“Great location; variable service”
Review of Old Town Square

Old Town Square
Ranked #107 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Rochester, Minnesota
“Great location; variable service”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed here in November 2011. The location was fantastic: smack in the center of Old Town with an unbeatable view of the square, Tyn Church, etc. (We stayed in a Junior Suite with a view; make sure to ask for a room with a view, if that's what you want.) We didn't have any issue with noise with the window closed and without any raucous celebration going on during the time we stayed. We found the modern and somewhat eclectic/minimalist decor to be a refreshing contrast to so much gothic aesthetics all around. The hotel is located in a pedestrian-only zone and is one floor above ground; there is no elevator, but the staff will help with your luggage across the square and up the stairs if they know your arrival time. The service was rather variable: the breakfast staff was very nice (& breakfast BTW was very nice and pleasant); responses to our email correspondences ranged from nice to terse, depending on who was doing the corresponding; the attitude of the English-speaking front desk/reception staff, 3 in all, ranged anywhere between perfunctory and sarcastic --and we were not even needy!

All in all, stay here for the location in the Old Town, but don't expect any true 5-star service (except for the English-speaking part). We moved to a different hotel for the latter part of our stay to be closer to our work-related meeting and were much more impressed with the service there.

Room Tip: If you are lucky enough to get Petr to answer your query, ask him for a quiet room (likely without a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank pln1961

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This is a review of the restaurant only!

I visited this restaurant in a group of 3 during a visit to Prague in June 2012. The Old Town Square Hotel and Residence is located on the right hand side of the Square, if you are facing the Tyn Church, so a lovely and central location - and the prices are a reflection of this.

As it was the summertime when we visited, they had al fresco seating which was a specially nice touch as they were showing the England v Italy game in the UEFA European Championships, so it was a nice and relaxing spot to sit and have dinner while we watched the game through the crowded square.

The food was of a very good standard, traditional Czech cuisine with some popular favourites thrown in to appeal to the tourists and less adventurous. The salmon with potatoes was particularly good, as were the pasta dishes. Another group of tourists on the adjacent table ordered satisfyingly large stacked hamburgers and they seemed happy to feed their lingering Sunday hangovers with the burgers (and wine!).

Dessert was probably the best part of the meal, where a home-made apple strudel made a nice end to the evening.

The only down-side of this restaurant is the price, which was rather high, even considering the location and time of year we had visited, however as the food was very good and the staff were prompt and attentive even though they were busy, I think I could overlook the extortionate pricing for another visit if I find myself in Prague again.

Overall: Delicious, pricy, good location. Would visit again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Pip_86_London
Rickenbach, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Poor standard for a 5*-Hotel. Dirty carpet and bathroom. Noisy room opposite of reception. No german speaking TV-program. Breakfast fresh but small selection. Would not recommend this hotel to other guests. It's too expensive overall.

1 Thank Ria P
Newcastle
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Firstly I want to say a big thank you to the wonderful staff who were very kind to both my boyfriend (who arrived before me) and I. The staff went out of their way to help make my boyfriends birthday a magic one and even delivered a complimentary bottle of champagne.
Nothing we asked was too much trouble! And they assisted very much on check out by holding the bags, calling hire cars for the airport, and letting me wait in the comfort of their coffee shop.
The location was simply AMAZING!!!! Right on Old Town Square with a view of the astronomical clock.
We felt completely spoilt with our room...we had the only one with a balcony! And we made sure we enjoyed it as much as possible.
Our room was HUGE...with a massive king sized bed and a chandelier to match : ) The bed was soooo comfortable (with lots of pillows), and the bathroom was bigger than some of the hotel rooms I had stayed in on my trip : )
We will definitely return...and very much look forward to it : )

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed October 23, 2012

1)Wonderful and helpful front desk. Peter (?) carried our luggage (12:30 am in the rain....good ol' train was late Munich to Prague) and escorted us with courtesy and kindness.
2)Location is PERFECT: 14th Century Astronomical clock was outside our window &
Winseslas Square was 5 minutes walk away
3)Plethora of restaurants (Hard Rock Cafe/Starbucks) almost right outside our door

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed here just last week and could not have been happier. We booked through expedia and there was a mistake and the hotel was overbooked the first two nights of our stay and we had to be moved at the last minute which we were not thrilled with at first. The general manager Helena was extremely accomadating with the situation. She personally met us at the other hotel and paid for our transportation. Upon arriving to the Old Town Square Hotel we were upgraded to a suite with a complimentary bottle of champagne. In my eyes they made up for the inconvenience but they didnt stop there. My birthday fell during the stay and Helena and her staff surprised me by singing happy birthday to me and then gave me a card signed by the entire staff and a box of chocolates. Helena and her staff were excellent and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

1 Thank christopher k
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We recently stayed at Old Town Sq. for 4 nights. Our room was not ready when we arrived. The room was so noisy that you could hear everything on the street until 3 AM. This was followed by the street cleaners and trash collectors. The bathroom was sleek, modern and awful. The tub was so high that you had to hoist yourself to climb into it. The shower door only extends halfway so the water collects in a ditch between the wall and tub,m pouring onto the floor. We tried to stop the flow with a rolled up towel at the end of the tub but it did not work. There were no shelves or towel bars in the bathroom so there was no place to put things. I stumbled and banged up both my knees trying to get out of a slippery tub with nothing to grab onto. The Internet crashed while I was trying to send an important e-mail and the desk clerk could not help since the modem was in another guest room. We had to take the computer to the cafe to use the Internet. The window air conditioner was so noisy you could not sleep. The breakfast was AWFUL. We were happy to leave!

Room Tip: Try a hotel 2 or 3 blocks away from Old Town Square.
2 Thank CookinTeacher
otsh, Manager at Old Town Square, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Sir, Madam

I feel sad that you found your stay with us so so bad, even more so that I did not have the time to speak to you in person my self.

To refer to some of the negative comments. Our check in time is set for 15:00, so I apologize if the room was not ready earlier, but with such a small hotel and hight occupancy, its difficult to enable everybody a room upon earlier arrivals. I apologize for the bathrooms, the flooding is unfortunately a big problem that I am aware of, but that would require a complete refurbishing of the bath itself. You mentioned that my staff only cleaned the bathroom after you told them it was flooded and not done anything else with it. That was because they are instructed to deal with waste-pipe when the guests are not in the room, to make sure you will not be disturbed.

As for the breakfasts, the choice is a standard choice of pastries, cheese, ham, cereals, eggs, fresh fruit etc. You are right in the sense that the café where breakfast is served is small and space limited, so we do not place everything on the buffet table. The advantage of this, is that everything is freshly made to order. I believe that girls are polite and offer anything you wish for, so I am quite unsure what happened, why the breakfast was considered by you as so bad.

Nevertheless, I still send my apologies, more so that I was unable to deal with it when you were there.