“Fabulous museum!”
Review of Gastronomy Museum Prague - CLOSED

Gastronomy Museum Prague
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Due to technical reasons Gastronomy Museum Prague exhibits are open to upfront registered groups of minimum 5 people. For reservations please call or SMS Thank you for your kind understanding. Museum is depicting in very vivid form entire history of cooking and food preparation from early days of human kind, through stone age, medieval smoke kitchen, renaissance palace kitchen, first coal, gas and electrical stove, origin and forms of beer brewing, story of distillates, wine regions in CR and list of famous chefs in history of culinary arts.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

You'll realize here how much you don't know or have forgotten about the history of food. I read every piece of information and learned a lot. How did prehistoric man eat prior to fire? What is the history of the fork? Who were the historical chefs, their cuisine philosophies - what did they pass onto us about food viable today? View historical and state-of-the-art kitchens.Prague museums are super and the Gatronomy a highlight for me.
The staff comes in to offer further information on occasion and were lovely and helpful.

(I'm not sure what facilities the museum offers. I was too interested to notice. I believe I stay about three hours.)

1  Thank Oceantraveler44

Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

We visited as we were nearby and saw positive reviews but apart from the highlight of a glass of meade with the owner and a friendly chat at the end, the actual exhibits are pretty poor, sorry. A jumble of random cooking utensils, books and props with information overload made this a visit to forget. Bless the owner who is enthusiastic and kind, but the rest is really not worth your time or money.

GastronomyMuseum, Owner at Gastronomy Museum Prague, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Oh dear, thank you for mentioning the friendly chat with me, but then I do not understand why you did not openly express your disappointment. I would be more than glad to explain to you the chronologically organized system of all exhibits where you could see entire history of cooking and food preparation from early days of humanity, 3D reconstructions of historical kitchens from stone age, medieval smoke kitchen, renaissance and baroque kitchen, first coal, gas and electrical stove, origin and forms of beer brewing, story of distillates, wine regions in CR and list of famous chefs in the history of Culinary Arts. Collection of gastronomy related illustrations is unique in the world. All this is probably what is so much appreciated by other visitors.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I just loved this museum! It is a gem that I am so glad I discovered while in Prague this past weekend. Such interesting and elaborate artifacts and history of cooking, kitchens, cook books and more. Also, as a side note, the people that work there are so friendly and helpful -- you can ask them anything. A very special place indeed!

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Like a lot of the "Museums" in Prague they are small but full of great information, and worth stopping to read all the literature, or you will miss out also never the cheapest, but then haven't done "Tourism" for a long time. Lino Len.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I might be spoiled, but I expected more from this museum.

The museum was a little hard to find and a bit isolated from the rest of the sights. Upside of the visit was that it was packed with interesting information, but with no one to present it! The ending result was that we were overwhelmed with information written on the walls so we didn't read at least half of the (poorly) presented material.

GastronomyMuseum, Manager at Gastronomy Museum Prague, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

cptsudoku
Belgrade, Serbia
Thank you for your comment and believe us, that we feel sorry for your disappointment even more that it was obviously a total misunderstanding. Yes, all exhibits texts are only in CZ and EN, but we are providing hand-outs in other languages for free. It is clearly stated at the Museum front desk or the website, that guides are available to every visitor, totally for FREE to lager groups, or lump sum fee of 15.- EUR to singles or smaller groups of individuals. So we are sure that your next visit will give you the same positive experience, as to a majority of the TripAdvisor Reviewers visiting Gastronomy museum Prague, before you.