“Medieval Library in Prague”
Review of Strahov Monastery

and up
Private Custom Tour of Strahov Library and Prague
Ranked #143 of 1,073 things to do in Prague
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

After reading about the Strahov Monastery and it's medieval library prior to our recent visit to Prague, I thought this would be a unique and interesting attraction to visit. It was but...... the entire attraction consists of only 3 rooms, 2 of which you can only look into. The rest of the monastery is not available to visit. In addition there's an additional fee of about $2.50 to be able to take photos and this is strictly enforced. Likely worthwhile for history buffs. For most travelers, have a beer at the brewery near the entrance and snap a few photos of the exterior of the monastery.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,471)
All reviews
in 13 reviews
"norbert"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The Strahov Monastery was one of my favorite places to explore during a recent trip to Prague. I arrive early on the morning on a Sunday, just as it was opening. (To get there, you can take tram #22 to Pohlorec. It will drop you right at the monastery entrance, just a short walk of 50m or so up a little hill.) I planned on visiting the monastery, Loretta church, and the castle complex all in one morning, as my guidebook led me to believe this was possible. While they all are located a short walk from each other, I found the monastery and its grounds to be so peaceful, serene, and enchanting that I didn’t want to leave!!!

The library is a MUST see! There is a well-written English explanation of the different oddities, artifacts, and the architecture of the beautiful libraries. For those who are trying to make the best of their time, the gallery and cloisters are skippable. They are lovely, full of historical information about the monastery and it’s founder, St Norbert, and the small art collection is a nice one, but if it’s art you are interested in, I’d try one of the museums around the city. I was fortunate enough to be at the monastery on a Sunday morning and to be able to attend mass at the Church of the Assumption. The frescoes could verging the walls and ceilings are incredible, and the place is full of joyous light! Apart from the mass services, access to the full church is allowed by prior arrangement only. At other times, visitors may view the church from the entrance, but a gate and grill prevent admission.

There are many paths to explore through an amazing natural setting of trees and gardens. For a splurge, enjoy a meal at the Bellavista Restaurant, which overlooks the river, the remainder of the city, and includes views of the towers of the St. Vitus Cathedral and Petrin Hill. The food was delicious, and well worth the splurge.

Don’t miss this charming, peaceful little break from the main tourist attractions of the city. You won’t be disappointed!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Paying 5EUR + 2EUR photos per person, for something that is on the postcards and they don't even let you in. One of the touristic traps and the old lady cashier was absolutely horrible. She saw us hesitating wether to enter and not and happily charged us adult ticket even though we showed her that we are students and did not explain that there are only three rooms and you can enter. After we left I said my thoughts and she showed me in corner of her cashier the smallest written sign saying that you cannot enter into the library.... basically a tourist trap.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We went to the Strahov Monastery today. 120 CZK each plus 50 CZK to take photos.

You cannot go inside the libraries so you join the gaggle at the doorway and you really can't get meaningful photos. They don't even have good postcards in the gift shop showing the ceilings.

After schlepping ourselves to the Monastery and waiting in line to get in, we felt that $8.50 each was a waste of time and money.

We didn't get information about it but there was a private tour that actually went inside the libraries. If you want to take decent pix of the ceilings you should find out about the "private tour."

On the other hand, the nearby Loreta was pretty good. The Monstrances (6222 diamonds, etc) were amazing and the church itself was totally frescoed up.

2  Thank travel-junkie3PO