“Location! Location! Location!”

Ranked #73 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Chicago, Illinois
“Location! Location! Location!”
Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is located just below the Prague Castle, on very charming Nerudova Street. Location was unbeatable. The rooms were very contemporary and clean. The breakfast buffet was very good too. The hotel staff was helpful.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Ronti
neruda1, General Manager at Design Hotel Neruda, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for taking time to write your review mentioning our spectacular location, hotel staff, breakfast and all the other things you have enjoyed during your stay.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back at hotel Neruda!!

118 00 Praha 1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Soenderborg, Denmark
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My family and I stayed in two separate rooms at the hotel this summer. The location of the hotel could not have been any better, as it is located in walking distance to the major attractions in Prague. The rooms were ok, but not as modern as expected from the pictures on the site - this might be because we lived in the "old" building which had not been renovated.

Apart from the location we were all disappointed with the hotel. On their online site they claim free parking and free Wi-fi in the rooms. We paid 1500 Czech koruna for five days of parking at another hotel 20 minutes (walking distance) away from Hotel Neruda.
The internet was free, but in our rooms we had to use a cable in order to go online (and even then we had problems with the connection). This was a problem since we had expected Wi-fi (as promised on their online site) which meant that we could not go online with our phones.

Our major disappointment was the breakfast. The hotel has a total of 42 rooms, whilst the restaurant has a total of 10-15 tables - far from enough if all wants to eat breakfast at the same time. It was annoying having to spend your morning waiting for a table when you really just wanna get going to see the city. Apart from this problem, the bread served was narrow and long - unsuitable for the salami served. Not very filling, and a grown man would need at least 6-7 pieces to feel full. Then they served the same bread in a circular form (perfect fit for salami fx) but to get some of these you had to be quick because they ran out quickly; EVERY DAY!
In general they ran out of a lot of stuff at the breakfast menu. The idea behind the menu is good, as they had a choice of cereal, bread, cake, eggs, sausages, fruits and so, but because they ran out often half of the stuff was unavailable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
neruda1, General Manager at Design Hotel Neruda, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking time to write this feedback! I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed our location very much and that it was convenient for your trip in Prague.

First I must stress that all information is on our website even the pictures of the rooms. We have standard rooms in the old part of the building and superior rooms in the new part of the hotel. Each client is different and everyone desires something else. We try to make our customers happy as much as we can. Regarding the internet connection - in standard room we do have a cable internet connection however WiFi can be accessed from all other areas around the hotel.

I am really sorry about our parking unfortunately our website does not give the information that we have free parking as it is slightly difficult due to our location. We do use parking five minutes away from our hotel in Martinicky palace. Information provided on our website regarding our parking:
"Paid parking Five minutes walk away".

Regarding your breakfast issue unfortunately when hotel Neruda is fully booked it can happened that we can run out of tables for customer however in summer our clients can use the terrace or take their breakfast to their rooms. We are working on improving our breakfast menu every day and we greatly appreciate your comments.

We do encourage our customers to talk to reception if there seems to be any issues or our client is not happy with anything in order to resolve any problem taking place.

One more time thank you for your feedback and we are looking forward to welcoming you back at hotel Neruda!

Vienna, Wien, Austria
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I had a wonderful stay at your hotel from July 16-18, 2012. I would like to praise the young woman at the reception desk for being so helpful and friendly. It makes a huge difference when you are greeted by such a pleasant person. I had a double room - #34, which was very large and clean. Even though my room was on the streetside, it was quiet and I highly recommend this hotel. Great location, right below the castle.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chris S
neruda1, General Manager at Design Hotel Neruda, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your great feedback !! Our guest satisfaction is very important to us and it is a pleasure to hear that we have managed to meet your expectations. I am pleased to hear our receptionist was helpful and friendly during your stay and that you have enjoyed your room.

We are truly looking forward to welcoming you back at Hotel Neruda soon!

Hollis, NH
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We chose this hotel from the listing in Lonely Planet. The location was excellent, close to all of the major sights of the city. Also on the positive side, the staff was young, friendly and helpful. The breakfast was adequate, good considering the price of the room. The room was rather small and dark, and would have been uncomfortable if it had been hot. We were fortunate to have cool weather the entire time we were there. The wi-fi was only accessible from the lobby or restaurant which would have been OK except that the techno music was incessant and annoying. It was playing during breakfast and continued late into the night when we were checking emails and using skype. So, I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel if you are not too particular about things like the music and a somewhat dreary small room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your feedback! First I would like to thank you for mentioning our excellent location and our helpful staff. We do try to provide our clients with the best service possible.

Secondly I would like to apologise regarding our wifi connection. However I must stress that we do provide internet all over the public areas of the building including rooms. Our hotel is a listed building from 14th century and old part of the building unfortunately does not have wifi within some rooms however we do provide cable connections in each room. This could be obtained at reception desk where they would provide you with cable and instructions to be able to connect in your room. Thirdly our music is under no circumstances a techno music as it would not be suitable for historical building like hotel Neruda. The owner of the hotel is very careful what sort of music is played as he is a musician himself. We only play original music from France Costa hotels and there is no way this could be changed as its locked in GM office. We understand that every one has a different taste in music and unfortunately we can not satisfy everyone.

I hope these issues have not spoiled your getaway in Prague and you have enjoyed your stay! We are looking forward welcoming you back at hotel Neruda!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed July 22, 2012

This was my first visit to Prague and I chose The Neruda without knowing much about it as a group of friends were staying there for a wedding. First impressions are usually lasting ones, and my first impression of The Neruda was of a cheerfully smiling receptionist opening the door with a warm greeting upon my arrival at half-past midnight... this certainly proved to be the lasting impression I was left with after my week's stay as well - warm, friendly, cheerful staff making me feel very welcome.

The hotel was quite an interestingly eccentric one, full of quirky little staircases, "secret passages" and rooms in a variety of shapes and sizes, kitted out in an eclectic variety of fittings, ranging from the plainly functional to the Dali-esquely kitsch. I had a more "normal" room: nicely proportioned, with a large, comfortable bed, plenty of closet space, a well-stocked minibar and a largish bathroom equipped with a very good shower. Not bad at all for a three-and-a-half-star rated hotel for which I paid EUR 60 nett per night, inclusive of breakfast!

Speaking of breakfast, the hotel put on a decent spread each morning (albeit rather boringly similar every day), comprising a nice selection of cheeses and charcuterie, cereals, a variety of bread, a couple of hot dishes, (a limited choice of) fruit and several jams and compotes. The coffee was hot and plentiful and there was a good choice of teabags available as well.

Going back to the rooms, while I had a more conventional one, some of the others in my group had rather more eclectic accommodation: one room, in the attic, had a bathtub where the foyer would normally be, with the toilet in a relatively "open" space as well. Fine for a well-established couple, but perhaps a touch awkward for other occupants. Another of the group's rooms (also in an attic) had a slanting ceiling, which meant that he had to literally roll out of bed or risk banging his head each morning. It's worth pointing out that the more eccentric rooms are in the new wing attached to the very handsome, 664 year old original building, so my advice would be to ask for a room in the old wing, should you favour conventionality over quirkiness.

Other facilities are limited, but the hotel does feature a lovely little rooftop terrace, an on-demand spa and a restaurant serving what looked to be an avant-garde vegetarian menu. The restaurant stays open through the day for a good selection of coffees as well as a range of beer and spirits. Wifi is free, but my connection only worked properly in the restaurant area and I couldn't get a signal in my room. A lift services the three floors of the old building but you do have to haul your bags up a few flights of stairs if you are on the higher floors of the new wing.

The hotel's location is superb, about three-quarters of the way up the hill on the cobblestoned Nerudova, just below the castle complex: a perfect base for exploring the Castle, the Mala Strana and The Old Town.

I have given The Neruda an excellent rating because of the warmth, friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, which makes all the difference to me, all other things being equal in terms of accommodation, food etc. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel for single travellers and couples, but would suggest that it may not be ideal for families with young children or for older visitors because of the "interesting" staircases in the new wing: however, the hotel would be fine for everyone if you stay in the original building.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SWDevon
neruda1, General Manager at Design Hotel Neruda, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking time to write such a great review, mentioning so many things you have enjoyed and experienced in hotel Neruda. I am delighted to receive such a detailed positive feedback and pleased to hear you have enjoyed your one week stay with your group of friends in Prague and we were part of it.

As you mentioned first impression counts the most and I am happy to hear that we have managed to impress you with our friendly reception staff thru out the week. We try to deliver the best possible service to our clients and it is great to hear we are doing a good job at it.

Hotel Neruda is a listed building from 14th century that's why we have so many quirky staircases around the old building which also makes our design interesting and special. As you mentioned some rooms are in the new wing and some in the old, where it can be tricky to get to however, we always try to help our clients or provide an alternative route to their rooms if they find it difficult or offer them another room.

Thank you one more time for this amazing feedback and we are really looking forward to welcoming you back at hotel Neruda soon!

N Hotels Group

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2012

For the money this hotel is fine.
Good: receptionists friendly & helpful, room & bathroom clean and modern, breakfast weird for an Aussie/Brit but normal for Europe, fantastic location,
Bad: we had room 14 which is very small. This didnt bother me but beware if you want space. The only bad thing of our stay was room 14 has windows which open onto a corridor so we were unable to open our windows at all as there were people walking past. Very strange and quite annoying. We would have complained had we not already been told the hotel was full and we had the last room.
That being said, it was still nice. We were there for 2 nights so spent hardly any time in the room at all.
I would recommend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking time to write your kind feedback! I would like to thank you for understanding about our situation with room number 14 as you mentioned we were fully booked and this is the last room we offer due to the strange window. However, we try to make it up to our guests and provide a discount if you get to stay here.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon at Hotel Neruda with a large superior room on your next stay. Please email me if you are returning to Prague!

Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed July 3, 2012

My husband, son (22 months) and I stayed in Hotel Neruda in June 2012 and loved the hotel, it's amazing. First of all, the location cannot be beat - it's at the top of Nerudova Street, a famous cobble stone road lined with historical townhouses (former King's Road) directly leading to the Prague Castle. The walk to the Prague Castle takes about 2 minutes, and the views of Prague from the Castle and its surrounding Gardens are spectacular.
This part of town is quite busy during the day, but very quiet at night, which is perfect for light sleepers. You can easily walk down the street to the Charles Bridge and the other (newer) side of town for more sightseeing and nightlife.
The hotel is in a historical townhouse from the 14th century, therefore it is very charming and the interior is quite unique - it has been tastefully renovated and decorated by a famous Czech architect. Very chic. And very clean. Everything was spotless. And I loved the attention to detail, the antique headboard, and the modern bathtub and stand-alone sink - gorgeous! And by the way, the room was air conditioned.
Hotel staff were wonderful - very friendly and very accommodating. Nothing was a problem. We had to check out very early (at 2am) due to an early flight and they packed breakfast for us - it was really nice to munch on something on our way to the airport.
There's also a lovely vegetarian & vegan restaurant in the hotel building which is very convenient.
Definitely recommend and would return to the hotel in the future.
I added some pictures of the hotel, more pictures of the surrounding area can be found here: http://bamboolababy.wordpress.com/2012/07/03/our-recent-visit-to-prague-czech-republic/

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
neruda1, General Manager at Design Hotel Neruda, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for such a great feedback!! On behalves of the entire team at Hotel Neruda we are thrilled to hear your trip with your family in Prague was pleasant. I am happy to know you have enjoyed our spectacular location and our 14th century design with a modern touch.

Our staff tries to deliver high value service with personalized touch to each of our valuable customers.

We are looking forward to seeing you again with your family at Hotel Neruda!!