“Great view of The Vlatava River.”
Review of Pachtuv Palace

Pachtuv Palace
Ranked #96 of 649 Hotels in Prague
London, United Kingdom
“Great view of The Vlatava River.”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed here in the summer en route to viewing more of Europe. It is an old hotel which is comfortable but could be a little cleaner, the beds were OK and clean but it was a bit dusty in parts. We had a beautiful view of the Vlatava River which at the time was just recovering from the floods. The staff were all very nice and all spoke very good English. If you want a central hotel this is good. We did not eat there so I cannot comment on the food.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the front the view is super.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ellearedee
Lucie D, General Manager at Pachtuv Palace, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Valued Guest from London,

I would like to take the opportunity in thanking you for having chosen the Mamaison Suite Hotel Pachtuv Palace as your Prague destination stay.

We very appreciate that you submit the review on Tripadvisor, thus making a contribution to our on-going effort to improve the services of our hotel. In this respect all comments from our guests are helpful to us. I discussed your comments with the housekeeping manager and all the necessary measurements were taken to prevent similar complaints in the future. Please know, this is definitely not our standard and I am terribly sorry you experienced lack of attention from the housekeeping side during your stay.

I am happy you overall enjoyed your stay and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at Pachtuv Palace soon,

With kindest regards,

Lucie Dagan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
PsyT
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I had pre-paid 3 nights stay at this hotel for my first trip to Prague. After arriving and starting the check-in process, the receptionist suddenly informed us that the hotel had a 'problem with water' and had to move us to their sister hotel Riverside which is over a mile away from this hotel and in an area highly inconvenient for tourists. If there really was a water issue why didn't the receptionist state that as soon as we showed up? Also why did another group of tourists check-in just before us? I can smell a scam. Since we had already pre-paid we pretty much had no recourse and had to go along with this plan. Be very wary of pre-paying your reservation with this hotel! I'm sure this hotel is fabulous but unfortunately I never got to experience it and I feel VERY cheated.

Room Tip: Do not pre-pay your reservation!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank PsyT
Lucie D, General Manager at Pachtuv Palace, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Mrs. T,

I would like to deeply apologize for the issues with your stay at Pachtuv Palace.
At the day of your arrival we experienced a water issue in one wing of our hotel. The water emergency caused that several rooms were inhabitable. We did our best to remove the issue as soon as possible, but the cleaning afterwards took another few days. Therefore we were not able to accommodate you at our hotel and I am really sorry your stay was impacted by it. Since your reservation was for the deluxe suite and we didn’t have any available for that period, we were forced to transfer you to our sisters property. The group of guest you mentioned in your review had reservation for different category and since they were a group we were not able to split them and move only part of the group. I am sorry you got the feeling that we are being dishonest with you and making fake excuses. Please know, there is no reason to do so and we never like to relocate our guests for any reasons.

Your reservation was prepaid through the travel agency. In rare situations like this one we would definitely honor the refund if you decided to find a different hotel in closer location. Riverside hotel is located about 15 minutes walking distance from Pachtuv Palace, as we understood the location was the main reason why did you book our hotel, we offered you our hotel car complimentary transfer to the city centre and back on every day. To extend our apology we provided you the best riverside suite at our sister’s hotel with beautiful views, complimentary bottle of wine and also complimentary breakfast.

I am really sorry you were not happy with our hotel chain and awarded us with one star only. I wish we would have done more to make your stay more enjoyable. If you wish to discuss this issue further, please contact me anytime on my email ldagan at mamaison.com

Kensington, CA
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We recently stayed here for three nights as part of a Tauck tour. It truly is a palace. Our suite, which faced the river, had an enormous living room/parlor, a decent-sized bedroom and a large bathroom with first-class toiletries. Furnishings were high quality and there was even an old-school, honor system minibar.

We heard reports about our fellow travelers' quarters. Most were also highly positive but one couple griped about a small room and another said they had air conditioning problems. Now this is all hearsay as we did not visit any other rooms but might be true. The Palace is an old building and certainly was not built as a modern, cookie cutter property. We found its uniqueness and eccentricities to be charming, others might react differently.

The whole place has an air of understated grace and elegance; no staff in morning coats or standing on risers behind the reception desk. In fact, there is no reception desk. Being part of a tour, we were greeted with sparking wine in the courtyard and shown individually to our rooms; I don't know if non-tour arrivals get such treatment.

The concierge service was very helpful—they provided good information and advice, obtained tickets, and even arranged for the hotel driver to pick us up after a concert (for a fee, of course, but worth it compared to finding a taxi or walking home late at night in a strange city.)

The restaurant is so-so. The breakfast spread was adequate and our single dinner there was OK but they appeared understaffed for handling our group although they must have known we were coming.

This hotel is not cheap but worth it to make your visit to Prague extra special.

Room Tip: Try to get a river view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank WhiteWolfCA
Dear Valued Guest from Kensington,

I would like to take the opportunity in thanking you for reviewing your recent stay at Pachtuv Palace Prague.

It was with great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially your room, the hotel in general, our staff members, and that you will retain a pleasant memory of our hotel. I will be more than happy to pass your valuable comments onto the team of Pachtuv Palace. I will discuss your issues during the dinner with the Restaurant manager to avoid similar complains in the future. I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Once again thank you for your time and I would be very pleased to welcome you back to the Pachtuv Palace again,

With warm regards,

perth
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I travelled to Prague with family last April during Easter to this hotel, but did not write view about it. this hotel provide life time experience to me and my family so I think I owe them this review.
upon arrival, hotel staff find we have 2 young kids so it might be not comfortable to stay in smaller room, they kindly upgrade us to their room at the back of the hotel which like a castle, over 300 SQM and got 3 bed rooms. the room are very comfortable and each room got TV and guests name was upload to the TV to welcome you. as we are staying top level of the building, there are roof windows where we can see though, electrical blind to open and close the roof window.
Breakfast is excellent and European style, chief got really good cooking skills.
Hotel face the river, close to anywhere you want to go, all by walking distance. we did not spend a cent on transport there.
the hotel staff are very helpful and provide 24 hours assistant. Good Friday they provide a small game to find Easter eggs and my kids are so exciting running around the garden. Daily small gift from hotel are very thoughtful and all personal care products are L'Occitane product.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank willseeyouthere
Dear Valued Guest from Perth,

I would like to take the opportunity in thanking you for choosing the Mamaison Suite Hotel Pachtuv Palace as your Prague destination stay.

We very appreciate that you have reviewed our hotel here on the Tripadvisor, thus making a contribution to our on-going effort to improve the services of our hotel.

It was with great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially your room, our staff members and the hotel breakfast, and that you will retain a pleasant memory of our hotel. I will be more than happy to pass your valuable comments onto the team of Pachtuv Palace.
Once again thank you for your time and I would be very pleased to welcome you and your family back to the Pachtuv Palace again,

Tarrytown, New York
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

I read reviews on many hotels before I choose Mamaison Pachtuv Palace & I was very happy with my choice. The hotel is centrally located but off the beaten path that it is quiet. You can easily walk to most sights, metro, or places to catch the tram. There are plenty of good restaurant & coffee shops right by the hotel (including School). We had a suite with an beautiful view of the river & the castle. The hotel was an old residence so it isn't like a traditional hotel but that adds to the charm. We actually had to take an elevator, then walk outside to get to our room. The living area of the suite was very big but the bedroom and bathroom were somewhat small. The twin bed was not the most comfortable bed. The tub/shower was off the bedroom but the toilet was off the hall. There is a nice courtyard but it rained most of the time so we couldn't use it. The hotel staff was very nice & the hotel pick up was very convenient.

Stayed September 2013
1 Thank lymac2400
Dear Valued Guest from Tarrytown,

I would like to take this opportunity and thank you for sharing your review about your recent stay at Pachtuv Palace with other travellers in the Tripadvisor community.

We are happy that our hotel met your expectations and you enjoyed your stay, especially the location, view from your suite and our staff members. I will gladly pass your feedback onto the team.

I hope to welcome you back at Pachtuv Palace when your future plans bring you back to Prague,

With warm regards,

Prague
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Just like a Holiday Inn. Bare bones everything. Great location but not a stitch of "luxury" as claimed. Not 1 person even in the restaurant! No duvet on bed. Truly basic. Would never recommend this to anyone I know.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Molly k M
Dear Valued Guest, Dear Molly,

I was very concerned to read your review about your recent visit of Pachtuv Palace.
We were very sorry to learn that some aspects of the quality of the hotel did not meet the usual standards of Pachtuv Palace. I am confused about your comment regarding the missing duvet. We do provide duvets in every room and have several spare ones in case the guests require it. I wish you could more specify this issue, please feel free to contact me anytime.

The team of Pachtuv Palace will do its best to improve on the quality in the future. We are sorry that we could not satisfy all your expectations this time and very much hope that we will have the opportunity to provide you with better service during your next stay.

We shall be very pleased to welcome you to the Hotel Pachtuv Palace again.

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 1, 2013

It's as simple as that. If this hotel is in your price range, look no further. You could stay at the Four Seasons or the Mandarin Oriental, but why do something generic...and pay a lot more for it...when you can do something charming? Many people comment on the location of Pachtuv Palace, and they are right: next to the river, close to Charles Bridge, etc., etc., etc., but Prague is a walkable city and most hotels are well-located; the true benefit to the Pachtuv Palace location is that it is on a minor street in a quaint area so, while it is close to everything, it is not in the middle of anything. That said, the reason you stay here is not the location, but for what the hotel is and what it delivers. As commonly mentioned, the hotel is comprised of a complex of buildings that were formerly a palace, so this is not a typical hotel. There is not a traditional formal lobby with a reception counter; rather, the lobby is a series of rooms with seating, and actual desks where you sit like a person a talk to the hotel staff. Very nice and very welcoming. Beyond that is the hotel itself. Because the property was not built as a hotel, it is quirky and unique and lovely. The entrance is discrete, not ostentatious (frankly, nothing about this hotel is ostentatious, which is part of its appeal). After the lobby, there are a series of lovely courtyards...pleasant and calming to walk through. Every room is a suite, every room is different, and every room is enormous...grand, even, with high ceilings and lovely furniture. We changed rooms during our stay (the hotel had upgraded us to a two-bedroom suite, but we decided we wanted to move back to a one-bedroom) and both rooms were wonderful in their own way. Beyond the rooms, there is the staff. Just like the hotel, they are charming and lovely, and they go out of the way to be accommodating and helpful, without being stiff or stuffy, As some have noted, the hotel has a car and driver who will take you to/from the airport, to dinner, around town, in comfort at a reasonable price. This is not an outside service...the car and driver belong to the hotel...nice touch and completely consistent with the level of service Pachtuv Palace delivers. To top all of this off, the hotel is not anywhere near as expensive as one might expect. We considered the Augustine and the Alchymist as well (again, we prefer unique properties to generic luxury hotels), but they were substantially more expensive and, frankly, didn't seem to offer anything more than you can get at the Pachtuv Palace. In sum, this is a wonderful and unique hotel is a fantastic location. The rooms are huge and each one is special. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Pachtuv Palace manages to be a high-end hotel without being stuffy or cold...rather, it is charming and warm...and it does this at a price that will surprise you. As I said in the beginning: stay here.

Room Tip: Be aware that many of the rooms are not serviced by elevator, and some are maisonettes that require...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Gary L
Dear Valued Guest, Dear Gary,

I would like to take this opportunity and thank you for your review of the recent stay in Pachtuv Palace Prague.

I am very happy that you enjoyed your visit and our hotel met your expectations. I especially appreciate your comments about our staff members which you found charming and lovely, going out of their way to be accomodating and helpful. I will definitely share your kind words with every staff member.

We all hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at Pachtuv Palace in the future.

With kindest regards,