“Location is 100%”

Ranked #160 of 663 Specialty Lodging in Prague
Stavanger, Norway
“Location is 100%”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2011

I have been to this hostel 3 different times visiting prague. The reason why I choose this hostel is simply because of the price and location. The standard is not good, but if you only are looking for some place to sleep and take a fast shower its good enough.

The staff is friendly, as well as helpful.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank StigD2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Usak, Turkey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

Before I visited the Czech Rep., I searched a lot about the places both cheap and comfy. It was the high season so I thought I was a bit late for this. I had a reply that Tara had vacancy for 3 (a single room and a double room) and I paid immediately. As I checked from their internet site, it seemed alright to me. When we reached Prague, we found the street where Tara located but it took so long to find the reception. The receptionist was a kind woman who explained me that they did not have room for a single person until the next day and we had to stay in the same room with my other collegues even if I didn't wanted to. The price is fair and the location is excellent for sure. Also, the price did not include breakfast or any other meal or any other drink. You have to climb so many stairs to reach the rooms so my advice is don't take heavy bags with you.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Prague hotels

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

We stayed 2 nights in this hostel. We had to walk up 4 flights of stairs to the very top of the hostel for an attic room. Some of the lightbulbs didn't work and the shower door couldn't close but they were the only problems we had. We had a great stay in the very centre of everywhere we needed to go to. There was some level of noise at night but it was nothing that could be helped. It was only because the window was open and it was too warm not to have the window open.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2010

Great location and a cheap price.

However I found the room I was in to be very shabby - the rooms could do with some real updating and refurbishment. Scrappy bits of carpet, sheets didn't quite fit the beds. I was allocated a room overlooking the market below - due to the temperature and lack of air conditioning in the room we had to keep the windows open which meant it got noisy around 6am when the market started being set up. Also not the easiest place to find either as it is hidden behind a cafe/restaurant.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
bournemouth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2010

Hi
Just few words about Pension Tara;
- horrible
- smelly
- no character
We usually travel on a budget and choose budget accommodation but that was not a very enjoyable experience. The room we have stayed in was very old with manky old pillows and stinky carpet; not at all as shown on the pictures on the website. maybe we've been unlucky and got the worst room in the hostel but I wouldn't risk it if I was you!
Coffe making facilities with no coffee!
The only good point was the location; Prague was beautiful!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Magsk
Tokyo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2009

As others have noted, the stairs are daunting, the place is old, and there are some doors and lighting to navigate your way through. I stayed alone at a rate of 1,200 crowns, which I thought would be a reasonable price for a single in such a good locations. It was adequate at best, but compared to similar properties in Prague, the rate is pretty competitive for an en suite. I was not asked to pay up front; I was told I could pay at check-in, checkout or whenever. I paid the day before checking out, and dropped my keys in the mailbox since I was gone before the reception opens at 9 a.m. The staff was all very friendly and accomodating - no complaints at all there.

My "single" I assume becomes a double when there are two people staying there. There were two very-much single beds, which were quite old. A cheap table and two cheap chairs, which were too low for the table. A fridge (would have been appreciated if I needed it), couple of glasses, utensils, chunk of soap, bath towel and bath mat. The room was clean and the bathroom was perfectly presentable, tough the shower was tough to handle as the shower device is handheld with no wall-mount.

My room (43) was in the middle on the top floor, so there was minimal noise from outside or from the neighboring rooms. As there's no TV and no WiFi, I got to bed early and woke up early after a sound night's sleep. Since it's just a minute or two from the Old Town Square, I got to enjoy the gorgeous expanse before the throngs of Dolce-clad Italian schoolboys and packs of German retirees, etc., descended upon it starting at about 9 a.m.

Back to the Tara - I wouldn't recommend it as it is nothing special other than the age of the building and the good location. If you have a day or two in Prague, it's a good hub though as you can enjoy the city's central historical areas without having to use anything but your two feet.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank TokyoTravelNinja
Boothwyn,PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2009

I was in Czech Republic for business trip for 2 weeks. I had the first weekend off and went to Prague. Found this Pension, Hotel Tara. I would call it mom and pop hotel. There was a little side check-in room. Then they led me up the 2 flights of stairs and iron gates. Then I realized this not your typical "Holiday Inn". It was more of a converted apartment building. Half the rooms were for the hotel next door and seemed like there were tenants in the other rooms. I had a great ledge to look out over the street vendors. The room was basic no TV, two beds, 1 single and 1 double, on the floor. The blankets towels and chairs were minimal. I had a small fridge and table, coffee pot and radio. The bathroom was across the hall. It seemed like a movie set room from the 50's or 60’s," kid runs away to the city and finds the cheap motel. Writes the great novel and become famous. The location is unbeatable, 2 minutes from Wenceslas Square, 1 minute from Old Town Square and maybe 4 minutes to Charles Bridge. If you’re looking for 5 star service, no way. This room is for made for the person looking to explorer the City of Prague not in there room watching TV.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo