“The best place to stay in Prague”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Clown and Bard

Clown and Bard
Ranked #86 of 662 Specialty Lodging in Prague
Århus
“The best place to stay in Prague”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

The Clown and Bard has everything you need as a backpacker. Overall there is a good vibe, very friendly staff and fair prices for a bed and something to drink. When you wake up in the morning, (with or without a hangover) there is a nice, cheap breakfast waiting for you. If you should be in the situation of not knowing how to spend your time in this beautiful city, the staff will gladly provide you with info about the city. Whether you are into sightseeing or a view of the Czech nightlife, the staff will know where to go, and if they don´t know, it´s likely that there will be some local expats hanging out, who knows what to do and what not to do. Also this hostel has its own comedian, Horek (Greg). He will make you laugh, I promise.
The first time I stayed at The Clown and Bard, I had just got to Prague from Paris and was rather confused by the rather chaotic scene of this hostel. But as time went by, I experienced the place as a really cozy "home away from home". Be sure to get some beers and a chat with the people in the bar before heading out. Once you have stayed at The Clown and Bard, I will bet you would like to stay there again the next time you visit Prague.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

I've stayed here for 3 days on mid september 2012, and I didn't got dissapointed. The room was very large and clean, beds weren't bad,breakfast was OK and staff was very nice.

The only minus is the distance for city center. If you want to go walking, you'll take about 25-30 minutes to reach the old town square.

Room Tip: The attic room (Olive) is nice and very large .And since is on the 5th floor, must be the quiter. Ho...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JCAlmeida
Lille, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

the hostel is considered good as it has a great balance between price and service, the room s are clean the rates are not high at all, the breakfast is great and not expensive also, workers were helpful and it was all in all a good stay, also it is not far away away form the main train station.
again for what i have paid to get a bed in a 6-bed room, it was more than good

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

just thinking about old places iv visited i stayed hear last year in november and found it very good it was clean frendly and all the help you need if you if have a mind like myn, i found prauge to be like a more shady yet more adveturs place than amsterdam ! long story short id stay hear again !!

Room Tip: get the big room at the top of the staires with just 2 or 3 of you its very nice
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

I'm glad I got to write this review as I didn't think I would get out of there alive. It is always a great moment when you are sitting reading the reviews of the place you stayed in and the word 'rape' is used.

I think the photo's of our room speak for themselves, I only wish we had got photo's of the rest of the death trap.

Room Tip: The street is safer!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Tasha_Watson1990

Travelers are raving about these Prague hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights with friends.

Check in was slightly confusing - there were 7 of us, and we'd booked a room of 4 and a room of 3. Bizarrely, the group of 3 were housed in a large, light and spacious top floor room with 4 individual beds, an ensuite bathroom and extra floor with additional mattress, whilst us in the group of 4 were given a much smaller room, containing 2 normal beds and then 2 mattresses on top of the strange half-floor built into the room, accessed by a rickety wooden ladder. Luckily my friend opted to put his mattress down on the floor, leaving me the only person to sleep on the half floor - it was so creaky that it felt as if it would have collapsed with 2 people on it, not to mention being really inconvenient to get on and off. The room could also do with being maintained a bit better, as there was loads of graffiti everywhere.

Other than that inconvenience, the hostel was fine. There was a decent bar area which was a good place to start off with a drink in the evening or come back to later on (it was open all night), and there was table football too! I'd probably have enjoyed the stay much more if we'd been housed in a decent room - I'd recommend to the management that they ditch those stupid extra floros in some of the rooms, or at least make them safer and more accessible!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dan K
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2011

I have no idea what everyone below is talking about, this hostel is the worst place I have ever stayed and I've been traveling for 2 months. To start with it's ages from the centre of the town and is in a super seedy/dodgy area with dark streets and broken glass. Secondly the common room area constantly smells like cigarette smoke which isn't great if your asthmatic or hey just dont like the smell of tar and chemicals. Next off we had the RUDEST man check us in, he was off hand and charged us an extra 150kc without an explanation and then growled at us when we asked for the wifi password (which also doesn't work what a surprise). But wait it gets better, after you leave the smoky common area you get to try and make your way down the hall way where the tiles are either totally loose and moving or already gone. The mattresses on the beds were so thin I could feel the wooden slat when I turned over and the locker was so narrow I couldn't even fit my backpack in. But hey at least it's clean right? Wrong. There was old food in our room and old beer in our lockers and spiders hanging from the hallway ceilings. Better yet the toilets leaked and didn't have seat lids. And of course there were only two toilets and one shower. The only redeeming feature of this place was the breakfast (that only goes to 12 despite what other people say). The museli was good bu the bread tasted off and don't think you can escape paying for it either! This place was the absolute worst which was a real shame because the old part of Prague was beautiful and I felt like I wasted my time in the dirtiest and dingiest place in the whole city-I would have rathered slept in the train station. I know it sounds like I'm one of those picky and sensitive travelers but me and my friend have been all across Europe on a pretty stingy budget and have stayed at a few shady places but I have never experienced anything like this and I hope I never do again. STAY AWAY!

• Stayed October 2011