“Not as amazing as I expected”

Alchymist Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #16 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed October 19, 2010

The Alchymist is a lovely hotel, but it doesn't really compare to other 5 stars I've stayed in.

The location was wonderful. Charles Bridge is just 5 minutes away and we found it easy enough to walk almost everywhere. The hotel also arranged for a cake with sparklers and the restaurant's singer sang me happy birthday, which was really nice. We also had a lovely massage as part of our package.

The worst part of the stay for me was the noise! The hotel is in a quiet location so outside noise is not a problem. However, in our room at least, every sound within the hotel seemed amplified. Doors opening and closing kept me awake all night. The cleaning trolleys sounded like trains rumbling and even toilets flushing in other rooms could be heard. In a 5 star hotel you don't expect to be able to hear doors and voices from so far away - or activity in other bathrooms sounding like they are in your room. I'm a pretty light sleeper and because it was all so noisy I spent my weekend in Prague utterly exhausted which rather ruined my experience of the city.

We had a junior suite, room 211, but the 'separate seating area' is just a small table and 2 chairs at the end of the bed. The bathroom had an overhead shower where I would have expected a separate shower in a 5 star hotel's suite. The TVs are tiny and there are only 3 English channels. Our view was of the building next door.

Service was nothing special. When we arrived we were left in the lobby for quite a long time. Eventually somebody came to tell us that our room wasn't ready (our package included early check-in or late check-out but neither were available) and we could go and walk about and come back 2-3 hours later. When we got back we were given what felt like a rather rushed tour of the hotel. We were meant to have strawberries and sparkling wine in the room but we had to request these. One evening we needed an iron and we waited 30 minutes before we had to call and re-request it. It still took another 20 minutes even after the second call. It also took a while to be served in the bar as there was never anybody there. We had to sort of hover in front of the door and wait until someone saw us. I would expect far more attentive service in a 5 star hotel. When we checked out, we weren't even asked how our stay was.

The complimentary wine and cheese tasting was a nice touch but only consisted of 2 wines, a red and a white, and 3 cheeses. Breakfast was reasonable - there was a decent choice, but the cooked a la carte options were not very nice at all. The spa was beautiful but the pool is too small to swim in and the steam room is only for men! There is no sauna or steam room for women at all.

Overall, while it is a very nice hotel, I was expecting a lot more.

7  Thank Jellyarms
Alchymist, General Manager at Alchymist Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2010

Dear guest, first of all thank you for your time to leave comment about your stay with us. As there were some issues with your stay I am really sorry for that. But let me express as well my view on the things you mentioned. As you stated your package included early check in and late checkout but you forgot to mention “upon availability” and upon your arrival the room or any other rooms were not available for early check in. because the hotel was nearly full. Otherwise as you can read from many other reviews there would not be a problem to check you in immediately. I double checked your arrival time and as it was at 11:00 we could not do anything else then to tell you that we will prepare your suite before standard check in time that is at 14:00
Our Junior suites are around 40-45 sqm were we never stated that it is two rooms suite. This I would like to apply as well to your other comment about the view, separate shower and swimming pool. If the hotel would be built on a green field it could reflect these NON standard features much easier.
What is most important for me in your review are your comments about the service, that I strongly believe that was an exception. But I will bring this to the attention of my staff.
View from our hotel is not panoramic, just because we are housed in one of the palaces of Lesser Town that has 3 floors like other buildings around us. Our wine and cheese is one of the complimentary touches to our guests that they can have a glass of red or white wine from domestic production and relax in the lobby. If our tasting was not up to your expectation, you could always use our Lobby bar menu and wine list to pamper yourself with full selection of international wines of course accompanied with light snack before dinner.
Noise in the hotel I would rather describe as sound of full house. And I am sorry it disturbed you so much that nearly everything in our hotel was wrong. With my kindest regards, Veronika Choteborská – General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,807)

Reviewed October 17, 2010

Stayed here for a couple of nights with my wife. Have to say that the location was perfect as it is very conveniently placed for all the main sights. Also close to the US embassy so security was very tight which made you feel safe (although security was never a concern to be fair). Very bohemian decor but in keeping with age and style of Prague generally - much better than corporate style hotels. Staff very friendly and rooms well equipped and perfectly clean. Breakfast was very good although didnt have dinner there only because we wanted to explore the city. Would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: October 2010

Dear guest, thank you very much for your comment here at Tripadvisor. I hope to see you back at Alchymist in near future. With my kindest regards, Veronika Chotěborská - General Manager

Reviewed October 15, 2010

This is a wonderful hotel with a great atmosphere and a very convenient location. Great fixtures, fittings and fabrics throughout and beautifully well-kept and clean, so it felt really nice just to be there. The Spa and the Restaurant were both very good - and not as expensive as you might expect from a hotel of this quality.

1  Thank BillTheLizard

Dear Guest, thank you for your review. I hope to see you back at the Alchymist in near future. With my kindest regards, Veronika Chotěborská - General Manager

Reviewed October 14, 2010

I stayed here during a conference and the hotel was great. It was the type of hotel that you want to stay in during a visit to Prague - full of ornate decoration that looks centuries old. But the hotel rooms had modern bathrooms and appliances. The bed was very comfortable. I think the hotel was too expensive and would not stay here for personal travel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Recently, we spent a few days at the Alchymist Grand Hotel & Spa. The first view of the hotel was wonderful, as was its location: an enchanting building on a charming cobblestone street. As it was just off a larger, busier street there was hardly any noise or traffic. Security checks on all vehicles due to the US Embassy being the hotel's neighbour, may have something to do with that, too. Either way, it was wonderful, quiet and utterly charming, not to mention within easy walking distance of the Charles Bridge, the Old City and the Prague Castle. The area of Mala Strana itself is also well worth the stroll. Now, back to the hotel. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. Always at hand to answer any question and going out of their way to treat you as a true 'guest'. A very nice gesture was the daily Wine & Cheese Tasting in the Lounge of the hotel, featuring only local wines and cheeses. Many of the guests found that to be a delightful moment to reflect on the day's past activities and the many beautiful sites (yet) to visit in Prague. Our Junior Suite was spacious and comfortable and was everything we expected, staying 'in tune' with the style of the hotel. The restaurant offered, amongst others, a good tasting menu and was well worth the visit. The Spa was also excellent, with a variety of treatments by wonderful Balinese / Javanese therapists. A great moment of relaxation! All in all, we would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a 'hidden gem' with all the luxury of a 5* boutique hotel in a semi-secluded yet central location. Good facilities and excellent staff.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2010

What can I say? A perfect long weekend. Great food, wonderful decor, comfortable bed, attention to detail, helpful and honest service, excellent location, this hotel had it all, and made our 4 day holiday a truly wonderful experience. The rooms are well appointed, the staff are polite and helpful, the cheese and wine in the afternoons (included) are most welcome, the spa is luxuriant (and wonderfully mock-Roman). All in all, a great place to stay.

2  Thank MichaelFitzpatrick
Reviewed October 6, 2010

This has to be the most luxurious hotel I've ever stayed in. The rooms were very ornate with large beds, spacious marble bathrooms and gilded furniture. An expansive breakfast was provided every morning, complementary wine & cheese was every evening, and though I did not use the spa myself, a colleague told me it was amazing. It's in a quite part of town across from the U.S. embassy (which was why I was there) and was able to cover the stay with the government per diem rate.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business