“Charles IV and the Making of Prague”

Context Prague Tours
Ranked #141 of 533 Tours in Prague
More attraction details
Owner description: Context Prague walking tours are led by local scholars for a group of up to 6 people maximum. Our seminars cover the history of Prague from Charles IV through the Velvet Revolution.
Reviewed May 4, 2014

My friends and I were very pleased with this Context Travel walking tour. The local Context coordinator was very helpful and kindly arranged a private walk for us, as we were not able to join one of the regularly scheduled tours. Our docent, Katerina, was both enthusiastic and knowledgeable, and we thoroughly enjoyed the 3 hour walk, from the castle across the Charles Bridge to the Old Town. I would highly recommend this tour to anyone visiting Prague. I have also joined Context Travel tours in other cities and have never been disappointed - these walks are a wonderful way to learn about any city's history, architecture and culture.

Paul B, Manager at Context Prague Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Dear Martha,

Many thanks for taking the time to write and share your kind words. We're so pleased you enjoyed your experience with us, both before and during your trip to Prague. As you know from having taken walks with us in other cities, we a offer a unique opportunity to spend time with local scholars and experts like Katerina to understand the city in real depth. It's always a pleasure to connect with those who have experienced what we do first hand.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Context soon!

Best regards,

Natalie

Reviewed January 8, 2014

The group tour Art Nouveau and Modernism was superb ! Our docent, Vadim Erent, is highly intelligent, enthusiastic and so knowledgeable that as quickly as we moved throughout the city, I wished that we had had several more hours to learn from him. He gave so generously of his time and he offered such interesting insights. Context docents are well educated and so knowledgeable about the world in general , which affords the participants a deeper and richer understanding of the art, history and architecture that is being viewed. The small group nature of the walks enhances the personal experience .
Context Walking tours offer scholarly, but not stodgy, docents who freely share the secrets of their new home as they teach the local history, art, and architecture. My family and I have participated in various Context tours through out Europe, and we always feel that our trip would not have been complete without them. The administrative offices of Context are an invaluable asset even before you depart. I communicated frequently with the Central Europe Team and they were helpful, informative and always an email away.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

My wife and I recently took a context walk in Prague. My son and I had taken the same walk a few months before. This is one of many context walks we have taken in many cities. As always the walk was fantastic. We spent three hours with a marvelous guide who was fabulously well versed in the subject and a really great communicator. The information really adds a level of understanding and appreciation of a wonderful city like Prague. Context walks are a staple of any vacation for us.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We have just returned from a four city tour, but the one we came home appreciating the most was Prague, where we took three context tours. There were no tours that worked with our schedule, so they kindly arranged a private tour for us- but since there were four of us it was charged to us at group tour rates. Our tour guide, Katerina Prusova, was a terrific resource. She was sensitive to the needs and interests of our group, and she knows enough about her subject matter to field any question. As she has advance degrees in both art history and Jewish studies, she was a fabulous resource for our tours, Art Nouveau and Modernism,Habsburgs & Jesuits: Conflict under the Bohemian Crown, and Jewish Prague . I am sure their other guides are equally qualified, but we felt very lucky to have her, as she brought both passion and intelligence to her tours.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

This tour was absolutely fantastic. It took us away from the city center and took us through areas that were witness to the political events shaping Czechoslovakia from the end of World War II to the Velvet Revolution in 1989.

Our guide, Jakub - an academic whose specialty actually is ancient Greek theater! - has a passionate interest in his country's Communist era, and his enthusiasm was contagious. He was very knowledgeable, very engaging, and very personable.

If you want to have a fuller understanding of today's Prague - and want to spend some time away from the crowds at the usual tourist sites - I recommend this tour.

This was the third Context tour my husband and I have taken. We have never been disappointed.

1  Thank Liza1405