“Excellent”

Ranked #223 of 5,760 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: European, French, Czech
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stare Mesto (Old Town)
Description: Our gourmet restaurant is located in the historical center of Prague, near the Old Town Square. It is a restaurant built on the expertise of recognized personalities of Czech gastronomy. Top Chef Mirek Kalina prepares culinary delights accompanied by wines from traditional European winemakers which are served by recognized sommelier Vit Hepnar. Have you already visited Kalina Restaurant? Please rate us here on TripAdvisor. Thank you.
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We slightly ended up in Kalina by accident. We were staying in Prague for the first time and asked the hotel to make some recommendations, of which Kalina was not one. However, a friend had recommended a restaurant that he thought was called Kalina on the river, and so we booked it!
Clearly nowhere near the river and hardly inspiring when you walk in, but that was the last thing that was in any way disappointing. The food and service are almost faultless - staff are attentive, but not overly so, and the delivery of each dish is exceptional. I started with Celeriac Soup with Lobster Ravioli, which I can honestly say as a chef was one of the best thing I have ever eaten. The Tournedos were faultless and the Czech Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir were excellent choices by the sommelier and made a refreshing and good value alternative to what appeared to be a good selection of European wines.
There are evidently many very, very good restaurants in Prague, but if you want something out of the top drawer then I would strongly recommend that you include Kalina on your culinary tour, and at £80 for two including two courses, wines and a couple of aperitifs, pretty good value too.

1  Thank davidawatt

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Had dinner with some local friends who recommended this restaurant. Always listen to locals! Excellent staff and food was great for all of us, no exception.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

We had dinner here without prior booking. We were impressed by the creativity of the menu. Price was on the slightly high end by Prague standard but they were using good ingredients. The wine list was impressive as well.

I had a white truffle pasta which was perfectly made and at 450 czk it was a steal. My friend had a fried veal fillet which was ok but not that special. We had a lemon tart for dessert and it was well balanced and well executed. There was a few starters that were interesting enough for a try, but I passed as I've had a big lunch.

Overall really enjoyed it and I would have gone back here for a full menu if I had another chance. This place is definitely up there compared to many Michelin starred places in London or across Europe.

1  Thank YFCheung
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I don't want to be mean, but I was disappointed by the actual quality of the food. Sure, the presentation and service was all very poncey and "fine dining", but my expectations were for traditional well cooked meals. Instead there was an attempt to do the minimalist reduced cuisine one can find in any European city. Too pretentious for my tastes, I'm afraid.

1  Thank MH64
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

We had the last dinner of our Prague visit at the Kalina restaurant. The food was exquisite! I had the wild boar's knee which was absolutely delicious and the best meal I've had in five visits to Prague!
The sommelier was very knowledgeable and changed our mind in the choice of wine. All five of my party thoroughly relished our meals and I look forward to visiting this restaurant on my next visit to Prague. I would recommend this restaurant unreservedly!

1  Thank Satchitian