“Beautiful hostel and amazing staff”
Review of Sir Toby's Hostel

Sir Toby's Hostel
Ranked #9 of 660 Specialty Lodging in Prague
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful hostel and amazing staff”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

The staff at the hostel were so helpful and really great to spend some free time with! The pub in the basement is cozy and really beautiful along with the entire hostel. It was so awesome to stay there and would recommend it to anyone that is looking for a great place to stay in Prague!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Chris S, Owner at Sir Toby's Hostel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Ireland2280,

We're happy you enjoyed your stay at Sir Toby's! Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and we hope to see you back in Prague again sometime. We promise the Pub downstairs will be just as cozy as you remember it. Thank you for the kind feedback.

Regards,

Chris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Greetings from Indonesia!
It's been almost a year for my visit to Praha. But I guess I still haven't written any reference to this hostel. It was quite far from Florenc, but I found this hostel with a great condition. Somewhat cheap, and comfortable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Zakky A,

Thank you for visiting us! We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the future.

New Zealand
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My second visit to this really popular Prague hostel with a ten year gap in between. A few things have changed. Some for the better, some less so.

Top marks for –
Location being in a central but authentic local neighbourhood. Some people don’t like this but I totally consider it a bonus to stay somewhere that gives you a taste of what a city is actually like. European city centres can often resemble each other (although central Prague is exceptionally charming and beautiful). Lots of cheap local restaurants around (be aware that Czechs freely smoke inside restaurants, that took a bit of adjusting to for us), easy access via tram into the city centre, easy enough to find. It’s not far out of the city, but you feel like you’re getting a difference experience staying there. Very cheap convenience store a 2 minute walk away that we bought some of our meals from. There is a bus station within walking distance. Area seemed safe enough and we were walking around at night to and from restaurants etc.

Room (female dorm) – large, comfortable, attention paid to décor, no bunks. That was great. Large lockers under-bed (bring your own padlock) and by your head as well, bedside lamp…they have definitely paid attention to detail here. Not too many beds squashed in either. Just really nice. Clean!

Bar/lounge room/kitchen/breakfast room – I think the basement socialising area/meal area is the best I’ve ever seen and I’ve stayed in (and worked in), a lot of hostels. Comfy, set up for socialising, heaps of character and atmosphere. Lots of couches, tables and private corners to sit in, lamps, exposed brickwork walls, small bar. The self-service kitchen is like something out of a New York loft – stylish! It’s all fantastic. This whole basement area is truly an example of why people choose to stay in hostels instead of impersonal hotels. Kudos to Sir Toby's for getting that right.

Breakfast – a small fee (I think it was 5 euro or the Czech equivalent) is payable for breakfast and is well, well worth it. Huge range of deli meats, breads, cheese, make your own pancakes, fruit, cereal, etc etc…good quality food and all you can eat between set hours (breakfast available quite late into the morning, I think 12pm, but I can’t recall that exactly!). I didn’t need lunch the days I ate there!

Services available – you can hire a daily tram pass for a set price from reception. Makes life easy if you are staying a few days. Don’t get caught on the trams without a ticket unless you have deep pockets. ;) Free computers in reception, coffee machine in reception. Nice little touches.

Thumbs down for –
Hot water supply was pretty dismal – I had several cold showers in my six day stay. Every time I mentioned it to reception I would get a vague promise about it being fixed soon. Yeah.

Shower itself was attached to female dorm as an ensuite. It was old plastered wall, walk-in room, and wasn’t great. It was a bit of a let-down considering how nice the room is. Also wasn’t cleaned well – someone split something (body cream? conditioner?) on the floor and it stayed there for three days until I asked reception to get someone to mop it.

If the hostel upgraded this to a modern shower I don’t think there would be a single thing anyone could really dislike about the female ensuite dorm.

Although perhaps this - highly annoying automatic lights in the bathroom. No light switches, instead they would turn on in main bathroom area as soon as anyone entered. But short time span - they kept turning off and wouldn’t turn on again while people were in the shower. My friends and I set up a buddy system so the person in the shower could yell for help, and someone could run into the main bathroom to turn them on again. They also turn off after a ridiculously short amount of time while in the toilet….I hope the hostel is saving a lot of money on electricity by using these – considering the annoyance factor for their guests.

Staff. Think one of the receptionists (dark haired girl) decided she didn’t like me after I asked her to get someone to mop the shower. Who knows. But later that day I couldn’t get her to give me decent directions, she just waved her hand and told me to follow the map. Lots of attitude, couldn’t get me out of the reception fast enough. Really disappointing. What was even more disappointing was how stressful it was to nearly miss my bus because she wouldn’t answer my questions, and treated me like a nuisance.

(For the benefit of anyone else so you don’t get caught out like me – if you are catching a bus from Holesovice bus station, e.g. to Terezin, there is a second larger bus station behind the one that has the Metro in it (which is on the main road). That second station is where the regional buses leave from. It isn’t obvious when you arrive at that first metro station, and there’s no person to answer questions at the station or to tell you where to go – ticket machines are automated. Eventually I found someone who was kind enough to point me in the right direction. There is an underpass to the right-hand side of the metro station near the buses, follow that and you’ll come up inside the second station, where there is an office for buying tickets).

Second really frustrating encounter with a staff member – tried to ask a question about the location of the outbound AE airport express bus stop at the main train station. The receptionist (an older guy) explained a different tram/bus route to me instead, but when I politely said thank you, but I was happy with the AE bus as I had already travelled on it once in the opposite direction, he got really pushy and controlling and told me I was an insecure traveller! Sorry, but I don’t think 7am (while heading to catch a plane, carrying all my luggage, in a country where I don’t speak the language) is the opportune time to be learning a new transport route involving recognising and getting off at the right stop, then making multiple changes of transport. If that makes me insecure, so be it. Again, I left without my question answered. He did come and find me ten minutes later to ask me if I wanted to share a taxi with another guest catching the same flight, but I didn't want to change extra money - so I declined, and found the AE bus stop the next morning with the help of train station staff.

The three (?) other staff members I encountered were all great, friendly and helpful.

So overall – would I stay again? Yes. It’s a really good hostel, small problems aside. Clearly it made enough of a good impression on me ten years ago that I recalled the name and looked it up again to book this year when I returned to Prague. I don’t think I’d plan to expect too much from the reception staff, but the hostel itself is really well done, and I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tyyche
Dear Tyyche,

Thank you for coming back to Sir Toby's after 10 years! We're happy you enjoyed your stay, and genuinely appreciate your feedback. I must apologize for the lack of hot water - I'm not exactly sure what the main cause was, but we will make sure it is sorted out. Also, we typically take a lot of pride in the customer service our staff delivers. I'm sorry that you didn't get a better answer to your airport express inquiry. Your feedback will be useful to ensure that future situations such as this one will be handled more satisfactorily. Thank you once again.

Kiel, Germany
Reviewed December 28, 2013

The hostel is well-located, offers a lot of space in the rooms and I enjoyed a free barbecue-dinner there! They alsso offer walking tours and party nights in the city. I absolutely recommend this hostel and really hope to check there in again some day.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear ScuroBianco,

Thank you for visiting us and for your wonderful feedback! We're happy you had a great time and look forward to having you back with us in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Sir Toby's is a great hostel! Lovely staff and rooms. They do a great buffet breakfast in the morning (for a small supplement). One of the not so good things is the location, the hostel is still in Prague. But it's around 20mins with one change on public transport. But that is only a minor thing. I would definitely stay here again if I was in Prague.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear PadraigJPG,

Thank you for staying with us! We're happy you enjoyed your stay, and appreciate your kind feedback. We look forward to having you back at Sir Toby's in the future.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful hostel! We stayed in a 12-bed room, the beds were very comfy, great/spacious lockboxes under all the beds (bring your own lock!), and good bathrooms right outside our room. Obviously it is always a good idea to bring earplugs when staying in a hostel.
What really makes this hostel stand out is the amazing staff! They were friendly and welcoming from beginning to end, would hang out and drink with guests in their bar some evenings, and one staff member even made us sandwiches for our early bus-ride the next day! An excellent experience overall, we cannot rate Sir Toby's highly enough!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Lille, France
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I went there during a European Tour with a friend. We randomly chose this hostel and stayed there 2 nights. It was the best hostel I've ever been. The guy at the reception could be a little distant, but he spent 20 min explaining to us which parts of Prague we should go according to him, and his advices were good, we could see some of the little details that make this town a wonderful town !
Everything in Toby's is made for you to feel at home, and to meet other travellers. The bar is great and cozy, the beer cheap... The hostel even invite all the guests for a barbecue as long as they take one beer or two at the bar, so you can not leave the hostel without meeting people from all over the world !
We stayed in the biggest dorms, and they were absolutely perfect : clean, comfortable and large.
The only things that disturbed me was the location, really far away from the center in a non-interesting district, and the one shower for twelve roomates. It was clean, but the waiting line was big.

If you are staying in Prague, I highly recommand you to stay a Sir Toby's !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends