“Wouldn't stay again”

Ranked #588 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Bangkok
“Wouldn't stay again”
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

Low cost and low level hotel. We stayed in a very big room infused with cigarette smoke on the ground floor in the annex. I have NEVER heard so much noice from a room above in any other hotel. We were almost worried they would fall through the cardboard(?) floor. Decent and filling breakfast but the staff could be more helpful with information. I really had to push to get info about buses, tickets and where to eat in the neigborhood. Quite a few places to eat in the area, which has potential and feels quite safe even if very worn down. Beyond walking distance from the center but with good bus connection (207) which takes you downtown in 5 min. As we had a car it was good that they offered parking (13 EUR/day). Wifi reception in our room was so bad so we had to stand in the window to be able to use it.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matjesill
AVEHotels, Manager at Grand, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear Sir,
thank you for your kind review, we take our guests´ feedback very seriously and I can assure you that we will look into the issues in detail.

So thank you again and I wish you a veery nice day,

Eduard, QC Manager

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Stayed for 5 nights. Large room (7) with large bathroom, however frequent and loud noise from room above became an increasing issue. Decent breakfast with range however, it was the same food everyday. Towels were not changed by cleaning staff, would have liked new towels at some point. Receptionist very nice, friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Room 7 - Very large double with couch, and spare single bed (possibly a family room). However, the i...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
AVEHotels, Manager at Grand, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Sir, thank you for your feedback, we greatly appreciate it. As for the towels they are changed every three days or on request if you just leave it on the bathroom floor. I am sorry if you found the noise insulation insufficient, we will take a good look into the issue on management level and find a way to make it stop. So thank you again and I wish you a nice day!
With kind regards,

Eduard, QC Manager
UK
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights up to the 23rd of feb and it does what you need it to, room clean and comfertable , brekfsat was good and plentiful free wifi and really friendly and helpfull staff. It was also really cheap to stay there, ok so its not in the heart of the old town like other grand hotels but its only a 10 min bus ride away which only costs 24czk to travel, the receptionist gave us maps and advice for public transport which was spot on.

When i got to prague again i would gladly stop here again.

Well done.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We booked we booked a Two-Bedroom Apartment (90m2). Got a small room with 4 beds, messy and smelly. Near the enterance we had a dirty carpet (it was there because under there were no panels). The shower looked disguisting. Food was ok.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Portsmouth, UK
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We had a very unfortunate start to our holiday in Prague..

When we landed in Prague we were picked up by our transfer (Holiday Taxis) which was previously arranged by our travel agent. However, worryingly the driver asked us for the address of the hotel as he said that there were three hotels with a similar name in Prague. We were surprised that our agent had not given this information to our driver! When I booked the holiday with our agent, they had advertised the hotel as Hotel Grand Prague. I had read reviews on Hotel Grand on Tripadvisior and they were mostly positive, and the Hotel seemed to have a great location (right in the City Centre opposite the Astronomical Clock) so, happily I booked up the hotel. I also requested a Clock View room with the agent who said that she would put the request forward for me but obviously couldn't promise anything.

So, going back to when the Taxi driver asked me for the address of the hotel, I looked through all the paperwork I had been provided with. I showed him the document with the address with 'Accommodation Voucher' on which advised the address as 'Hotel Grand Prague, 13000 Prague, Republica Checa' to which he responded that it wasn't the address of the hotel. So, going back on my recollections of the reviews, I advised that it was the hotel 'near to the Astronomical Clock' so he took us there. When we arrived at Grand Hotel in the city centre, we were shocked to be informed by the receptionist that we were not booked in to be staying at that hotel!! I showed her the paperwork which stated 'Grand Hotel' and showed her my request for the Clock View room but she insisted that we were not booked in. Understandably panicky, we tried calling the travel agent's offices which were closed (it was about 23.00 hours at this point) we did not know who on earth to contact or what to do. The receptionist at Grand Hotel tried calling the other 2 hotels in Prague which go by a similar name, the first she could get through to and who also advised that we were not booked in with them and she could not get through to the third.
As a final option, I tried calling the Taxi company again to see what address they had on their system, to which they repeated the address I had on my document which was apparently 'not an address'. We decided that our final option was to try and find this third Hotel who were not answering their phone to see if we were booked in there, obviously at a big risk that they may not even be there. I contacted the Transfer company again (HolidayTaxis) who said that they would send a driver out to take us to this third address (located in Prague 3- we found this with the help of the Reception Staff in Hotel Grand)
After having to wait over half an hour for another driver to pick us up, we were eventually taken to another hotel located much outside the city centre which went by the name 'Grand Hotel' we eventually arrived at the Hotel to find that there was no one at the Reception desk but a sign on the door to say that guests needed to check in at a hotel round the corner.
Frustrated, tired, and feeling like this was our last option, our transfer driver didn't hesitate to take us round to this hotel (Hotel Seifert) Upon arriving at the reception, a lady checked us in and gave us our keys; we were astounded to find that THIS was the hotel we were sold. We are understadably very frustrated with our travel company and have complained as they basically mis-led us on the hotel. The point of this is to be 100% clear which GRAND hotel you are staying in as there are 3 in Prague and not to be disappointed like we were.. the Hotel itself was old, is a shady location of the city and basically pretty shabby. However, my partner and I try to make the best out of a bad situation and tried to keep positive. We cannot praise Micheala enough for her efforts in advising us where the location of the hotel was, what transport was nearby and even what trips she recommended. She was very tentative and caring and we feel that she was too good for this hotel!
As I said, my partner and I tried to make the best out of a bad situation and enjoyed our time in Prague, however my advice would be to stay closer to the city centre and be 100% clear on which hotel you think you have been sold!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Christine H

Travelers are raving about these Prague hotels

Whitby, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I believe the only true reason I'm giving this hotel 2 stars is due to the efforts of the front desk staff. Unfortunately we never got her name, but she did work hard to make our stay more enjoyable. Suffice it to say that if it were not for her, we would've left early.

Originally booked at the Bily Lev, but due to complications (ie most likely over-booking) we were sent to the nearby Hotel Grand. Big disappointment.

Room was an extremely odd configuration - best suited perhaps to a group of teens spending a drinking holiday in Prague - and filled with cheap, broken furniture and an uncomfortable bed. Some lightbulbs were out, both in the room and in the stairwell leading to it and the showers were the smallest I've ever dealt with anywhere in Europe.

We seriously contemplated leaving the hotel early and attempting to find accomodations elsewhere - even though hotels for us are merely a place to sleep - but were swayed into staying by the hard-work and personality of the front desk clerk (Gabriella's sister)

After numerous calls by our travel agent to hotel management we received several discounts on our stay, parking and laundry.

I would suggest anyone visiting Prague keep this review - and others like it - in the back of their minds before booking at this hotel, the Bily Lev (or Seiffert Hotel) as they are all owned and operated by the same corporation.

My wife and I would not return to this hotel - especially since there would be no guarantee the same staff would be there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chris D
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I stayed here in July 2012. i have stayed in many places but this was the worst. It is not in the city centre. The area around the hotel is not safe to walk after dark. The reception closes at 7.00 pm so no help getting directions, calling taxis etc. There was no telephone in our room. We were booked for 4 nights but after 2 nights we moved to the Hotel Bologna just off the old town square. A much nicer location and freindly staff

Room Tip: Dont stay here there are much nicer hotels in Prague for the same money
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends