“Important - The name is Grand Hotel NOT Hotel Grand!!!”
Review of Grand

Grand
Ranked #588 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Portsmouth, UK
“Important - The name is Grand Hotel NOT Hotel Grand!!!”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We had a very unfortunate start to our holiday in Prague..

When we landed in Prague we were picked up by our transfer (Holiday Taxis) which was previously arranged by our travel agent. However, worryingly the driver asked us for the address of the hotel as he said that there were three hotels with a similar name in Prague. We were surprised that our agent had not given this information to our driver! When I booked the holiday with our agent, they had advertised the hotel as Hotel Grand Prague. I had read reviews on Hotel Grand on Tripadvisior and they were mostly positive, and the Hotel seemed to have a great location (right in the City Centre opposite the Astronomical Clock) so, happily I booked up the hotel. I also requested a Clock View room with the agent who said that she would put the request forward for me but obviously couldn't promise anything.

So, going back to when the Taxi driver asked me for the address of the hotel, I looked through all the paperwork I had been provided with. I showed him the document with the address with 'Accommodation Voucher' on which advised the address as 'Hotel Grand Prague, 13000 Prague, Republica Checa' to which he responded that it wasn't the address of the hotel. So, going back on my recollections of the reviews, I advised that it was the hotel 'near to the Astronomical Clock' so he took us there. When we arrived at Grand Hotel in the city centre, we were shocked to be informed by the receptionist that we were not booked in to be staying at that hotel!! I showed her the paperwork which stated 'Grand Hotel' and showed her my request for the Clock View room but she insisted that we were not booked in. Understandably panicky, we tried calling the travel agent's offices which were closed (it was about 23.00 hours at this point) we did not know who on earth to contact or what to do. The receptionist at Grand Hotel tried calling the other 2 hotels in Prague which go by a similar name, the first she could get through to and who also advised that we were not booked in with them and she could not get through to the third.
As a final option, I tried calling the Taxi company again to see what address they had on their system, to which they repeated the address I had on my document which was apparently 'not an address'. We decided that our final option was to try and find this third Hotel who were not answering their phone to see if we were booked in there, obviously at a big risk that they may not even be there. I contacted the Transfer company again (HolidayTaxis) who said that they would send a driver out to take us to this third address (located in Prague 3- we found this with the help of the Reception Staff in Hotel Grand)
After having to wait over half an hour for another driver to pick us up, we were eventually taken to another hotel located much outside the city centre which went by the name 'Grand Hotel' we eventually arrived at the Hotel to find that there was no one at the Reception desk but a sign on the door to say that guests needed to check in at a hotel round the corner.
Frustrated, tired, and feeling like this was our last option, our transfer driver didn't hesitate to take us round to this hotel (Hotel Seifert) Upon arriving at the reception, a lady checked us in and gave us our keys; we were astounded to find that THIS was the hotel we were sold. We are understadably very frustrated with our travel company and have complained as they basically mis-led us on the hotel. The point of this is to be 100% clear which GRAND hotel you are staying in as there are 3 in Prague and not to be disappointed like we were.. the Hotel itself was old, is a shady location of the city and basically pretty shabby. However, my partner and I try to make the best out of a bad situation and tried to keep positive. We cannot praise Micheala enough for her efforts in advising us where the location of the hotel was, what transport was nearby and even what trips she recommended. She was very tentative and caring and we feel that she was too good for this hotel!
As I said, my partner and I tried to make the best out of a bad situation and enjoyed our time in Prague, however my advice would be to stay closer to the city centre and be 100% clear on which hotel you think you have been sold!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Christine H

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I believe the only true reason I'm giving this hotel 2 stars is due to the efforts of the front desk staff. Unfortunately we never got her name, but she did work hard to make our stay more enjoyable. Suffice it to say that if it were not for her, we would've left early.

Originally booked at the Bily Lev, but due to complications (ie most likely over-booking) we were sent to the nearby Hotel Grand. Big disappointment.

Room was an extremely odd configuration - best suited perhaps to a group of teens spending a drinking holiday in Prague - and filled with cheap, broken furniture and an uncomfortable bed. Some lightbulbs were out, both in the room and in the stairwell leading to it and the showers were the smallest I've ever dealt with anywhere in Europe.

We seriously contemplated leaving the hotel early and attempting to find accomodations elsewhere - even though hotels for us are merely a place to sleep - but were swayed into staying by the hard-work and personality of the front desk clerk (Gabriella's sister)

After numerous calls by our travel agent to hotel management we received several discounts on our stay, parking and laundry.

I would suggest anyone visiting Prague keep this review - and others like it - in the back of their minds before booking at this hotel, the Bily Lev (or Seiffert Hotel) as they are all owned and operated by the same corporation.

My wife and I would not return to this hotel - especially since there would be no guarantee the same staff would be there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chris D

Travelers are raving about these Prague hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I stayed here in July 2012. i have stayed in many places but this was the worst. It is not in the city centre. The area around the hotel is not safe to walk after dark. The reception closes at 7.00 pm so no help getting directions, calling taxis etc. There was no telephone in our room. We were booked for 4 nights but after 2 nights we moved to the Hotel Bologna just off the old town square. A much nicer location and freindly staff

Room Tip: Dont stay here there are much nicer hotels in Prague for the same money
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank CCregg
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 28, 2012

As an experienced traveller my experience at the so called "Hotel Grand" was by far the worst ever. I do not know how this is even classed as a hotel let alone get 3 stars. My experience here clouded myself and my mothers city break to Prague. It was unbelievable it was so bad. I have outlined the reasons below.

1: According to the hotels website this hotel is directly in the city centre. This is a lie it is located in a very seedy area with no amenities and it is a fair walk to the bus or tram. Even taxi drivers had no idea where it was.When we arrived the young girl gave very vague directions.
2: The Hotel website claims that this hotel has a 24 hour reception. This is a lie. The receptionist told us they close at 7 and you have to use your key to access the side entrance.
3: Breakfast finishes at 10 am but at 9.55 am the woman came and just scooped up our plates even though we were not finished.
4: The room smelt musty and was very basic.The tiles very very grubby. On my second night staying there I had to go to hospital as a bug from the pillowcase went into my ear drum for half an hour and I was in agonising pain. We had to search for help as there was no phone or information in the room. There was another bug in the bed and at least two on the floor.
We decided to check out the next day. Well If the whole thing had not been bad enough the behaviour of the receptionist was disgraceful. She started shouting at us at the top of her voice and pointing the finger in my voice. She screamed "IT WAS ONLY ONE BUG. IT WAS NOT THE FAULT OF OUR HOTEL." I said about the other bugs and she screamed "NO NO NO OUR HOTEL DOES NOT HAVE PROBLEM." I told her that her attitude was unnecessary and she roared "YOU GET OUT OF THIS HOTEL- YOU GO NOW" Her arms were everywhere and she was screaming. She was very intimidating.

I understand insects can be anywhere but the room had not been properly cleaned and there was more then one insect. They could at least have said sorry.

This woman had no concept of the word "service" or "manners". This is by far the worst hotel I have ever seen. I advise people to stay well clear and even if you have booked this place book elsewhere. Complete rubbish and an absolute disgrace. The management of this hotel should be ashamed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank Creggie82
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Same owners as for hotels Seifert and Bily Lev. We were booked in Bily Lev for May 4-9, confirmed a month prior to trip. We arrived at Bily Lev and only there were told we had to move to Seifert. I insisted at least on a taxi voucher to move to Seifert as clearly a case of conscious overbooking. We went into taxi and discovered we arrived at Grand hotel. I told the driver he was wrong but he showed the taxi voucher given by Bily Lev which was clear. We rang entrance bell as no full time reception and after 10 min a helpful young lady confirmed we were to stay at this hotel. She showed us the room which was smelly, hot, noisy, without cupboard, small. I complained to her, she was very much genuinely ashamed but could not offer anything better. We stayed for another hour trying to convince ourselves we would be able to survive this place but finally I decided it was too dreadful and I called a cab to move to Central Prague and try to find an alternative. As it was past 7.00 pm and no reception we left the keys of exit door and room door in the room.

Room Tip: stay away as not to regret
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank Luc P
annalong
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The only thing nice about this hotel was the polite young receptionist who seemed to be at war with the owners on a few occasions! upon arriving home late one evening the outside door was locked and the key left in on the inside, as there is no night porter or any receptionist at night, we had to sleep in the alley way outside the back door. I was there on a stag weekend so wasnt looking for much more than a bed and shower facilites, you get what u pay for right! but this place couldnt even provide that. That said it was very clean and the rooms where warm, it would be better advertised as self catering apartments. The one breakfast i had was really quite good, apart from the cross owner complaining about us eating to much cheese. so provided you dont loose ur key late at night or some ejit leaves his key on the inside of the door u should have a resonable nice stay

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank william p
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2010

you dont feel safe walking around at night beware no food available anywher in that area at night beware of the taxis yellow cab were the best price others rip u off get ripped off if you r not carefull with using food delivery service receptionist in the hotl were fine but any of the others have an attitute problem when u r told breakfast is fin it is fin plate cleared from under your nose while ur eating but if it is cheap u want it is cheap but not welcoming if u go anywhere but your own room u dont seem to get a wecoming manner

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends