“The most romantic gateway in Prague”

Alchymist Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #17 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed October 4, 2010

When I and my wife decided to celebrate our wedding anniversary in Prague, I started to look for a special romantic and cozy place to stay. Searching throughout the web, finally, I picked Alchymist Grand Hotel and Spa with its romantic package. Their beautifully arranged web site with all the necessary information, picturing luxuriously furnished interiors with taste, made me to make a reservation. Also, the location of the hotel seemed to me to be very conveniently and geniusly planned. Very quiet and safe location at Mala Strana, close to the Charles Bridge, neighboring the Kampa and especially right under the Prague Castle.
So, we went. We have stayed in a very comfortable Junior Suite for three nights, experienced dining in the exquisite Aquarius restaurant, gorgeous spa with Thai massage, helpful service and incredible staff. And most of all, surrounded with the luxury and the beauty of the hotel interiors made us to feel like the king and queen living in a fairy tale. We made the right choice. The Alchymist Grand Hotel and the Spa is just the most charming, elegant and luxurious place to stay in Prague.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Zuzana111
Write a ReviewReviews (1,807)

Reviewed September 27, 2010

I came here with my sister and it was absolutely amazing! The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was roomy and very comfortable. And the spa!! It definitely was my best vacation...and the free wine and cheese in the afternoon... ohh please let me move in!
I will definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2010
2  Thank ceciliaeg
Alchymist, General Manager at Alchymist Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2010

Dear guests, thank you very much for your review. Its always pleasant to read possitive things about us here at the Alchymist Hotel. I hope to welcome you back in near future. With my kindest regards, Veronika Choteborská - General Manager

Reviewed September 27, 2010

My husband and I just stayed at this hotel for several days in mid September and I have mixed emotions about it. I feel like it could be an outstanding hotel but for a few things that were a disappointment. The good points first -- it is extremely well located and on a quiet street (easy to get to all of the major tourist sites and great restaurants); the hotel is unique and charming and very beautifully appointed; our room was very clean; breakfast is quite good; and the staff is nice. In addition, the spa is gorgeous, and we both had great massages while we stayed there. Now for the bad points -- horrible hotel for a non-smoker even if you get a non-smoking room. There is a bar and cockatil lounge on the first floor and there are ALWAYS people in it smoking away. Not only do you walk through it to get to the elevator or stairs to your room, but the smoke and smell permeates the entire place, which always smelled like cigarettes (including our room). It hit us in the face as soon as we walked in as it smelled really bad in the check in area. We are both non-smokers who now live in an almost completely smoke-free world given that there are so many restrictions on smoking in NY (where we live and work), so that we are not used to any cigarette smoke and it causes an almost immediate headache and sore throat. We ended up stuffing a towel under our door every night in order to try to keep out the smoke wafting up from the first floor or from people smoking on our floor. Because of this alone, I would not stay at this hotel again. The only other bad point was that we felt the room was very small for the price. I have traveled all over the world for work and pleasure and stayed in a large range of hotels, both inexpensive and very expensive and this was the smallest room I have ever had for that price. We are not big people and felt quite cramped in the room. But the size of the room would not keep me from coming back to this hotel, it is the cigarette smoke. For smokers who would not mind the smoke, I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Guests, thank you very much for your review. Regarding your point about a smoking in the public areas of the hotel let me just say that anti smoking law in the Czech Republic is not that strict.
Our hotel has fully non smoking rooms, non smoking outlets such as Restaurant and Café but it is allowed to smoke in the Lobby. I am very sorry that smoke disturbed your overall pleasant visit. With respect to our smoking customers that are coming to stay with us (also from US) we have to somehow find a compromise between smoking and no smoking policy. When the anti smoking law will take place in Czech Republic and conditions will be same as in other countries we will act accordingly. With my kindest regards, Veronika Choteborská – General Manager

Reviewed September 23, 2010

I find it very difficult to give full marks, but this hotel truly deserves all 5 stars.

The location is excellent, 10 minutes from Charles Bridge.
The rooms are spotlessly clean, spacious and luxurious.
The Service is in my opinion the best thing about this hotel, well done to all the staff!
Very good value, considering the prices you have to pay for a 5 star in Europe.

We consider this to be the best hotel we have ever stayed in.

1  Thank SCHEMBRI
Alchymist, General Manager at Alchymist Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2010

Dear guests, thank you very much for your review here at Tripadvisor. I hope to welcome you back at the Alchymist in the near future. with my kindest regards, Veronika Choteborská - General Manager

Reviewed September 20, 2010

We loved this hotel from the moment we saw it. The service was exceptional to a person. The food delicious both at our daily breakfast and during the tasting meal that came with our package. My husband loved the spa and gym areas. The Alchymist is exceptionally well located; close enough to the Charles Bridge to walk and yet far enough away that it was quiet. We would stay here again in a heart beat!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ochw

Dear guests, its my pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay with us. I really hope to welcome you back at the Alchymist in near future. With my kindest regards, Veronika Choteborská - General Manager

Reviewed September 20, 2010

We had a great stay at this hotel and experienced only a few minor bumps in the road. The location is fantastic as it is central to all attractions and as it is off the main tourist strip, it is close to some amazing restaurants. The hotel itself is beautiful to look at and the staff are eager to help in every and anyway possible. Now the downside, if you are a fan of second hand smoke, then this is the place for you! We found ourselves continually opening the windows to our room to air it out so as not to have cigarettes be the thing we remembered most about our trip by bringing the smell home with us. A walk through the lobby almost always guaranteed us a quick rush of nicotine as we were forced to pass through generous clouds of smoke that would inevitably find its way to our floor and subsequently, our "non smoking" room... hence the open windows. A day trip to a castle not far from Prague could have turned into an adventure of mishaps had we listened to the concierge; his instructions on what train to take and from where were so off the mark that we found ourselves wondering if he had any idea of in what city he was working. That being said, we would surely come back and recommend this hotel to our friends with the above warnings. It is quaint, clean, ridiculously conveniently located, has an eager, mostly well informed staff, an exquisite spa facility that has to be seen to be believed and breakfasts that were sumptuous and plentiful.

Reviewed September 15, 2010

This is the place to stay in Prague. Right in the heart of the city, but very quiet because of the traffic restrictions around the US embassy. From the moment we entered the hotel we were amazed at the personal attention we received from the staff . Loved the champagne welcome and the al fresco dining in the little courtyard. All together a fabulous experience.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lawmarnock
Alchymist, General Manager at Alchymist Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2010

thank you very much for your nice words about us. I really hope to welcome you back in near future. with my kindest regards, Veronika Chotěborská - General Manager