“Come for far more than Mucha's Slav Epic”
Review of Veletrzni Palac

Veletrzni Palac
Ranked #40 of 962 things to do in Prague
Washington DC
100 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 500 helpful votes
“Come for far more than Mucha's Slav Epic”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Years ago, before Mucha's Slav Epic was moved here, I went to this museum in seeking one of the only modern art venues in Prague. I was blown away by what I found here, especially Czech Modern Art movements and artists I was totally unfamiliar with from the early part of the 20th century. I was immensely moved by this museum. I thought perhaps this was the impact of art at a younger age, so I revisited in my last trip to Prague and found that the place is magnificent as it was before.... huge with so much art to behold. In my most recent visit, I discovered many new works and artists, and was amazed by the floors dedicated to other European artists which are part of their permanent collection-- smaller works by famed artists- what fun - a surprise masterpiece at every turn. Its a wonderful museum indeed. The best one in Prague.

Visited December 2012

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Big surprise”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

This wasn't really mentioned as a place to go but we thoroughly enjoyed it. We went to see Mucha's slav epic but the rest of the gallery ex=specially the impressionists and modern art were excellent.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Nick71959
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Slav Epos is a must”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

When you are a fan of Mucha's works, you cannot skip this exhibit.
It is miles away from the overly commercialised posters from this artist. The rest of the building is so-so and sometimes doesn't do the artwork justice.

Visited September 2013
Sollentuna
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Modern art at its best”
Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Veletrzni palac is an ugly building but contains an outstanding art collection arranged chronologically. You start st the top and work your way down, seeing the development of art and also the diminution in skill and the increase charlatanism in more recent times. Remarkable to see how art turned into confidence trickery! Well worth a visit for some magnificent paintings.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank ECDSollentuna
Morristown, NJ
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 125 helpful votes
“Come for Mucha's "Slav Epic"”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We visited this museum specifically to see Mucha's "Slav Epic" cycle of 20 paintings, because of our interest in Czech history after touring in the country for several days. It was a great way to cap off our visit to Prague. Unlike some of the earlier visitors' reports below, we were each given a pamphlet in English with a page description of each painting and the events that it depicts. We thoroughly enjoyed the exhibit, and spent so much time there that we did not see the rest of the museum. There were not many people visiting the exhibit when we were there, and I anticipate that when the guidebooks catch up with the fact that it has been moved to this museum, then more tourists will flock to it. You are permitted to take photos without flash, and in the gift shop they sell sets of small posters and cards with reproductions of the complete series of paintings.

Visited September 2013