“Home from home!”
Review of Villa Mansland

Villa Mansland
Ranked #452 of 679 Specialty Lodging in Prague
Reviewed September 13, 2011

This is our third time staying at the hotel and again we were made to feel very welcome. The initial meeting was with a charming guy who took our passports and then showed us to our room. The room was clean but smelt of cigarette smoke which unfortunately permeates the whole hotel - the Czech Republic still allow smoking in public areas I am afraid. The hotel staff are wonderful and made us very welcome including being invited to one of the staff's birthday party, However there was one bar staff member who was an exception to this and who has an attitude problem but he did not ruin our stay - the guy just simply needs training and told he is in a customer service environment! The cooking for breakfast is adequate without frills, the evening meals - I would eat somewhere else. The bar is run by other people so be careful to sign for all of your drinks as there was some confusion when we were leaving as to whether we had paid for all of our drinks. The hotel has hired a new manager who needs to sort out some of the small problems within the hotel - these are not major but they do need attention. It is very close to the local metro and you can be in the centre within 20 minutes. Overall I would recommend the hotel if you are passing through Prague.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
75  Thank JohnnyMisky
David M, Manager at Villa Mansland, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2011

Hi Johny.

Thank you for your helpful review.

The bar/restaurant is not going to be runned by other company anymore, so we will do our best to satisfy our guests also with good dinners and entertainment. And we will make sure that all of our staffs understand what ''my guest - my lord'' means.

Hope to see you soon in Prague again!
David

Reviewed August 13, 2011

This was my 4th visit to Villa Mansland and again was a mixed visit. I was made most welcome on arrival into a guest and host's birthday party and offered a food and drink once I had checked in.

Although for the rest of the weekend most of the hosts were still celebrating the birthday and not engaging as much as they would have done previously.

Breakfast is now buffet style with eggs cooked to order. This is an improvement on before and ok value for money.

I like to keep track of my bar bill and settle this at the end of each day although on this trip I didnt do this until end of day 2. I was charged a 10% supplement for using my card which has never happened before.

On check out when paying the final amount and extras tab.I was not happy to pay the 10% card supplement as this was not on the website. Eventually they cancelled this 10% for me they wanted to be nice to me If they had advertised the fact on the website they had a card supplement I would not have minded and made sure I had cash and paid as I went as I don't like to carry large sums of cash on holiday after being mugged previously.

In a follow up email they said that Harry would amend the website when he got back from one of his trips. 5 months on the website still hasn;t been amended.

Villa Mansland could be so much better offering say 3 night packages, including breakfast and airport transfers at a slight reduction to the prices or offer some sort of loyalty scheme for returning guests. I know they discount the rates midweek and for stays of a week but I can;t always take advantage of this. The likes of free soft drinks or tea/coffee would cost them hardly anything but would be very welcome.

The rooms are comfortable and clean with a safe for valuables. Unless something goes badly wrong i will go back but there could be so much more done to enhance people's stays.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank KeaneJohn
Reviewed July 26, 2011

This hotel is only fit for gay travellars and especcally for those who are interested in meeting new young "friends".
Pleasant owner and staff although some with an attitude. Breakfast never before 9.00 o clock and only if staff is willing to be on time. Don't rely on their taxidriver!.
Clean rooms but they lack atmosfere.
Home cooking ok but not to be called restaurant food. Excellent Chinese restaurant across the road. Out of town but easily reachable on foot by metro (Ladvi).
I think gay clientele should support gay venues, but it certainly is not everybody's taste.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank Saschapraha
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Villa Mansland is an exceptional property with exceptional management and friendly, courteous staff. A great atmosphere where you can share your time indulging in great food and meeting new friends.

An absolute recommendation for gay men visiting this beautiful city.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
47  Thank Rainbowsalwaysrule!!
Reviewed January 23, 2010

I stayed here over the New Year period. Generally quite pleasant. Close to the metro, supermarkets. The local resturants are very good and great value. I booked a taxi with the house taxi to take me back to the airport early in the morning. He didnt bother turning up, and when rung was still in bed. The night person at the hotel organised a replacement...well done, and it was 1/2 the price of the house taxi!! Seems he quite happy to rip you off!!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
5  Thank Johnc_uk01
Reviewed March 10, 2007

is a little out of the way, but soon you will learn your way to and from the center of town (five subway stops from the Villa and no changing lines). I found it mostly unnecessary to leave the Villa (except to sight see a little). The food quality/service at the Villa wasn't to my taste, but there are restaurants and speciality food stalls around and within the nearby subway station. There is a grocery store nearby as well. There are several ATMs around which give you the choice of making your transaction in English.

I only drink coffee/cola and thought the charges a bit excessive. It is possible to really run up your bar bill if you drink alcohol and especially if you buy drinks for the boys that are always around. I'm a sucker for a pretty boy and there was no shortage to keep me company. I would like to visit the Villa Mansfield in the Spring or early Summer so I can take the Northern sun in the sunny gardens out back.

Overall, I had a great time at the Villa Mansfield and recommend it and want a repeat visit ASAP!!

Stayed: February 2007
46  Thank skywaitress
Reviewed March 20, 2006

This hotel , well its a villa turned into a hotel for the gay traveller. Rooms are nice especially the deluxe and the suites. No english telly though! A nice bar reasonably priced drinks and excellent breakfast served when you want it right up till 2.pm which is great as the prague nightlife is briliant.
You can also have an evening meal which is great value. The villa also has a beautiful garden which loked wonderul covered in snow.I also stayed here last September when the weather was wonderful when you can sit outside in the garden. The suites also have mini bars and fridges. The villa is a bit far away from the main centre of prague but there is an excellent tram service and the hotel has its own cab drivers. Going back again in July.

• Stayed: January 2006