“Ummm.... LOL!”
Review of Jednota

Jednota
Ranked #458 of 672 Specialty Lodging in Prague
Reviewed August 20, 2010

This place was the weirdest place I have ever stayed. My friend and I wandered in here one day after leaving our previous hostel. We asked for a room with private en-suite which we got. The bizarre thing was, we were the only people on our floor.... It was as if something had happened there. There was no curtain in our room and the toilet smelt bad. BUT we slept ok and it was a funny experience!
There was no noise which meant we were able to sleep well and it was also good no one else was on our floor because it never mattered when we went back to our hostel after a big night.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Jednota

Reviewed January 29, 2010

This is ultimately a very cheap place to stay. The rooms were clean enough, though the bathrooms were not. The security seemed to be relatively good , though I wouldn't trust all of the other travelers (I had some pretty awkward encounters). I loved the breakfast and the staff! While they could hardly speak English (and I tried desperately to speak Czech), they would try their best to communicate with me and were always very friendly. I have such fond memories of Prague that I'm sure I don't remember some of the more negative aspects of this hostel.
You should be aware that it has a prison feel to it, and this may explain why: I was informed by my Czech professor that this hostel was, actually, a prison at one point during WWII, used by the Nazis during their occupation of Prague. Actually, if you venture around the building, some of the rooms on the lower floors still have prison doors. I'm not sure if this is true but, after staying there, I would believe it!

• Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank cmm740
Reviewed November 8, 2009

my girlfriend and me spent 4 nights in this hostel and it was absolutely fine.From the ratings on this site we were expecting something much more dirty and ugly.. but it is NOT that way at all.

Price:
We paid about 900 kronas per night for a double room which is a fair price for the location and the service.

Style:
i mean sure most of the hostel is making you feel like you would be back in the old UDSSR.. but yeah.. that's character, isn't it?

Bathroom and Shower:
The bathroom and shower was really quite clean and the water was warm.. which was one of the great things.also the heating in the room was extremely warm what helped us a lot to "survive" in these cold days in praha ;).

Room:
The room was small and a bit smelly but the bed linen was clean and we were quite satisfied with it :)..especially notable was the heating (as already mentioned) because it was able to make a great warm place place out of it, and in the night we were feeling like in mother's womb :D

24-hours-reception:
The clerks at the 24-hours-office were all very friendly and having a 24-hours office is really great when you come home totally drunk and some friendly smiling clerk opens up the door to the hostel and wishes a good night :D

Location:
The location is simply perfect. It is located right next to the praha main station (hlavni nadrazi) and in a 10 minutes walk you are in the middle of old center of prague. the whole stay we didnt have to use public transport one time.

Conclusion:
We had a great stay in the Hostel Jednota and the next time it is definately the hostel of our choice again!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank the666pack
Reviewed September 24, 2009

If you are after good value and no frills then this is the place. I am sure you could spend far more money on an inferior place.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ell1981London
Reviewed May 7, 2009

I stayed a night in a single room at Hostel Jednota, it was cheap (600 kronas) and location was perfect as it was 200m from the train station, but it was very poorly maintained. Showers (a group of 3 each for men and women, for the pension single rooms) were clean but gave no privacy, and the shower head holder had broken off on all 3 of them, so while you are showering, you have to hold the shower head to your head.
The room was stuffy as the windows were sealed up and for some strange reason they left a tea towel on each bed. Disappointed as Lonely Planet described the hostel as being bright and modern. It was anything but!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 23, 2007

I stayed here with my (ex) boyfriend for the few days before our TEFL course started. The room was fine, but the showers were dirty and completely non-private and the toilets were no place you'd want to have intestinal problems. However, it was absolutely dirt-cheap.
For much nicer but slightly more expensive surroundings, try Hostel Elf in Zizkov, which is a huge backpacker hangout.

• Stayed: August 2004, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank meglo91
Reviewed November 27, 2006

As a group of three 21-year-olds travelling on a tight budget, we knew we couldn't expect too much from our £10 a night! This was our first stop on a tour of Eastern Europe and we stayed in worst places on our travels to be honest.

Walked up to the desk and managed to get a private room for the 3 of us and stayed for 4 nights. Location was really good - close to both the town (although we did get a little lost the first night) and the railway station (which we ended up in whilst getting lost!).

Rooms were pretty beaten up, but the door locked, the beds were comfortable and the 24-hour security on the front door seemed good. Yes, flip flops probably recommended in the showers but if you're looking for a comfortable place to stay for a few cheap nights in Prague then Jednota does the job. If you want luxury, avoid!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends