a hockey game at Czech Inn), so we felt isolated and anonymous at Miss Sophie's. That said, the location of MS is way better, only three minutes from the Metro Station.

The bathroom was the biggest issue. There's only a half partition for the shower, no curtain, and water goes EVERYWHERE. It even got outside the bathroom onto the hardwood floors and we had to mop it up. If they could resolve that, I think it would help a lot. The lighting is also kind of dim, but not the worst.

I recommend this property for folks who want the hotel experience on a budget and not ones who are looking for a bustling place. Because this place really was beautiful and a great value.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank KatS_Unique_Char
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I booked at Sophie's fairly last minute and stayed in the all female dorm room. The place was really clean and everything felt new. The shower, although swanky, got the entire bathroom floor wet though.
The location was alright. You can walk to a lot of places, but if you don't want to they are really close to underground public transportation as well as trams.
The staff was really friendly and helpful also. They even helped my mother get me a birthday present from abroad during my stay here. Over and above, I think. It was a nice touch.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Cailie H
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I stayed at Miss Sophie's for three nights and four days while I was in Prague. The apartment that I stayed in was gorgeous. It had a queen bed and a twin bed in it. There was a full sized wardrobe with some great storage. There was also a safe if you wanted to use it. The room had a great unique piece of artwork on the wall, a desk, and two modern and comfortable chairs. Behind the chairs were two fabulous large windows. I thoroughly enjoyed sitting in the window and looking down the street at the detailed buildings of the city. The bathroom was so modern and nice! I loved the large shower head that seemed like a rain shower. The shower was tiled and sleek. The complimentary soaps were also a nice touch. The kitchen was also spacious and fully stocked. The tea that was provided was great and I enjoyed drinking lots of it. I did not have any of the breakfast because you had to have a reservation and we didn't know that in advance. Also it was centrally located in the city. Overall this hostel felt more like a luxurious hotel. I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Hannah_Barnhart
Reviewed May 5, 2012

First, this is one stay that I wasn't solo. I brought 9 students to this establishment and while the rooms were great, the personnel were some of the worst I have come across....reminded me of 1992 service when I lived here (just after the fall of communism). The first problem was that they told me they would need all the students names/passport numbers/dates of birth/cities of birth/etc. ahead of time so that the check-in was seamless....anything but. I had students arriving all day from the airport and each one had to give all of the information over again. The last group had to wait 30 minutes to check in after a long flight. Late this afternoon (May 5) I went over to see if there were any spots open for breakfast...there weren't but the lady was quite rude about it. Then a few hours later I needed to get ahold of my students and she gave me a major hassle saying she couldn't let me know where they are. I gave her the name of the students and she said she didn't know who I was. I needed to get ahold of the students in regards to dinner. I asked her to call up. Of course she didn't she kept saying that she doesn't have anyone registered by the last names I gave. This went on and on. Then she told me they were in a room on the 4th floor, gave me the room number and there was no such room. I gave up. While the place is nice, I will take a place that is not so nice and good service anyday. I would never contemplate coming back here whether by myself or as part of a group. The reviews may have been different, and hopefully so, if I wasn't the head of a group who was staying here.

Room Tip: There are rooms in the main building and then apartments across the street. This is not a traditiona...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank wanderingtheworld200
MissSophies, Front Office Manager at Miss Sophie's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2012

Dear Sir

We would like to frankly thank you for bringing your group to stay at Miss Sophie’s during your study trip. We do hope that your students enjoyed their stay here. And we would like to sincerely apologize for anything that made you personally feel less than satisfied with us.

As you mentioned, your students were arriving separately and we had to ask for their ID at check in. As an accommodation provider, unfortunately we cannot give out keys at reception to any persons who walk through the front door. It is more for the sake of our guests’ personal security and personal belongings than ours. Indeed our reservations office had in advance asked for your group’s passport details, yet we cannot hand out keys from guestrooms unless we know that the person is indeed booked to stay with us. Regrettably, we cannot know if a person is booked to stay with us by merely looking at their face. So we do need to check their ID when they arrive and to also make a written record of the fact of the person’s arrival, including for such security purposes as a headcount in the event of fire in the building. We are very sorry that you have felt that it was a major inconvenience for you, yet this is a standard practice you will encounter in hotels worldwide. Moreover, it is our receptionist that performs the task of taking the ID details in order not to bother the guest with filling it in as is done in some other hotels.

Concerning that particular receptionist not being able to tell you where your students were, the receptionist asked you to write the reservation name for the group you had in mind. Unfortunately she did not receive a clear answer from you, yet she indeed needed to know the reservation name of your group in order to be able to say which rooms your group occupied. So it was not a question of personal dislike, but of trying to figure out the information that you were requesting. Concerning the fact that the receptionist gave you a room number on the fourth floor, the receptionist gave you the correct information: your students were indeed staying in that room on that floor, and there is a number on the door of that room. It is unfortunate that you could not find it there or ask us for further help.

We do regret that you made such sweeping judgments about the quality of our service based on one encounter at reception the outcome of which you were clearly not happy about. Also, we would like to assure you that the post-Communist service culture of 1992 is long gone from Prague, so it is saddening to read about your flashback and associations with the past.

We hope the above explanation may help you understand the other side of the story.

With Warm Wishes from Prague
Miss Sophie’s Reception

Reviewed April 26, 2012

We really loved this cute little hostel. With modern furniture and new facilities, it was such a great stay. We particularly loved the small restaurant where they made our fresh breakfast! The bunk bed was great with individual power points and comfy mattress, the private bathroom was clean and modern and the shared kitchen was really well-equipped. highly recommended! The staff was really friendly and helpful too and there's an excellent local restaurant walking distance from the hostel recommended by the staff and we were not disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends