“big disappointment”

Ranked #53 of 358 Prague B&B and Inns
new york city
“big disappointment”
Reviewed July 24, 2006

I had booked this hotel based on past reviews and recommendations from various guide books. I am from Prague, and speak Czech, and wanted my group of cycling friends from America to experience a genuine historic hotel.
I had made the reservations well in advance. When we got to the hotel, we too saw the dilapidated state of the building, the "Club" practically next door, and the large, ongoing construction in the building next door. I was very upset by this, since none of this had been mentioned by anyone, including (and especially) the hotel staff before our arrival.
The fabulous restaurant mentioned by previous reviewers was closed, and never opened during our stay.
The staff, with one exception was hostile, rude and downright unhelpful.
The rooms were clean, and in our case, large, but very hot and noisy.
The only thing going for the hotel is the location, since it is very close to the Old Town Square ( and what makes the hotel charge the prices they do)
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone at this time.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
6 Thank Eva P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed July 5, 2006

The accommodation provided was adequate for our short stay in Prague, however I found it to be over-priced.
The reception had made an error with our booking - they had booked only 2 nights rather than 3 - they had doubled booked our room. On our return from a full day of exploring, we were told that we had to find alternative accommodation, and all our luggage was piled onto the floor. The receptionist refused to discuss the situation with us, and we had to find alternative accommodation by ourselves. This surprised me as I was expecting a much more professional response from them.
I would not recommend this hotel to others after my experience.

3 Thank Paula M

Travelers are raving about these Prague hotels

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 2, 2006

I feel the pain of the two previous reviewers, because I had a similar terrible experience at King George Hotel. I booked here based on the good reviews on Trip Advisor and in travel books. I will not make the same mistake again.

We arrived to find a fairly dingy building almost across the street from a "gentleman's club." The receptionist was rude and acted as if she was doing us a favor by checking us in. We trudged up some dodgy stairs because their elevator did not go up to the top floor where our "suite" was located. King George has quite a nerve calling our room a suite. It was a small room in the attic with and adjoining small room. We had to rent the safety deposit box, something we had not encountered in Vienna or Krakow during our travels. It was not particularly clean and the "carpet" did in fact feel like steel wool. The bathroom had a very communist feel, and the shower leaked a lot onto the floor. After 1 day of staying there, the communist toilet paper ran out. When we told the staff this the following morning, they merely brought in a new roll, plopping it on top of the toilet, without putting it inside!

Another great surprise was the completely active construction site right outside our window. The men started work at 7 am each morning, so it was lovely waking up to that noise. You have to keep the windows open because there is not air conditioning. Breakfast was awful and the bar where it was served was less that clean. Breakfast staff could not have been more rude. We skipped it the other 3 mornings that we stayed, and had to buy breakfast elsewhere.

Please do not make the mistake of booking here, the place is a dump and staff is rude. Only saving grace is that it is close to Old Town. Prices are not cheap, and DEFINITELY not worth what you pay.

3 Thank given2fly
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 27, 2006

When a friend and I booked this hotel we only meant to stay 2 nights but the charms of Prague got to us and we asked the front desk staff to extend our stay by one night. We thought it was all OK except it wasn't and to our horror we returned to the hotel after a day out to find we did not have a room at all. The rude front desk staff accused me of being a liar when we tried to explain we had extended the booking but it was all to no avail. While we had been away all our clothes and toiletries had been piled high in the middle of the room and my toothbrush had been left on a not so clean floor!

Lucky for us the Pension Red Chair was very friendly and had a room available at very short notice. It was a relief to get away from such rude people and such a disappointing place.

Also, we booked a suite at this hotel and were quite disappointed to find it was really just one big room with a queen bed and 2 singles. The bathroom consisted of a bath with a hand shower with no water pressure and minimal hot water from the hand shower. To top it off the hallways always smelled of stale cigarette smoke.

A very disappointing stay in what we expected to be a fabulous hotel

6 Thank glees99
Toronto, ON
Reviewed May 21, 2006

We booked into the Hotel King George, based on positive reviews on Trip Advisor and recommendations in Rick Steves. Were we in for a disappointment! (I have to wonder why the finest hotels in the U.S. rarely get more than 3.5 , but "circles" on Tripadvisor, while almost every hotel in Europe seems to rate 4 circles plus.) The room was small, dingy and the carpet felt like walking on a steel brush. Indifferent staff (we asked if we could see another room and he told us to wait till the morning), creepy entrance, meager breakfast. We had asked for a quiet room - the final straw was construction literally right over our heads in the morning. By 8 a.m. we were out of there looking for something else. Thank goodness for Hotel Retezova, which saved Prague for us.

Positives - location near Old Town Square and Charles Bridge (in spite of being next to "Pussy Galore"); good bathroom (though no place to put shaving kits, etc.)

Negatives - listed above - and no bargain at 3500 Czech crowns per night.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank ONTraveler
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 7, 2006

Spent four nights at Hotel King George with my mother. Absolutely perfect location. The thing I liked best about the location was that even though you were a short walk to the Charles Bridge and Old Town Square, the street the hotel is on is a quiet side street, away from the massive crowd of tourists. We were up a flight of steps (no elevator) and towards the back so we never heard any noise from the bar/restaurant. Nice buffet breakfast in the morning, a little grocery store next to the hotel, very clean accommodations, modern bathroom. We were very satisfied and would definitely stay there again.

Stayed May 2006
3 Thank blackmons
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2006

I booked 3 nights at Hotel King George after reading great reviews on TripAdvisor, and the price was unbeatable. I went to Prague during the lowest of the low season, and I was able to get a nice large room with a sparkling bathroom, separate sitting area, on the top floor with hot breakfast for about 1600-kc per night. In Prague, that's an amazingly cheap deal.

The place feels like a boutique hotel, a bit rustic in a clean, comfortable sense. My suite was spacious and very comfortable, and the radiators kept the entire room VERY warm. The room was not luxurious but has a bed and breakfast feel. There were a bar and restaurant on-site so you never had to go far to get food or drinks. The staff were wonderful....always smiling and extremely helpful.

The location was perfect. I could walk to the Charles Bridge or Old Town Square in 5 minutes. There were plenty of restaurants, cafes, pubs and shops nearby, and there are two metro stations 5-8 minutes of walk away. I met a lady who paid more for her 3-star hotel and had to walk 30 mins to get to Old Town Square!! Needless to say I was EXTREMELY happy with my choice of accommedation. Hotel King George is definitely a gem and I'll be back again very soon.

• Stayed March 2006