“Could be more international ?”
Review of Gastronomy Museum Prague - CLOSED

Gastronomy Museum Prague
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Due to technical reasons Gastronomy Museum Prague exhibits are open to upfront registered groups of minimum 5 people. For reservations please call or SMS Thank you for your kind understanding. Museum is depicting in very vivid form entire history of cooking and food preparation from early days of human kind, through stone age, medieval smoke kitchen, renaissance palace kitchen, first coal, gas and electrical stove, origin and forms of beer brewing, story of distillates, wine regions in CR and list of famous chefs in history of culinary arts.
Reviewed September 5, 2012

It's early days for this museum, the owner and his wife are charming and courteous hosts. My (professional cook) wife loved the reconstructed kitchen scenes - starting in the Stone Age - on the ground floor. Some of the later exhibits made me feel a bit ancient, I remember the near-lethal early electric toasters well. Upstairs there is a demonstration of the latest cooking technology from a well-known US brand who perhaps have a hand in supporting the museum. Also a history of famous French chefs and the story of tableware and table manners.

If they get the chance, and space is limited, I'd like them to add more on non-European cooking traditions - not a wok was to be seen, nor any mention of foo-foo pounding or sushi. But it's an enterprising museum, a welcome retreat from the crowds in nearby Old Town Square, and the T-shirts are good, too !

1  Thank RBM056

Reviewed August 27, 2012

My husband and I turned a corner near Prague's charming Old Town Square and ran into the Gastrenomy Museum.. So glad we wandered in! The lovely owners provided a brief overview before we set out to view the exhibits, and caught up with us again at the end to answer questions. A fun stop that was most unexpected and simply enjoyable.

2  Thank 123LetsGo123
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We had seen all the main sites of Prague and as the museum was close to our hotel went on our last day. The wife of the architect owner personally showed us around and took great pride in the exhibits. The ground floor is a brief overview of cooking history starting with prehistoric man. Upstairs is some information on international gastronamers and a moden kitchen ( sponsored by whirlpool ) . Try the tap - the water is lit blue when cold and red when hot! Cute , fun and worth a visit.

2  Thank Lirkod
Reviewed August 23, 2012

As a huge fan of No Reservations, Avec Eric... various orher cooking-travel related shows (and someone with absolutely no actual cooking experience) I found this museum to be so fun and full of information. The people who run it are a delight and greeted us at the door with mini macaroons. It was a lovely experience at a good price!

1  Thank leahklay