“Old World Charm”
Review of Hotel Zamek Stirin

Hotel Zamek Stirin
Ranked #396 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I am having a difficult time rating this hotel. It's an absolutely lovely place. It's in the middle of nowhere yet there is a bus stop at the main road. You either have to walk or get a taxi to get to the hotel if you're not driving. It's about a five to ten minute walk and you can call the hotel and have them arrange for a taxi to pick you up.

The reason it's difficult for me to rate is that the first room they gave me (room 7) was wonderful but dirty. There were wine glasses on a table with a half bottle of wine and the bed was messed up. The second room was on the ground floor and it was clean, but the carpet was old and dirty. It really needs new carpeting. There were two single beds, which looked small but the one bed was actually quite comfortable as was the pillow. The sheets were clean and the room felt clean. Although there was an empty shampoo bottle in the bathroom on the top of the wall divider and the shower floor felt gritty. The room looked as if it were a smoking room, because it had a huge ashtray. But I really didn't smell smoke and I'm sensitive to that.

The other thing was that even though I emailed the hotel a couple of times and called before I arrived, the the room wasn't ready. The main reason I went to this hotel was that it hosted a Ball. I had never been to one and was pretty excited about going. When I went to check in, there was no reservation made for me. Thankfully, they still had room.

These are things that I didn't like. I loved everything else. The staff spoke English and were very sweet and friendly. I wish there was a historian on site or got a tour of the castle. There's a chapel there and the one photo I saw looked amazing. The whole castle is filled with antiques. It's more of a man's man sort of hotel. It's not overly frilly but with the antiques, it made for a cozy environment.

Now the next thing I'm about to tell you may seem a bit strange. The second room I was in (room 1) was comfortable. However, I had difficult time trying to take pictures in some areas of the room. I tried to take a photo of myself all dressed up in my gown but the photo was either blurry or had these white orbs in the photo. I'm not sure if this is ghost activity or not, but I really had a hard time taking a photo in the front entrance of the room by the door. So, if you are a ghost hunter, maybe this is a place for you! If not, golfers or people looking for a romantic getaway may find this a perfect spot.

I should also mention that there is an indoor putting range (looked like a big screen TV). The bar is very rustic and has some interesting features. And the breakfast had a lot of things to choose from. Vegetarians and meat lovers will have no problem finding something good to eat for breakfast. And on a side note. There are ground floor rooms and although I didn't see any hand rails, I believe that it was handicap accessible. The sink in room 1 seemed a bit low and the shower was huge. The shower door opens inward and outward. There were also ramps to the restaurant where the Ball was.

All in all, I enjoyed my visit. I'm giving it a 4, because I really enjoy being there. I hope my next visit will be even better.

Room Tip: Room 7 is cozy and a little small. Great for a single person or a couple that likes to snuggle. Room...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Yep2Happy

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed here only for a weekend, it is nice chateua in queit place ideal for romantic stay.
Very large room and also bathroom, good breakfast and we recommend restaurant Atis which is near the main building in chateau area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Denisa P
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We were celebrating my husband’s birthday in the chateau Stirin and were excited about our stay there. We had a de-luxe room in the main building of the chateau – it was a good size room with historical furniture and a large very nice bathroom, comfortable beds, very comfortable and cozy. It is not “modern” style, but has an atmosphere! The restaurant has a great ambiance (fantastic architecture) and great very tasty food and vine! Also good service. We enjoyed the dinner and the evening very much. The chateau is awesome from the outside when you walk in the garden and to the park, it has large grounds and very pretty for a walk. The spa has two Jacuzzis – one large with colder water, one smaller with warm water, sauna and beds. Also very nice ambiance and architecture.

Room Tip: better to go for a de-luxe room - has a great bathroom
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank marketas12345
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed here for two nights when attending a wedding. Whilst the bedroom rooms was a bit old fashioned it was large with a comfortable bed and large bathroom. The food in the restaurant was excellent and very good value. Limited choice for breakfast and the person in charge could have been less officious. The arrangements for the wedding were first class and an ideal venue. The only downside was the lack of air conditioning or fans in the bedroom when the daytime temperature was in the 30's.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Spinfielder
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This hotel was ideal for my wife and I as we were attending a wedding at this venue. The Chateau is stunning, especially the exterior and the grounds, and from an external perspective it really is beautiful. Where it unfortunately falls down is the old fashioned (and not really in a quaint way) rooms, the lack of basic amenities (somewhere to hang a shower head), and punishingly for when we stayed in 33 degree heat, no air conditioning. Not even a token fan provided. Breakfast is basic and limited, and we were pretty glad to be heading back into Prague after our stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank romannose73
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The hotel and the rooms are in fact very nice and the personnel is friendly. Still I was quite disappointed about two things.
I was there for a business meeting. During the flight my clothes got quite crinkled so I approached the hotel reception for an iron or ironing service. They replied that they do not provide such service.
Then already in the afternoon I realized that there was no hot water, but I had no time to signal it. In the evening I tried again with the same result, so I went to the reception to solve the problem. After some brainstorming for possible solutions the lady promised me that she will contact a technician to resolve the problem. It was already quite late, so I retuned to the room with the hope of having a nice warm shower next day in the morning. But by next morning the situation was the same.
So after taking showers in cold water and wearing my crinkled shirts for two days I left the hotel rather disappointed. From a 4 star hotel I expected much more.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Nice hotel in a castle nearby Prague. Maybe not so cosy rooms regarding equipment but they are big and there is really helpfull stuff there. The surroundings are beatiful and close restaurant building quite interesting.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prague
Praha 4
Nove Mesto (New Town)
Hilton Prague Old Town
Hilton Prague Old Town
#97 of 646 in Prague

Been to Hotel Zamek Stirin? Share your experiences!