“Old world charm” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #64 of 670 Hotels in Prague
Marlborough, New Hampshire
“Old world charm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

We were looking for a nice centrally located hotel, and found this through booking.com, and confirmed with Tripadvisor reviews. We were not disappointed. Located just a few steps from the Charles Bridge, it offered easy access to the all the central districts. Access by car is not too hard to manage, and parking was available in a small quiet square right behind the hotel.

Our room turned out to be a suite with large corner bedroom, anteroom with single bed and breakfast table and kithenette, and a decent sized bathroom, which had been recently upgraded. Only a shower (no bath), but that was fine for us. All the paint was fresh, and the unit clean. The bed was very comfortable, and we both slept well. Old style (European traditional) double windows gave good ventilation, but also kept the noise out.

Breakfast (included) was a full range traditional continental breakfast, with delicious fresh beads and nice strong coffee. All the staff were extremely friendly, and we enjoyed a very pleasant late night cocktail at the end of our first day. BTW, guests get 10% discount on any food/drinks in the restaurant.

Overall, a small hotel, but I think you would be hard put to find better in central Prague.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank splashinNH
nuzky, Manager at The Golden Scissors, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for you stay and for taking the time to write such a nice and positive feedback. We were pleased to read that you appreciated the location of the hotel and all staff- it is pleasure for me to share your compliments with my staff because is always nice to know that we are doing a good job!
We are looking forward to take care for you on your next visit to Prague.

Warm regards to New Hampshire
George Pokorný

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

In October 2012, my wife and I stayed for one night in the U Zlatych Nuzek in Prague. Our choice of hotel was very lucky because the U Zlatych Nuzek made our city trip a lasting experience - in the most positive way. The hotel is perfectly located at the west side of the Charles bridge. All the famous sights are within walking distance. The hotel has a small but very nice restaurant with excellent food. I can really recommend the honey cake! We had room number 10 (at the top floor) with a stunning view at the Prague castle. The room was very clean, had a huge bath tub and is quite spacious. It is absolutely quiet, the only small disadvantage is the fact that there is no elevator but we didn't mind at all to climb the three floors. Overall, a clear recommendation and the first place I will look at my next trip to Prague.

Room Tip: We have only seen our room, but since there is no traffic around the hotel, I can see no disadvantag...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank speedseeker
Dear Guest,
thank you for the pleasant commentary. We are glad that you were satsified with your choice of the hotel. Hopefully we will have soon chance to welcome you back at the Golden scissors.

Best regards to Germany,
Brisane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

I recently spent four nights in Prague at the U Zlatych Nuzek. I stayed in room 8 which was three flights of stairs up (there is no elevator however staff offered and then took my extremely heavy huggage up to the room for me).

The location was perfect, central to everything. It is situated right next to the Charles Bridge (3/4 along the bridge), and a 5-10 minute walk to either end of the bridge. Trams and Metro stations are both close by, along with ATMs and Internet Cafe's.

Staff were extremely professional and the manager was particularly helpful in pointing out places/services on a map and explaining ways in which I could get to places/travel around the city.

My room was extremely large with TV, double bed (extremely comfortable), two opening doors with minor balconies (you can't actually go out on the balcany though), and everything else that any traveller would need.

Breakfast was included with my room, it was more than substantial and is held in the inside part of the restaurant before it opens to the public for lunch. I also ate at the restaurant for lunch on my last full day at the hotel and wish I had eaten there more often as the meal I had was spectacular.

Whether travelling as a couple, group or solo like myself, I would definitely recommend staying at U Zlatych Nuzek.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Brooke W
Dear Guest,

I would like to Thank you so much that you choose our hotel for your recent stay in Prague and for your kind review you posted here. I am happy that you enjoyed your holiday and that you were satisfied with our location and room.
I am looking forward to welcoming you in the near future

Kind regards to Brisane
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Having spent 4 nights in Prague I can't imagine a more convenient location for sightseeing. This hotel is literally under the Charles Bridge. We were a 7-10 minute walk from the metro and about 5 minutes from the tram.

I had room #4 which was 2 flights up. The room was very spacious with a large wardrobe, 2 night tables, double bed, TV, mini-fridge, 2 upholstered chairs and a coffee table. Two large windows looked out over the charming square and views of the Charles Bridge. Window boxes filled with geraniums. The bathroom was very large, with a deep soaking tub, separate shower, toilet, bidet, sink, cabinet and towel warmer.

Staff were very good, arranging private driver pickup at the airport. Breakfast was plentiful, with fresh fruit, yogurt, breads, pastries, hard-boiled eggs, cheeses, juices, coffee, etc. Outdoor seating is available for the onsite restaurant and offers an excellent opportunity for people-watching in the square.

The hotel was immaculately clean, secure, well-staffed, perfectly located, and reasonably priced. I would not even consider another hotel if I return to Prague.

Room Tip: I had room #4 which was 2 flights up. The room was very spacious with a large wardrobe, 2 night tab...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for you stay and for taking the time to write such a nice and positive feedback. We were pleased to read that you appreciated the location of the hotel and all staff.
If you decide to come to Prague let us know, we will keep a nice room for you:-)

Warm regards to Pennsylvania
Clonmel, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed recently at this hotel. The location couldn't be better. It is situated only 50 meters from The Charles Bridge. The rooms are spacious and comfortable.The restaurant is excellent. The staff are friendly and very helpful.
There are some fine restaurants in the area around the hotel and they are not as busy as those in the old town accross the bridge.
I only have one reservation about this hotel and that is that it is not manned by staff at night. It is quite a small hotel and access by night is by electronic room key through the main entrance. There is an emergency tel no. displayed on the door (I suppose for the possibility of someone misplacing their key) There is no possibility to get a drink or snack from the bar once they close up, around 11.30pm.

Room Tip: No lift so not suitable for disabled.
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for such a great review. We are very pleased that you did enjoy your vacation and will be very happy to welcome you back at the Golden scissors.

Kind regards to Ireland
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

We had a wonderful stay in Prague in this very well-located hotel. The room was spacious and full of light, the bathroom huge and beautiful. Especially appreciated was the extremely helpful, friendly staff in reception as well as in the bar-restaurant. This hotel is located on a lovely square on Kampa Island just a stones throw from steps leading up onto the Mala Strana end of the Charles Bridge. This is a wonderful, quiet location, away from the congested feeling of the city just across the bridge, yet at the same time so close to everything. The Malastranska metro station and a big tram stop is a 1/3 mile (0.6 km) walk, and a slightly nearer tram stop is about 1/4 mile (0.4 km) away at Malestranske Namesti. Weather permitting, the restaurant serves lunch and dinner at outside tables right in front.

1 Thank Michael A
nuzky, Manager at The Golden Scissors, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review. We are glad that our hotel left such a good impression on you, and you have enjoyed your stay with us as much as you did. My staff and I are looking forward to your next visit.

Kind regards to Philadelphia
George Pokorny
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

U Zlatych Nuzek (At the Golden Scissors)
What a restaurant !
As you walk over The Charles Bridge from the Old Town, heading for The Lesser Town and the Castle complex, you will notice a beautiful small island in the Vltava River on your left as you near the end of the bridge.
You will see the steps down onto Kampa Island from the Charles Bridge on your left. Walk down these steps and onto the island, you will see a lovely street with trees in the centre, U Zlatych Nuzek is just on your right hand side.
We ate there on a Monday evening with a nice view of The Charles Bridge to look at in between our courses. The food here is very good and the prices are also good, making this restaurant very good value for money.
We were served all evening by a lovely Czech girl called Lucie, who was very busy, but still had the time to explain the various dishes on the menu. All the food we ate was excellent, and the Czech Honey Cake called Marlenka was just incredible ! it is very similar to the Ukrainian version, but we found it not so sweet. Lucy was very good to us all evening, and we feel we have made a friend with her. We shall return to eat here again in November when we return. This was my 7th trip to Prague, I go twice a year, it really is the greatest city in Eastern Europe. U Zlatych Nuzek is one of the greatest restaurants in this great and historic city !

I Recommended U Zlatych Nuzek and dear Lucie 100%, Richard Kaminski.

2 Thank trigga1526
Dear Richard,
thank you so much for choosing our restaurant and for this lovely feedback written through Tripadvisor to us and other travellers... I am happy that you were satisfied with our staff (especially with Lucka :)), location and meals. We are looking forward to see you in November.

Warm regards to London