EA Hotel Royal Esprit
$830
$483
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsturn lightsshower curtainold town squarebreakfast roomart deco stylehotel taxifirst floorsmall hotelmain attractionsreception deskjunior suitenice roomshort walkperfect locationcharles bridgeprague castleventilation
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Let's start with the positives: Great location. Free, decent speed wi-fi.
So much for positives.
First and foremost, let's mention that we arrived in Prague during a tropical heatwave. Temperature outside was 34-36 degrees Celsius/96 Fahrenheit.
Checkin takes approx 15-20 minutes /room/person. Really bad experience there. We were asked to pay upfront, which we gladly did. To our surprise (the hotel claims they're a FOUR STAR product) - there was no air conditioning in the rooms. Instead, we were offered cheap table top electric fans that made more noise than wind. The hotel decor is very tired and in desperate need of refurbishment. The public areas are dirty/scruffy. The room smells damp, furniture and fit out is very dated. The bathroom is very tired, and the water is of yellow colour. The towels were torn/ripped. power went out the 1st night and it was pitch black for nearly 30 mins. Breakfast restaurant is like going back to the 70's - and I don't mean it in a nice way.
Apparently, the only air conditioned rooms are on floor 4 and 5. You have to book a business package (10EUR extra) to enjoy A/C. We received no such information during check-in.
Overall - if you absolutely HAVE TO stay there, make sure you either get an upgrade, or come in winter.
This hotel is a perfect example of how desperate we are in Europe for a uniformed, official star-rating system, that actually means something to clients and isn't abused by hoteliers taking unfair advantage of heavy demand.

Room Tip: book only the 4th and 5th floor - or forget about air conditioning.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank TAExpert1976
Farar-Hotel_manager, Front Office Manager at EA Hotel Royal Esprit, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear TAExpert1976,

thank you for your commet. A negativ comment is also good comment.

At first, please, let me inform that our hotel is a member of "The Czech Association of Hotels and Restaurants" and this association shall take care to meet the specified standards.

We are realy sorry that your check-in tooks so much time. We made few changes in our staffing and I am sure that check-in these days will take around 5 minutes.

Our hotel was build in 1924 and we continue in this "art deco" style. In last few months we changed carpets and towels through the building and also halls and rooms are newly painted. Again in art deco style.

One more time thank you for your commet and I am sure that your next stay will be much more comfortable.

Jiří Kulovaný

Reviewed June 7, 2013

The staff and the room were fine, but the location of the room is critical. Many clubs nearby close down and the party people hit the streets around 2:00 a.m. They are not obnoxious, but they are loud. Ask where your room is located and avoid anything external. Check to make sure the mini-fridge is working. Mine wasn't and they offered me a different room. The hair dryer was also 'unique' and inefficient. Breakfast buffet was excellent, but don't look for a restaurant. The entry just above reception is directly into an Asian restaurant, so don't expect Czech delicacies on site. Reception staff made every effort and were most cordial.

Room Tip: In my 3 weeks in Eastern Europe I discovered that single rooms were inevitably on the street. I was with a tour, but if I were to return I'd book a double and insist on being OFF THE STREET.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Jocelyn S
Farar-Hotel_manager, Front Office Manager at EA Hotel Royal Esprit, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Jocelyn,

thank you very much for your respond. Every single one is important for us.

Jus few words to your comment. Minibars are new and working in all rooms as new hiar dryers are.

The restaurant in our bulding does not belong to our hotel (they are our subtenants) and yes it is asian restaurant and they know how to cook very well.

It is good and important that you enjoyed your stay here and we hope that next trip to Europe will leads you back to our hotel Royal Esprit.

Jirka & Royal Esprit team

Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is a well worth it for the price hotel. The location is unbeatable. Only a short walk to Old Town Square and all other attractions. Our room was bigger then expected with a separate lounge area. Our room faced the street so you do hear some noise, but that is totally expected in a big city. The breakfast was good with a lot of cold cut options and some worm sausages. Better then a American continental breakfast for sure. The only draw back we experienced at this location was the elevator breaking down while we were there. Which in a way was good as we got some extra exercise all on the house. I would recommend this to couples, young and old. We brought my older parents as well and they enjoyed their room as well. And I think it would be very suitable for families with children as well, much due to the fact that the rooms are bigger then those I stayed in before in Prague. Be aware if you have problems getting in and out of bathtubs, worth to mention that this hotel have bathtubs in all room with a high step over point. Another remark, and I might be picky about these things, is the mattress. In Prague be prepared for a very simple mattress. If you are used to the US standard be aware. At this location I have to say the mattress were a tiny bit better or should I say thicker. Most places have a bed board with a slim mattress, good for those with back problems.

Room Tip: There are rooms with a separate little lounge area, try to get those.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CeliaFay

Dear Sharlene,

thank you for your review.

It is realy nice to hear that you and your parents enjoyed the stay here.

We are truly sorry that elevator wasn't working but now it works perfectly.

We hope, that if you will be in Prague next time, we will see you again in our hotel Royal Esprit.

Jiří Kulovaný

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Am I picky to expect from staff a little bit effort: get up when you talk to your guests (check- in/ check out...) this is their last/first impression of the place! Why receptionist cannot treat you as human being (exceppt one girl at the reception, she was nice)... smile? make sure all is ok and you dont need anything? look at you?
The breakfast was served in a weird room with no natural light but a very bored, yet very not helpful, waitress (maybe I wish to order a coffee???) hiding from her guests at the end of the room. There is no selection of egg dishes offered at all and I would expect that from a hotel this standard . . . when I asked if they offer eggs the answer was "no" I dont even know if the waitress understood me, maybe yes, maybe not but the answer is "no" even though the kitchen is running at this time. once again - no smile, no: "I am sorry we do not offer any omlettes but there are fried eggs on the hot plate"...

Room was ok, spacious, no view (1 st floor), bathroom ok too, a bit old but ok.

Location great!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank alinas
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Our second time to Praha and we stayed here. Just ok as the room a a bit old and carpet is iffy clean. People were nice and the breakfast buffet was good. Good location to walk to pretty much anywhere you want to go and not be too far away from the main activity.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple