“A lot to learn about customer treatment”

V Kolkovne Restaurant
Ranked #1,042 of 6,404 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: European, Czech
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stare Mesto (Old Town)
Reviewed May 10, 2019

I visited this restaurant by myself at a time it was busy. I was immediately told that for one person there was no room in the dining area, but that I could wait for one of the bar tables outside to become available soon as they were waiting for clients to pay. Although I perfectly understand that a table with several people is more profitable for the business, there is no need to say things in a manner that immediately makes the single client feel turned off. I sat down on a bar stool as close as possible to the bar so they would have enough room to pass behind. Unfortunately, I picked the wrong spot and was immediately given a yelling tirade in Czech because I sat where they needed to access things from the bar. I understand that too, and immediately moved a few spots away from there, but again, there are different ways of saying things. Then from behind someone threw a menu at me. Nice gesture, as at least I could have a look through it while waiting, but there too, there are nicer ways of doing this. Not too long after, I was given one of those bar tables. Since I had read several times that eating duck in Prague is highly recommended I opted to order it despite the fact that it said 1/2 a duck. As a tourist in Prague, I was counting on guidance by the locals, but the order was quickly taken without any further comment. I ordered a beer and expected to hear what size options there were, but no, the waiter was already leaving. I called him back and asked what sizes they have and ordered a small beer. I wonder what he would have brought had I not said anything. After a very long wait, my duck finally arrived. With it a large dish with a huge amount of red cabbage (I requested not to add white cabbage), plenty of potato and bread dumplings as well as a sauce. The duck came in a separate oven dish. I was in total shock as this would have easily fed 4 people, and also annoyed that I wasn’t warned, thinking about how much food was being wasted every day and how I barely managed to squeeze by getting a small beer. The duck was indeed very good. Crunchy on the outside, yet still juicy, and nicely seasoned with cumin. Also, the potato dumplings were delicious although I feel that they could easily have been gnocchi. I took my time eating as much as I possibly could but obviously, it was impossible to even eat half of this meal. Once I finished, the waiter returned quite quickly and asked if it was good. I told him it was but that I wish he had told me about the amount of food I would get as this was enough for 4 people. His answer, “well it’s 1/2 a duck”. My answer, “well, it depends on the size of the duck”. Since I was paying by card someone else brought me the bill, typed in the amount and then said that I can now enter the amount of tip I want to leave. Needless to say that I did not think a tip was deserved and as such only paid the bill.

Date of visit: May 2019
Write a ReviewReviews (3,261)

Reviewed May 7, 2019 via mobile

We had spent the entire day from 9 this morning enjoying the city and couldn’t wait to sit down for a well earned coffee and lunch.
We were immediately told at 2pm the place was full and we would have to sit near the bar on a poser table. Not a problem. I wanted the plate of the day available till 3 but was told this wasn’t available as they had sold out. Ummm, why stipulate time of day it’s available if it isn’t!
Lunch was good but served by a surly waiter and it was clear, they didn’t welcome tourists - or at least, us. We ate, drank and left as this clearly isn’t a place to linger comfortably to while away an hour or so. Meal was quite expensive, certainly for a large beer that was only just over a half full in the pot, a plate of food barely covering the dish and a baked Camembert baked three hours earlier.
Never mind, onwards and upwards.

Date of visit: May 2019
1  Thank DeliaP903
Reviewed May 4, 2019

This restaurant is a staple for both locals and tourists. If you just want great Czech food (and a lot of it) at decent prices, this is the place to go. This restaurant is part of the Pilsner Urquell restaurant group. You will not be leave hungry or disappointed.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed May 3, 2019

Like many restaurants in Prague you need to book a table. We ate downstairs, lovely food especially the rosemary potatos, they were delicious. The wine was a reasonable price 345 Koruna which is half what we paid in some restaurants. Overall great food and value.

Date of visit: April 2019
1  Thank shari222
Reviewed May 1, 2019

This pub/restaurant was recommended by our hotel in Prague. It is usually very busy so you will need to book. The food is good and traditional Czech and the service on the night we went was adequate. We were advised by our Hotel that the service can be hit or miss and after being there I can understand this. However the night we went there were no complaints. The prices are reasonable and the food is served quite quickly. This is worth a try if you are in Prague.

Date of visit: April 2019