“Superb location, comfortable stay”

Charles Bridge Residence
Ranked #23 of 364 Prague B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 6, 2013

It's extremely rare to find a hotel which ticks all boxes in a major tourist destination like Prague, but the Charles Bridge Residence is one of them. Let me break my review down into the pros and cons:

Pros:
1. Location - The hotel is literally half a minute's walk from the Charles Bridge and the Lesser Town square, and around 5-10 minutes' walk from the Old Town square. We took the tram just once, and that too because we wanted to experience travelling by the old Prague tram and not because we needed to get anywhere. There's people on the streets round the clock and the area has a good Tourist Police presence - so safety is assured. In spite of the milling crowds, the double windows shut *all* the noise out, so that's a major loophole that's plugged.

2. Room - Large room with a large bed, sofa, TV and work desk, clean bathroom. What else does one ask for as a tourist in a city like Prague? Oh yes, everything is kept clean and tidy, and the room is cleaned everyday.

3. Service - Michal was always available to help us, from explaining everything about the room, hotel and Prague upon our arrival, to helping us find places and things to do in Prague, to pointing us to great deals. Note, however, that this is not a hotel with staff present 24/7, so you're on your own after working hours, but then, Michal can be reached if you need anything urgently.

4. Breakfast - They give you coupons to a restaurant in the street below. The spread isn't massive, but what you get to eat is excellent. The breakfast kept us going till late afternoon!

Cons:

1. Cooling - We stayed in the hotel when the temperature was still in single digits (celsius), so we had no complaints. But I am not sure how comfortable it is in summer - we didn't notice an AC.

2. No lift/elevator - Our room was on the third storey and we were out of breath hauling our luggage when we arrived. If you're very unfit or your health can't hold up to climbing up several flights of stairs, then this isn't the place for you.

3. Wi-fi - The wi-fi signal was really sporadic (but fast when we did pick up signal). But I don't see how this is a major concern if you're out to enjoy your holiday and break free from your virtual world.

The way I see it, the negatives aren't absolute negatives. We weren't significantly affected by any of these enough to ruin our stay. Hence, I'm awarding the Charles Bridge Residence five stars!

Room Tip: Easier to climb up to the rooms on the first and second floors, obviously!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Atyanand
Michal_Musil, Manager at Charles Bridge Residence, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for so detailed review. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay. Please contact me directly in the future should you consider another stay and I will personally arrange a very special price for you.

There are newer reviews for Charles Bridge Residence

Reviewed May 4, 2013

I was stay there for 4 nights with my mom and my sister. The room was really big and comfortable. They cleaned up the room everyday. And staff there are really nice and helpful. Before I got there, I mailed to them several times and they always answered my questions very quickly and let me feel that they really care about your need. Oh and the breakfast they provided was also very tasty :)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Michal_Musil, Manager at Charles Bridge Residence, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for very nice review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with your mom and sister in our Charles Bridge Residence. Please contact me directly in the future should you consider another stay and I will personally arrange a very special price for you.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

This hotel is great where it's most important: it's clean, comfortable, close to interesting things, and reasonably priced. What keeps it from getting a higher rating is the following: I needed help twice from the front desk and no one was there so I called Michel and he told me to look at the brochures in the room and call him back if I still needed help; the tours he referred me to in the brochures were WAY over priced compared to tours that I found online; WiFi connection was weak so most times couldn't connect; the breakfast place was just okay - coffee wasn't very good, food was okay, service was sorta slow. I was really glad I was on the first floor since my luggage was heavier than I thought it would be and there's not an elevator.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Wanderer2662

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your stay and your review. I would like to clarify the situation. We are in the office most of the day but we don’t have 24h front desk. If you need any assistance you could call me anytime you want free of charge from your room. We are cooperating with two biggest and most popular tour companies in Prague that are offering high quality service for reasonable prices. If you had any problem with your internet connection, you should tell me and would be happy to help you.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I were in Prague for 5 nights and we were so happy to have found such a lovely and convenient place to stay. Our room was very comfortable and roomy. The bathroom was large with a nice shower and a hairdryer. The bed was so comfortable that I fell asleep in a wink after our long flight in from Boston. Everything was spotlessly clean. The location is outstanding, just at the end of the Charles Bridge. Our host did all that he could to insure that our visit was happy, even arranging transportation from the airport. Our breakfasts were as substantial as we wanted and essentially filled us up for most of the day. This B&B is right in the heart of the tourist district and it is very easy to access anything in Prague that you would want to see. We were so glad we chose this hotel and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Michal_Musil, Manager at Charles Bridge Residence, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for very nice review. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with your husband in our Charles Bridge Residence. Please contact me directly in the future should you consider another stay and I will personally arrange a very special price for you.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We just completed a 3 night stay and would do it again. We were well cared for. We arrived late at night but were met by a cheerful host who patiently and thoroughly explained details about our stay. The room was well arranged, clean and neat. The locations is absolutely fantastic in the middle of the tourist district. The included breakfasts at Bohemian Bagels was excellent. We highly recommend Charles Bridge Residence.

• Stayed: April 2013
Michal_Musil, Manager at Charles Bridge Residence, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Dear guests,
Thank you so much for this positive review. It has been our pleasure looking after you.
Please contact me again should you consider another stay and I will personally arrange a very special price for you.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

What a great find this was. Our family of 4 had a huge family/quad room that was quiet, clean and roomy. The bathroom was a good size (full size shower) as well.

The location is outstanding -- just over the Charles Bridge. Close enough to get to Old Town easily (across the wonderful bridge) yet on the less busy/touristy side.

As mentioned, breakfast is across the street at the Bohemian Bagel which was fine.

The hosts answered questions via e-mail ahead of time and we got a good overview upon arrival. They aren't the type to check on you every day, but that suits us fine. We had an issue with the shower drain draining slowly and that got right on it.

The price was reasonable (and fantastic compared to 2 rooms elsewhere). We were very pleased with our choice.

One caveat: we were up 3 long flights of stairs which might be an issue for some.

Dear guests,
Thank you very much for your nice review. Although there was the small problem with the shower drain I am very happy that enjoyed your stay in our Residence.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

The many recommendations we read about Charles Bridge Residence persuaded us to stay for 3 nights and I'm very glad we did. It proved to be faultless from the moment we arrived, coupled with being situated in what is possibly the best location in Prague. Communication by e-mail was very good and our room and bathroom were both large and spotlessly clean. The beds were very comfortable, including the extra bed in our room as we stayed as a family. Our room at the back on the top floor was very quiet and the heating proved to be very adjustable so we were always able to achieve the right temperature. The arrangement with breakfast vouchers for the cafe across the street worked well and we found the food to be both tasty and filling. Having a convenience store opposite proved to be an added bonus. We checked-out just before 11 am, but were given the use of a luggage room on the ground floor, which meant that we were able to make full use of our final day before our late afternoon flight. We would not hesitate to return to Charles Bridge Residence and can thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: As other reviewers have commented, ask for a room on a lower floor if you find stairs difficult.
1  Thank Simon B
Michal_Musil, Manager at Charles Bridge Residence, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your nice words in your review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with your family in our Residence. We will be glad to welcome you once again.