“Be a Tourist and Meet Locals”

The Green Garland Pension
Ranked #21 of 364 Prague B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I stayed at the Green Garland for a week in January 2012 and by the end of the stay felt like family. Jana and Pavel were extremely welcoming and gracious, from our first e-mails to the moment we said goodbye. I knew I could count on them for advice and all sorts of help. The rooms were cozy and quiet, and the beds were comfy. Anything extra you needed for the room could be provided by reception.

As others have mentioned, the location is amazing. The hotel is not only in Prague's central, historic Old Town, it is on a quiet little street south of the main tourist drag that features THREE amazing kavarnas (cafes). After seeing the sights, I practically lived in these cafes and made many wonderful local friends. But the great thing is that you can sit alone and read with a pilsner in one place, have a rowdy conversation in the next, or get some work done over coffee and quiche in the next. Staying on Retezova Street means you get to be a tourist and have a taste of the relaxed, local experience as well. Then you come home to the friendly folks at the Green Garland and think "Why do I even want to leave Prague?"

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank ElleMoth
There are newer reviews for The Green Garland Pension

Reviewed January 9, 2012

I was nearby Prague by business needs and decided to keep couple of day for visiting old Prague, which I am very loving in and to drink a chech beer, the best in the world, I think. I found Pension through the Internet and never regretted. Most important in Prague is localisation of your bed. Because eating is not expensive and it is a lot around, also beer drinking pubs and knipes are a lot here. Pension "U Zelenogo Vence" located in the best center of Old Prague, but in quite small street - not a lot of people coming through. The rooms are clean, the breakfast is good enough and the personal is VERY hospitable. Also prices is very reasonable. Next time my visiting Prague, I hope I could stay here again.
Best regards to everybody
Alexander Savon
Svetlana Borisova,
Riga, Latvia

Room Tip: Any room is OK
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AlexSavon
Reviewed December 19, 2011

After having difficulty in locating the Green Garland (a GPS would have been very helpful!) we were delighted with our accommodations and breakfasts. Driving in old town Prague is very challenging, so either use public transit or get very good instructions on how to get there. Once you find it, everything is great! Clean, spacious rooms and a lovely dining area for breakfast. There are many great restaurants located nearby, too.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ben B
Reviewed December 18, 2011

I would highly recommend the Green Garland to anyone staying in Prague! It's very conveniently located to the Charles Bridge and the Old Town Square (probably within 5 minutes walking to both) along a quiet street.

The hotel itself is clean and spacious. There were three of us traveling together and we had lots of room to spread out and be comfortable during our stay. If I had one "gripe" it would be the long flight of stairs leading to the rooms (there is no elevator), but as the building is historic - there's not a lot to be done about it and I wouldn't let it deter you from staying here.

I can't say enough about how gracious the staff is at the Green Garland. They provide great hospitality from your welcome to the morning breakfast to providing guidance on Prague. My friend's luggage lock become stuck and they even provided tools to cut it open! Everyone we met was friendly, helpful, and went above and beyond to ensure our stay was pleasant.

If you're looking for a lovely place in Prague, you can't go wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank HiloYoshi
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Me, my wife and 18-yr-old daughter spent 6 nights here last week. I last visited 5 years ago, with a group and we stayed there then, following Tripadvisor recommendations. It's still outstanding value for money, the staff are still superb, and of course it's in the same place (!).
A 20 minute circular walk will take you to the bottom of Wenceslas Square, down through the Old Town Square to the Jewish Quarter and then back along the river to Charles Bridge. OK, you'd want to stop but it's just to give an idea of exactly how perfect the location is.
The rooms were over warm ( Prague's had it very mild so far ) but the heaters were adjustable.
Our flight arrived 25 minutes early yet the taxi arranged was waiting, and it was prompt for our return. We were able to store our bags for the whole day following checkout. Jana, Alice and Pavel ensured that U Zeleneho Vence continues to be thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms 8 & 9 are joined via a lounge area, which my friends found to be great last time. For two...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 11, 2011

The B&B was in a fantastic location, a short 5-minute walk to the Old Town Square. Location could not have been better! The staff was very friendly, professional and hospitable especially when my friend had a problem with her luggage lock and needed heavy duty tools to cut it open! Could not have asked for more in terms of service. The B&B is located in a nice quiet street with great restaurants and many shops nearby. If getting to this hotel via metro, I would suggest using the Staromĕstká stop over the Můstek stop as it’s basically a straight shot down Valentinská and Husova streets. (The other stop is a smidge complicated with lots of twists and turns and cut-throughs that make navigating somewhat complicated).

Our room was amazingly large and spacious with 3 single beds and a loveseat sofa (on the 2nd floor facing the small sidestreet). In addition, we were able to adjust the heating which wasn’t always possible in other hotels that we were stayed at. This was key given that it was chilly between 30-40s in November. This particular room did not have a tv, but I was half expecting this based on others' reviews on tripadvisor. The website did indicate that rooms had tvs... I did not mind at all about the lack of tv, given that there are so many things to see and do in Prague and were barely in the room at all for tv watching. We also had access to a small kitchenette which was great for making hot water and tea. This was located in a common area shared by only one other room. One drawback was the wifi signal was not strong or fast in the room we were in or downstairs in the breakfast room. My friend had better luck connecting on her laptop computer outside of our room in a common connecting space between 2 rooms. All in all it was a wonderful stay and would recommend staying here!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank lmm303
Reviewed October 7, 2011

We stayed at the Green Garland for 3 nights in Sept. for 7500 CZK. It has a great location for the old town and adjacent areas; helpful staff (especially Jana); large quiet room (#7) on a small side street; good price (now takes credit cards); and with the money you save you can splurge in some of Prague' excellent restaurants (some e.g., V Zatisi just down the street) that rank with the best in the world. They will loan you a hair dryer and outside the office they have a cooler with water/beer/other for sale on the honor system. No a/c but it was comfortable when we were there. Breakfast was basic but fine in an inviting room. Good recommendations as to restaurants. They will also arrange for transers Re the airport if needed. No tv and some stairs, but we will stay there again on our next visit.

Room Tip: #7 was huge and faced the garden so it was quiet. It also was 1 floor down from some of the other ro...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple