“Price/quality ratio!”
Review of Jidelna SvEtozor

Jidelna SvEtozor
Ranked #818 of 6,403 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: Diner, Czech
Neighborhood: Nove Mesto (New Town)
Neighborhood: Nove Mesto (New Town)
Reviewed January 21, 2020 via mobile

Like the previous reviewers, myself and my pal visited here based on Honest Guide

We weren't disappointed! We arrived around quarter of an hour before it closed yet service was still relatively efficient and friendly. We both went for goulash and frankfurter in sauce with dumplings plus a half litre of Gambrinus, and the bill amounted to around 5 Euro! (CZK120)

I will stress that I have had (much) better food, but I have paid five to seven times the price! Hence the 5-star review.

We need a Jidelna Svetozor in Manchester!

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (88)

Reviewed January 20, 2020

We had lunch in SvEtozor based on the recommendation from the Prague's Honest Guide and it was spot on. A no frill cafeteria filled with local Czechs for their lunch break. Selections are limited with daily specials, there is an English menu taped on one of the columns so you need to search for it but good meals. Don't be surprised if you gets looks when you walk in but it's a friendly look. Just pick up a tray and follow the line to get your choice of dishes. The cashier is friendly but her English is not that good but she is helpful. My wife asked about a salad which was in Czech and the cashier googled the translation!

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed January 14, 2020 via mobile

My wife and I visited on 14 January 2020 on the recommendation of YouTube channel Honest Guide (Well worth checking out).

The restaurant is essentially a canteen for locals which has its positives and negatives.

The positives:

First of all the food is delicous, authentically Czech with large portions and great value for money. I had Beef Goulash with dumplings and my wife had Roast Pork with cabbage and dumplings. Together with two soft drinks it cost 278 CZK about £9.00 which in the centre of Prague is cheaper even than fast food outlets.

The negatives:

The service is lacking which we knew would be the case despite trying to order in Czech and smiling. They are efficient and want you to just order and eat up with the minimum of fuss.

Don't let the above put you off though and be realistic in your expectations. My wife and I wouldn't hesitate recommending to others or coming back ourselves in future.

Date of visit: January 2020
1  Thank AndrewWhitby85
Reviewed September 23, 2019

Foremost, this is a spot for locals, not tourists; so do not expect a restaurant experience, it is a canteen. Most importantly, trying to speak some Czech words goes a long way here. We found the staff helpful as a result. If you want hearty, cheap food, this is the place. We really enjoyed the food we had, and an English menu is in the corner. Soup was lovely. However, go after the local lunch rush, so you can get a seat.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed July 21, 2019

At the Svetozor eatery, (July19, 2019 afternoon) we were not able to cut the meat, in the dish we ordered, when we finally got a piece cut, we couldn't chew it, we thought it would get better, so because we were hungry, and we have good teeth, we kept on trying, but with no succes. The rest of the dish was good! When we took our disaster chewed meat, to show it to them, the cashier lady said, that we should have brought it to her attention before eating, not in the middle and, that she does not care if we will write a review about it! She started to be hostile and, downright rude, so we rather quickly exited. We have never had an experience like this before, we were left in shock and, it ruined the rest of our day! Needless to say we will never go back!
Petr and Barbora Krcek.