“good hotel”

Ranked #251 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
“good hotel”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We stayed at the hotel in March, We asked for a double bed and a bath and we got both,The reception staff were very friendly and helpful especially Sandra who always stood up on your arrival or departure from the hotel and always spoke to you,The room was cleaned every day,The hotel is in a very good area close to the main Square about a 10 minute walk or a 1 minute underground ride,There are plenty of shops and restaurants nearby, Tesco,KFC,Mcdonalds,Starbucks,Costa coffee, We found a couple good bar/restaurants within 100 yards of the hotel, Mytilda which was very nice good food and drinks at reasonable prices,The other was called the cellar bar which we really liked good food and drinks again very reasonable prices,It was always busy in the evening with a good atmosphere,The staff were very friendly, If you smoke it was allowed, We would recommend this Hotel and definitely stay again when we go back to Prague.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back of Hotel it was nice and quiet
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Elena_Sartori, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Tyl, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
what a nice review!
I am very happy to read you have an enjoyable stay and that Prague treated you well.
It is very rewarding to know that our staff was helpful and kind, I will forward the nice words to our Sandra and I am sure she will be very happy and thankful.
We are looking forward to welcoming you soon,

Public Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We read the reviews of this hotel before we booked and noticed there were many positive reviews about this hotel. So that was encouraging.

When we arrived we were welcomed by Sandra the hotel receptionist who was very friendly and helpful.

Location wise, it's pretty good. It's about a 10/15 minute walk into Wenceslas Square and you'll have supermarkets and restaurants at your disposal and within walking distances of the hotel. It can be quite seedy in the evenings though and it can be an uncomfortable walk back to the hotel.

The rooms are fairly dated but it works well with the ambience of Prague and they were reasonably clean and tidy. The rooms are big but the beds are pretty poor - an exceptionally soft mattress that slips off the base very easily and there's only one pillow which isn't of the best quality.

The breakfast was ok. Not the biggest selection I've ever seen but it's varied enough and does the job if you like typical European breakfasts.

I ended up being very disappointed after the initial good start with this hotel. Our room was unbearably hot. Apparently they turn the air-con off at a certain time in the evening so if it's a hot day you'll be struggling to sleep like us. If you ask reception they'll turn the air-con back on in your room but I cannot understand for the life of me why you can't control your own air-con like all the other hotels I've been to? This is a serious flaw with this hotel (and I notice from other reviews that other people have complained about the heat in their rooms as well).

We opened the window on our first night but didn't sleep very well because of the trams outside and the racket from the drunks at 3am. But it was better than sleeping in a sauna.

What made everything even worse was the music coming from the bar underneath our room on Saturday evening. We were on the first floor and at about 11pm the music came through the floor like it was actually in our room - I could actually hear the words of the music through my ear plugs! I complained to the man on the hotel reception who said he would ask them to turn it down. He advised me that this bar isn't part of the hotel and it's a 24 hour bar! I had to speak to the very rude (and quite aggressive receptionist) a second and third time before the music actually went down to a reasonable level.

All in all, I would not stay in this hotel again. It's a 3 star at best but I'd place it as a 2 star. It'll be worth paying the extra cash to get a better hotel in the area.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor at all costs (especially a front bedroom) as you will hear the music from the...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Musicalbexy
Elena_Sartori, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Tyl, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Guest,
it saddens me to read that you had a quiet disappointed experience with us.
I thank you for the nice words dedicated to our front desk staff Sandra, she very much appreciated them and thank you back.
Regarding the issues you were encountering during the stay, I would like to express my most sincere apologies. The aircontitioning is centrally monitored, our staff is at your complete disposal at any time of the day and night to find the perfect temperature during your entire stay.
We have contacted the responsible of the bar downstairs and we are sure it will not happen anymore in the future. For any assistance I would like to remind all our future guests that our staff is at your complete disposal 24/7 to go extra miles to guarantee you a proper pleasant stay in our hotel.
Thank you again for your precious contribution.

Stoke on Trent
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from our 5 day visit to Prague having stayed in the Hotel Tyl. We had a great visit and can have nothing but praise for the hotel, staff and breakfasts. Having contacted the hotel prior to our visit requesting the service of the hotel taxi to meet us at the airport it was great to be met at the airport gate. We can thoroughly recommend the restaurant Matylda where we found the staff to be very friendly and the meals we had there were very enjoyable too. We were lucky with the weather our last day the temperature was 23 degrees! If we were to visit Prague again we would have no hesitation in staying at the Hotel Tyl.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Elena_Sartori, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Tyl, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
thank you very much for your wonderful review!
We are very happy you appreciated all aspects of the hotel and its service. Prague was experiencing incredible nice and warm weather lately and we are happy you had the chance to enjoy it fully.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the closest feature,

clacton on sea
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Just returned from a few days in Prague at the Tyl Hotel. We knew nothing about the hotel as trip was booked by our children as a xmas present. Pleasant hotel, very clean and breakfast good with a great variety and something for everyone. On review said about the bed being very soft. I must say our bed was very firm in our room on the 4th floor, perhaps the other people were unlucky with their room. Unfortunately did not realise how easy it is to get on and off the trams and metro till the day we were leaving so a lot of walking was involved. Should have done my research before. Saying that the weather was great, sunny skies the whole time and therefore all the walking was very good excercise. Very good hotel and would recommend it. The only strange thing was that we were asked to pay 500 crowns deposit when we checked in and was told it was in case we damaged anything. I had forgotten to take a plug adapter and when my husband asked at reception if they had any, he was first asked to pay 500crowns for it then when he questioned the amount the receptionist said ok 300. He then said he did not want to buy it only borrow it and would return it when we checked out, she then took another 100 crowns deposit. We did find all that a bit strange but to be fair, when we did check out, there was a very helpful young man on reception and he refunded the 600crowns and I will say he seemed to be a bit suprised that we had in fact been charged it in the first place. That being, our experience was very good and we had a lovely time.

Room Tip: We were on 4th floor good view over the square below
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Elena_Sartori, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Tyl, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
thank you for your detailed review!
It was a pleasure to have you in our hotel and it was a perfect Christmas present from your children. I am glad you had a pleasant stay.
I have contacted you personally to go through few details of your experience with us and I am grateful for your help and contribution. We are currently fixing some internal staff procedures in order to guarantee an above standard service to our future guests.
Thank you very much and hopefully welcoming you soon,

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Spent 4 days in February and whilst everything had a deposit the hotel was ok. Staff friendly and helpful especially Jan and the blond receptionist (sorry did not get your name). Spa was out of commission so did not review or go there. Breakfast was plentiful and whilst I do not understand the requirement for hot mixed vegetables others might like it.

The hotel is situated off a pleasant square near trams and the metro ... some city noise but hey ho you are in a capital city. Local fast food establishments are close but avoid them and go to Matylda's on the opposite corner from the KFC. Authentic Czech cuisine and the duck is to die for!!!

I would also recommend the Sandeman's free walking tour to orientate yourself in the city. It is clearly a loss leader and remember to tip the guide. Meet down by the clock in the old town square look for the red umbrellas.

Finally the hotel is ok we found the cleanliness alright but for a non smoking hotel there was an odour of cigarettes but air freshener was supplied when asked.

Room Tip: Asked the reception to turn off the heating ... they will do it.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Drew414
Elena_Sartori, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Tyl, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
we are happy to read that you had an overall positive stay.
I personally forwarded the nice words for our receptionists Jan and Sandra and they are very thankful for them.
It is very rewarding for us to read that the staff has been helpful and at your disposal.
Thank you also for the suggestions and tips, I am sure many travellers will find them useful and inspiring.
We are looking forward to welcoming you.

Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We visited Hotel Tyl at the end of January and we were pleasantly surprised by what we found. The hotel was just around the corner from a metro station IP Pavlova and the same distance from the tram which runs very frequently. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful our room was spacious as was the en suite and breakfasts were good with a selection of cereals, cordials, salads, ham, cheese, pastries, breads and rolls and a selection of hot food including sausage, scrambled egg and vegetables. This is not a 4 star hotel and décor is dated but it is impeccably clean and pleasant. My husband has back problems and he slept incredibly well so I guess that the beds vary depending on the room allocated. It is a city so noise is to be expected we live in the country but were not disturbed by the traffic noises outside but we were in a room facing the courtyard. I had asked for a room with a bath in an email to the hotel and we were contacted prior to our visit by email to confirm that they were able to meet our request. We would have no hesitation in staying there again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Elena_Sartori, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Tyl, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
what a lovely review! Thank you very much for the nice words, it is very rewarding for us to read taht we provided a good service and our guests were satisfied.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back at your next trip to Prague.

Tampere, Finland
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Great location, metro and tram stops right around the corner. Only about 10-15min walk into the "New Town". Also nice restaurants, McD and KFC very close, along with small grocery stores etc.

The beds in the room were VERY soft, I wouldn't recommend to anyone with back problems (luckily I don't have such...). In general the rooms were quite modest, and cleanliness could have been better. The A/C was also a bit weird because it couldn't be controlled directly from the room. Not a big problem though for us.

Breakfast was good with a nice variety.

Service was generally very good and friendly. Although one minus because we did not get any response to our two email queries we sent about a possibly missing item which we think we left into the room when checking out.

Not quite close to 4 stars, most likely 2 or 2½ but I would say it was OK for a budget holiday when we weren't going to spend too much time in our hotel room anyway.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
thank you for sharing your experience.
I am sorry you have not evaluated the cleanliness spotless, I will personally forward your comments to the Hotel Manager and actions will be taken to improve quality and service.
I would like to sincerely apology for the mail, it could have happened some problems with the mail inbox, I would be happy to take care of it now, so please do not hesitate to contact me at public.relations@ghotels.cz.
Looking forward to hearing from you.