“Spacious with Great Location”

Iron Gate Hotel & Suites
Ranked #104 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Houston, Texas
“Spacious with Great Location”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The location of the Iron Gate was fantastic! Walking distance to so many of Prague's attractions. The room was very spacious and had a separate living area, foyer and one full bath and one half bath. The bed was very firm and a bit hard for us. The ceilings were painted beams and just beautiful. The staff was very helpful during our stay and very accommodating. We especially appreciate Kate's help at the front desk. We had the breakfast one morning and the buffet had a nice selection. Overall the experience at Iron Gate was great!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linda S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in Feb '13. The room was quite large and comfortable however there were aspects of it that I didn't like. The step into and out of the bathroom and into and out of the bedroom gave my toes a bit of a pounding. The windows were kinda small and the room I was in had a decent view of the old town so it would have been nice to have a larger window. Other than that it was a good stay. The staff were very helpful. It was a little hard for me to find as I was on foot, but Prague can be a little difficult to navigate anyway.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank casdobbin
Pasadena, California
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The Iron Gate is located in the perfect spot to be able to walk to Prague's major sites around the old center of town. The central courtyard has outdoor dining with excellent food but is also a lovely place to just hang out. The rooms are very spacious. The staff is very helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the terrace that overlooks the courtyard. There is only one.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WendyCob
United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Just returned from three nights at the Iron Gate with my teenage daughter. After a nightmare journey from Luton due to snow and fog, we arrived at 4am, and it was such a relief to find the hotel warm and welcoming, and full of olde world charm. I was careful in booking a Royal Suite, having read some of the reviews complaining about noise, and was happy to find that we were overlooking the courtyard. The room was perfectly clean, spacious and actually a little too warm (but we were able to open the windows and hear the chimes of the nearby clock tower, although this means you can also hear other 'hotel' noise, which the double glazing perfectly keeps out). The staff were very friendly and helpful, despite the occasional blip due to language barrier. And the location really is perfect for making the most of the old town. My only real criticism would be the breakfast - there is a wide selection, but not of the standard I would expect. But overall, I thought the hotel was very good and I would go back.

Room Tip: Royal Suite room 313 overlooks the courtyard rather than street
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Doretta H
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I have been staying at the Iron Gate for 7 years - this was our fourth stay. We clearly like the hotel despite this rating - the location is outstanding, very close to the astronomical clock and the centre of the old town and only 10 - 15 minutes walk from the Jewish Quarter and the Charles Bridge. The rooms are all different and they are generally fairly spacious and with great character. This stay was very disappointing, however, for several reasons. Firstly the rooms (315 and 316) were poor compared to all of the rooms that we have enjoyed previously - they weren't as spacious as usual, they didn't have a separate living area and the furnishing was a little drab. We couldn't use the wi fi in the rooms, which was a disadvantage. It isn't reasonable to expect guests to go down to reception just to pick up e - mails. In the past we have tried each of the different suite types - even the cheaper suites were better than these rooms. Most importantly the rooms overlooked the front of the hotel and the noise at night was appalling. For each of our four nights, crowds of 50 - 60 drunken youths congregated outside our rooms, shouting until after three in the morning. Taxis waited in the narrow street to compete for late night partygoers, sounded horns and generally made a constant noise. It was impossible to get to sleep until 3.30 - 4.00am. I think that a club may have opened in the vicinity since we last stayed a couple of years ago - we have always found the hotel to be a quiet oasis in the midst of the lively city but this was a very different experience. We also tried the restaurant that was very poor. It was totally empty each time we looked in, which should have been a warning. We tried it one night for the first time since our first visit 7 years ago. It was poor then and it was worse this time. The menu was pretty limited to start off with and the first two dishes that we selected were 'off'. The food was bland and the meat was overcooked and dry. This was the poorest meal that we had during our stay and the wine was quite expensive - I cannot see the restaurant surviving - its predecessors included a sub - let Indian restaurant that was pretty uninpressive and it eventually closed down - its successor is worse. The breakfasts were very simple but satisfactory. Finally, the hotel only has one very modest lounge area. It is one of the poorest features of the hotel but on this occasion we couldn't even use it as it was let out for conferences. As we were travelling with my wife's father we occasionally wanted to be able to have an area to sit together - all that was available was a sofa in the reception - really poor for a hotel in this price category. I have had some great stays at the Irongate and I have regularly recommended it despite some marked limitations. It will have to step up its game, however - this stay was poor and there are some very good hotels in Prague at considerably lower prices. I would think twice before staying there again and I certainly wouldn't recommend it again until I saw some marked improvements. On the plus side, the staff were as friendly and helpful as usual.

Room Tip: Dont stay at the front of the hotel if you want to sleep. From our stays in the past our favourite...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Brian C
Ronneby, Sweden
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is nicely situated in the old town of Prague, the old town square is just a few minutes walk away.The staff is friendly and the breakfast is good value for the money..The rooms surrounding the back yard is nice and clean.

Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Okatima
Belfort
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We spent our Christmas Holiday at the Iron gate hotel in one of the two floor suites. It was incredible! I could rave about everything: the value, the service, the amazing room that felt like a log cabin in the middle of the woods but was right in downtown Prague! From the moment we booked our hotel stay, we felt like royalty. I sent the front desk a quick email asking for restaurant recommendations since we'd be there over Christmas & I wasn't sure what might be open. They emailed me back immediately with a list of about 15 restaurants, a quick description, and what they liked most about the venue. They also emailed me their Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, & Boxing day menus for the hotel restaurant. The front desk made all of our reservations for us, including a ballet on Christmas Day and helped us find parking for the entire length of our stay. I just want to rave about this hotel!
The hotel room itself was spacious and comfortable. I loved the bedroom on the upper floor, it felt like home away from home. And the hotel is located just seconds from the square with the astronomical clock, and is just a short walk to everything else you might like to see.
The hotel restaurant was fantastic. For me the tables were a little close together - everyone was speaking very quietly at first because everyone could hear everyone, but the second that food started to be brought out the atmosphere changed instantly. The food was possibly the best I had in Prague. Exceeded my expectations!!

Thanks Iron Gate for an amazing Christmas Holiday!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple