Iron Gate Hotel & Suites
Savic Hotel(Prague)
Rott Hotel(Prague)
Hotel Dar(Prague)
1,033 results
All reviewsold town squareastronomical clockjunior suitepainted beamsperfect locationjacuzzi bathcharles bridgeliving areasitting roomthe main squarecharming hotellarge bathroombeautiful roombreakfast was includedbreakfast stafflong weekendquiet street
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed at the Iron Gate for 5 nights in August. I was a bit worried about the negative reviews. However, we had a great experience staying there. We got a quiet room, that was huge. There was a big living room and a bedroom. It was a bit too big for us (me & my husband). The bed & pillows were comfortable. The best is its location. It is so close to the Old Town Square and I can say you can walk to almost all the attractions. Breakfast, if you are not too demanding, was good enough to start a day. Staff were helpful; they helped us to book the tours out of Prague. We would love to stay at the Iron Gate agin if we visit Prague again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We had a week at the Irongate hotel which is set in a side street off the old town square . Please do not choose this hotel if you want a standard 5* chain hotel. If you want something different then this is for you. Hotel prices are high in Prague and the Irongate is no exception but if you book direct with them and pay the full amount in advance then it is a lot cheaper. The location is excellent. It is near to all the main areas of old town Prague. We took the no 22 tram to the castle and Lobkowicz Palace but everything else is a short walk. The hotel was built in the 14th century but only became an hotel a few years ago. It is quirky We had an enormous suite (no 206 which I had requested when I booked) with large study area, bedroom, walk in wardrobe, sitting room and two bathrooms. One bathroom had a walk in shower and the other had a jacuzzi bath. There were good quality toiletries provided in the bathrooms. There is a hairdryer.
The good points of the hotel are - Great location in a quiet street off the old town square . Room 206 is very quiet with no outside noise from any bars, restaurants or traffic. Efficient staff who will book the various tours of the city and tickets to concerts. Very clean with rooms cleaned daily, towels changed daily as long as you put them on the floor. The beds are changed every other day. Staff are very quick to respond to any needs. Room service. Thai massage on site. There is an outside cafe bar with comfortable armchairs which was a wonderful retreat from the heat and noise of Prague. WIFI is free but is only available in the breakfast and reception area. We were given an ethernet cable for my laptop in the room. The hotel car can be booked at short notice. We used this car to and from the airport and also to go to the opera house.
The bad points and I am sorry to say there are quite a few. If I pay 5* prices then I expect excellent quality and service in hotels. Some of the staff on the desk are not very friendly but curt in their manner. They were not welcoming when we arrived and there was no welcome drink which is usual in a 5* hotel. Perhaps it is a language problem. The antique furniture in room 206 is in need of restoration. The 2 sofas in room 206 need replacing. The hotel lounge is dark and uninviting and no-one seemed to use it whilst we were there. The breakfast room is small,cramped and claustrauphobic. If you eat breakfast later and do not feel the cold then you can eat outside . Breakfast is good if you like cereal, fruit, bread, ham and cheese. The cooked breakfast which consisted of scrambled eggs, very fatty bacon and awful sausages was not up to a 2* standard. We ordered omlettes and they were edible, I had to send one back as it was overcooked but they did not argue and they cooked a new one for me. The napkins were very small paper squares - 5* hotels should have linen napkins. We had lunch at the hotel on one day only . It was okay but Prague has so many restaurants just steps away from the hotel that are so much better quality that I would recommend you each elsewhere.
The main chain hotels seem to be further out from the center of Prague and not near any of the main attractions and theatres and so I am glad we chose this hotel despite its shortcomings.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Diana M
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Many others have mentioned the location and yes it is that good. Just off of Old Town Square, short walking distance to Josefov, Charles Bridge, Vaclav Square and still quiet and relaxed once you step inside from Michalska street which has a few restaurants (not recommended by TA) and a cool and popular vodka bar. You can of course stay right on the Old Town Square as well but expect a lot more noise as it seems to be busy there 24/7
Our room was on the top floor and next to the tower suite. Very quiet, very comfortable with one of the most responsive airconditioning systems I have used. The beds (twin) were a bit narrow but again very comfortable, there was a large bathroom with bathtub and a comfortable sofa, and old stylish furniture in dark wood that fit in very well with the Old Town boutique hotel concept. The hotel offers airport pickup at a slightly higher rate than the "honest" taxis but given the reputation of Prague taxi drivers and the queues at the airport it´s absolutely worth it.
What could improve then? Breakfast was not quite up to 5* standard, barely 3* as there was little choice and no possibility to for example get eggs/omelette made to order, and the technical infrastructure was substandard with wifi too weak for any meaningful net use in the room (reception area/ground floor was fine though) and an ancient CRT tv which seemed about to give up any minute. Still, I can highly recommend the Iron Gate hotel due to its location, comfort and excellent staff.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This place is amazing just about any way you look at it! We stayed here over a long weekend and really enjoyed it! The staff was top notch - VERY accomodating, super helpful, very professional. I'd give them 5 stars for the staff alone, but the rooms (we stayed in 315 and 314) were incredible! The tall ceilings were hand painted and gave a lot of charm to the room. The bathrooms very spacious (though the shower heads were very short for tall folk!) and modern.

As some have said, the noise off the street was a bit loud. I had my iPhone playing the whole night to drown it out but if you live in a big city, it's nothing you haven't heard before. Overall, we were very pleased with the whole experience!

Room Tip: Room 314 was REALLY great! High ceilings, roomy and had a little balcony for access. About 150 Euro/night!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LynnieLou619
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Had a short midweek break in Prague and stayed at the Iron Gate Hotel for three nights. Every member of staff that we talked to was helpful and courteous.

Our room was located on the top floor where we were not disturbed by any of the noise outside. I agree with a previous poster that the hotel website should warn of all the stairs but, hey, it's a medieval building and the charm of it is its quirky character. I think we found four different ways from our room to reception.

The breakfast was good, with a selection of various foods.

Thye location was perfect, 2 minutes from the Old Town Square with all of its attractions including the Astronomical Clock (a must do visit), 5 minutes from Charles Bridge and ten minutes from Wenceslas Square.

All in all an excellent hotel, we were very impressed!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the fourth floor are quirkier and quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple