“Just an 'ok' experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hostel Mango

Hostel Mango
Ranked #37 of 662 Specialty Lodging in Prague
Geneva, Switzerland
“Just an 'ok' experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

I stayed in Hostel Mango in February 2014. It was an ok hostel. I was overall disappointed because it advertises far more than it offers. There is no free coffee/tea. There is no wifi in the rooms. The free towels they give you for the shower are the size of a dish towel. Overall, an ok experience (it was a really good location), but I'm sure you could find better.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
hostelorange20, Public Relations Manager at Hostel Mango, responded to this review, November 25, 2014
Dear 51KAI,
thank you for your review.
The customers' feedback is very important to us, it makes us improve.
We were indeed in past facing some issues with the wifi, however, they have been fixed.
Sorry for the inconvenience. In such case, you are more than welcome to use our public computer near the reception. We keep an eye on having enough coffee and tea in the kitchen.
The towels are free and the size is not of a large bath towel, but are just fine with most of the guests, we are sorry to hear they were not enough for you.
Thank you for choosing our hostel and for your comments.
It is more than appreciated.
Have a lovely day

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

My friend and I went backpacking around Europe, and Prague was our first stop.
Arriving in Prague, and not knowing the area at all, we still found Hostel Mango very easily.
The staff was friendly and welcoming and advised us on what to do and where to go in the city!
They have a computer available at the entrance for the guests which is very helpful.
Also there is free wifi that works properly, unlike other hostels I've been to.
The rooms were clean, and the beds comfortable, also we were in a sharing room for 10 people. People were quiet coming and going from the room, so it didn't bother us. Also, you have a kitchen available to cook your own food if you want.
Overall I would definitely recommend it to backpackers and friends travelling together! It was a great experience and if I were to go to Prague again, I would go to Hostel Mango again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear JensMbk,
thank you for the time taken to write a review.
It is very good to hear that you were given some tips and advice by our receptionists, that you found us easily, and that you could profit from the common area and its facilities.
We are very grateful for the recommendation and we do hope to see you again soon in Prague at our Hostel!
Have a very nice day!
Magdeburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

If you want to go to Prague for the fisrt time and just don't know where you can saty in, I recommend you to stay at Mango hostel. Very friendly staff, rooms are very good and location is also very nice, so you have access to everything in the city.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear KaPillow,
thank you so much for your nice words of recommendation!
We do believe that the central position of our Hostel is a great advantage to explore the city, and to find our hostel easily.
We hope that when you are in Prague for the next time, you will again book at Hostel Mango!
Have a very nice day
Magdeburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

Very nice staff, they really understand the needs of the guests. They are really flexible. The hotel was really clean, and pleasant to stay at. I would recommand it if you want to have fun with friends or even with family! Very well located as well!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Peps G,
thank you for your comment.
We are most glad and grateful for your feedback about cleanliness and the staff being helpful.
We hope you will choose our hostel by the famous Charles bridge again, when you visit Prague.
Have a lovely day!
Leipzig, Sachsen, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

The hostel is very nice! The room was confortable and clean. However the bathroom had everything in the same room (shower, lavatory and toilet), but not such a problem actually.
Staff very very nice and friendly, very helpful. Good prices, good breakfast, very well located - near Charles Bridge and Malostranska metro station. I really recommend this hostel!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

At the start here I have to admit to being an older traveller with limited hostel experience; this probably colors what I have to say.

There were a number of good things about this hostel.
- It is very well located, very near the Charles Bridge and the rest of the “tourist” part of Prague.
- It is fairly easy to get to (a moderate walk with luggage from the Malastranska subway station).
- It has a decent shared kitchen allowing you to do your own food preparation, stovetop, microwave, but no oven
- It has self-serve laundry facilities (see below for more on this….)

However I have significant complaints about the noise. Two things:

- There is an open courtyard from which noise easily travelled to at least our room (a two person room at the top of the stairs)
- More significantly, there is a bar downstairs that produces a LOT of noise. On our first night there was someone playing trumpet until 2 AM until I went down and complained directly to the trumpeter. On the third night there was a lot of noise off and on to at least 1:30 AM.

So for two nights out of the four I stayed I got very poor sleep due to the noise.

When I complained about the bar at the front desk on the two noisy nights they told me that the bar was separate from them and they had no control of it. That may be; but there was a direct door between the bar and the hostel, the hostel provided the bar with their WC facilities, and the hostel’s advertising proudly boasts a bar among their facilities. But regardless of whether they have control of it or not, having a noisy bar in the same building as a place where people are sleeping is a recipe for disaster.

I do have to note that someone else we knew was staying in another room in the hostel and did not have as much problem with noise. But then they are experienced hostellers and may just be more tolerant; or perhaps some of the rooms are worse than others.

On some of the other reviews I have seen complaints about the laundry facilities. I used them, and found them to work OK. They were a little expensive. Also, the front desk did not seem to be equipped to explain how to use them to me. They were European washers and dryers, quite unfamiliar to a North American such as myself. But I figured them out, and my clothes were washed. So overall I found this to be a big plus, as I discovered that laundry facilities are not at all easy to come by for a traveller in Europe.

Room Tip: Do NOT take the two bed room at the top of the stairs if you have any desire to sleep at all.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tofino_Rob
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is a pretty nice hostel.. Its location is great, only just round the corner from the Charles Bridge and not too far away from the metro stop. A friend and I were sharing a twin room, which was great. The beds were really comfy and the pillows were great. Lockers are provided in each room and the wifi connection is good, even if you are staying on the top floor. Unfortunately, we had to share a shower in a dorm just across the landing from us. It was a pretty big dorm, so nipping in before everyone woke up wasn't always easy. Furthermore, we were given an electronic key to access this room, which never seemed to work. We had to go down to reception at least twice to get the problem fixed. It was a shame that breakfast was not provided, and seemed overpriced for what they were offering.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends