“Even the cheap seats are fantastic”
Review of National Theater

Ranked #29 of 1,047 things to do in Prague
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My family and I attended the opera The Bartered Bride on a Sunday evening. We purchased tickets that cost 350 Kc each (about $17 USD) through our hotel concierge the morning of the event, and were very pleased with the outing. It was by far one of the highlights of our eight day stay in Prague. I would highly recommend attending an opera here. The interior is gorgeous, with red velvet seats and red velvet covered banisters on the upper level. We arrived a five minutes late, and the opera had begun, so we were not permitted to go to our seats. We were shown to the upper balcony, where we watched the opera until intermission. Even from there, we could clearly see the performers, read the subtitles, and take in the decadence of the theater.

One drawback was that the people sitting next to us were trying to pen a bag of potato chips during the opera. This was a tacky and un classy thing to do, as we were in an opera house watching an opera, not at a movie theater watching a film.

We also attended a concert in the Municipal House, in Smetana Hall, by the Prague Symphony Orchestra. The venue was not as nice as the National Theater. If you only have time to see one performance, make it an opera at the National Theater.

1  Thank Lea A

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I attended a Czech Opera Sept 16 at the National Theater. Lots of locals visit the opera and it is a nice way to soak up some of the local culture for 2.5 hours. I sat in the upper level which was 350 czech crowns. I wish I would have spent more to sit in the lower levels with the booths because there was no legroom where I sat. I'm 6 feet tall and was really uncomfortable almost to the point that I was going to leave, but I stuck it out. I believe the lower level with individual booths were 800 czech crowns per seat and if I had to do it again, I would have spent the money for the comfort. The opera was in Czech, but there were English subtitles, so I was able to follow most of the opera.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Our son who lives in Prague booked tickets for 5 of us to see Aida as part of the Verdi Festival. If you enjoy opera or ballet this is the place to go! A magnificently restored 19th century building, the inside is beautifully traditional and ornate. The outside is still being cleaned up. There is a balcony to enjoy an interval prosecco, the seats were traditional and comfortable, and we had an excellent view from the 1st circle. The musical standards were high, and it was a bargain compared with the UK. We'll definitely go again when next in Prague.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Watched The Sorcerer's Apprentice ballet at the theatre. What a beautiful venue, and a fantastic show! Would love to go there again!!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

This museum is closed for extensive réservations so check before you make the effort to visit it if it has re-opened.