“Be warned! Kourzelny Cirkus (‘Magic Circus’) is an amateur production, for children at best.”

Laterna Magika Stage
Book In Advance
More Info
$8.81*
and up
90-Minute Kickstart Guided Walking Tour of Prague
Ranked #105 of 145 Concerts & Shows in Prague
More attraction details
Owner description: Laterna magika counts its history since the year 1958. The first period, created by the director Alfred Radok and stage-designer Josef Svoboda began at the world exhibition EXPO 58 in Brussels, Belgium. The programm showed in the Czechoslovak pavilion was named Laterna magika and later gave its name to the theatre in Prague, reconstructed at 1959 after the worldwide success on EXPO.The second period was presented on the EXPO 67 in Montreal, Canada and as well as on the EXPO 70 in Osaka, Japan and with these performances travelled the theatre through the world.In the half of seventieth became Laterna magika the part of the National Theatre in Prague, on the head with the artistic director Josef Svoboda, who was at the beginning of this special medium, which does not use the words, only the combination of film projection and life stage media?s - dance, sound, lights, pantomime, black-theatre e.t.c.There is a basic effort which is creating the face of Laterna magika till today - searching of the way to a specific theatre which is able to narrate a story by using of different themes and medias as well.
Reviewed November 12, 2013

It looks like this particular show has become a Czech tradition as there were several local families with children in attendance. Despite that, I’m at a loss at how this dated and amateur show has continued to fill the theater for over 30 years. It’s an expensive show, and unfortunately it doesn't deliver. There is a lot of extremely jarring, amateur film and sound editing, very low level choreography with uninventive and redundant sketches. It may keep an infant amused and possibly younger children, so unless you're looking to kill some time with the kids, I would certainly avoid the Kourzelny Cirkus, and look into another Laterna show. Also, if you're looking for black light theater, there is only a very small amount of that happening in this show.

More details below:

It’s hard to write this because I saw this over 30 years ago when I was a wide-eyed 18 year old traveling abroad and I must have simply remembered the few interesting bits and enlarged them in my mind to create a fond memory. My girlfriend and I chose ‘Kourzelny Cirkus’ because it’s the longest running show in Prague's Lanterna history and the photos in the souvenir program looked enchanting supporting my fond memories. Also, there are some legendary names associated with it so we figured we couldn't go wrong. I’m guessing they must have been involved in the filmed background elements and not the overall direction and live content of the show. What you get is the exact same show created in late 1970’s. So, as a time capsule, it has it’s moments, but as artistic accomplishment, it falls very flat.
It’s a mix of filmed footage with clowns, dancers and other odd characters moving in and out of the action from behind large tarps used as film-screens. The show has a few moments of genuine charm, cute costumes and some sweet, mildly funny bits but overall the amateur presentation never gels into much of anything artistic or entertaining. It masquerades as a surreal, visual poem, following a duo of clowns through a haphazard journey. Unfortunately, all the sketches kind of float isolated on their own, abandoned of any direction, lacking overall vision, and don’t forget to mix that with extremely dated sound and film edits. The medium has a lot of potential, and I think the other shows offered may exploit that. I read here there is a retrospective show that is much better (which I found out after the fact), and I’m looking forward to exploring that one. I really want to see this medium at its best, but this show reflects the early days and is put together by unskilled story and film editors. I was a prime candidate to love this and was really excited to re-visit it 30 years later, so it was a sad and disappointing letdown. :’-(

1  Thank Ted O

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

A series of stupid and fullish scenes.
Don't understand how people pay for that. It is not worth the time and effort. The two minutes of black theatre are nice.
Gave us headache.
Don't go.

1  Thank Ofer T
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

The dance is very creative... plays different shows.... full of art and feelings. not expensive for this tallented artists!!! great video art! illl come back again

Reviewed October 3, 2013

The performance is outstanding - it contains music, film, PANTOMIM, ballett .Please ask the personal - who are very kind and polite - at the box office - for the program - LEGENDS OF MAGIC PRAGUE !! This performance is without words - the first multimedia Theatre ever!!
You can find the place easily - just beside the National Theater/Narodni Divadlo/ in a modern building.
You will be disapointed if you are interested only in modern things,but you will enjoy it when you feel the history of theater art and the born of multimedia.Have a nice time!!