“Delightful -- steps from the sights but an oasis of calm”

The Golden Scissors
Ranked #110 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed October 29, 2011

At the Golden Scissors is an ideal location -- literally under the middle of the famous Charles Bridge, on a quiet "island" (really a small area with a canal on one side and the river on the other) called Na Kampa. This lovely little inn has a quiet, restful atmosphere while being an easy walk from the spectacular sights of Prague on either side of the bridge. The hotel's a refuge from the congested crowds of tourists in the old and new town, and you can't get lost -- just find the bridge and find your set of steps!

The rooms are charming and very clean, with hardwood floors, casement windows, blue-tiled bathrooms and Mitel-European-style low beds with fluffy comforters. The hotel faces a lovely facade of equally old pastel houses, with a courtyard-sized park between where we watched a street fair over the weekend.

The young staff were warm, welcoming and helpful. Breakfast includes breads, jams, cheeses, pate and sliced meat, juice, cereals and hard boiled eggs.

The restaurant is open for dinner --- we ate there one evening at the outdoor area under heat lamps while enjoying people-watching. The citrus chicken with mashed potatoes was delicious.

Prague is so jam-packed with tourists much of the time that we were very glad we didn't opt for a hotel in one of the major squares. At the Golden Scissors, while literally steps away from everything, was an oasis of calm.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gailfromhome

Reviewed October 8, 2011

I've stayed here a few times and like it because of its excellent location next to the bridge and just across the river from the main old city. It's very close to all the action, but is relatively quiet.

Just step out of the hotel and you're on the Charles Bridge in under a minute, it's pretty hard to beat that for location.

The rooms vary in size, however the ones I've stayed in were all a good, comfortable size. The rooms are well-maintained, clean and have what you need for a nice stay in Prague. You might also be lucky and get a good view, depending on your room.

My interaction with staff has always been good and the restaurant is also good.

There are other good places to eat and have a drink on Kampa Island, some with a nice view back across the river to the old city.

I'd recommend the Golden Scissors and will stay there again next time I'm in Prague.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank HernanCortez
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We really enjoyed staying here in Prague this last weekend. Daniel was exceptional with service...all the way to booking child-friendly theater for us, which we enjoyed, though we didn't understand a word of it!! The location is fantastic & the food at the hotel is excellent. Our only bad experience in Prague was the rip-off taxi from the train station...but if we had called Daniel at the hotel, he would've gotten us one at the right price.

thank you for an excellent stay in your beautiful city...if we return, we will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank LookingForFamilyFun
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I stayed here while in Prague on business. My room was a double room overlooking the main entrance. It was very spacious with a full closet, couch, chair, bar table and double bed. The bathroom was huge with a full tub, stand up shower and his/her sinks.

The hotel staff were especially helpful in helping me navigate the city. They were extremely friendly and always greeted me with a smile and asked how my day went in the evening. The convenience of having breakfast included in the price was very helpful. Unfortunately, I didn't eat at the restaurant for lunch or dinner but heard from other travelers that the food was very good.

Lastly, the best thing about this hotel is the location! You can't get any better than this...it is located on Kampa Island and just steps from the Charles Bridge. Wonderful location and I walked the entire time I was in Prague even though my meetings were in different parts of the city.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This spring my family and I went to Prague for six days. We decided to stay in «U Zlatych nuzek », and we booked the biggest room on the last floor. The hotel is situated very suitable for walks, because it is just near the Charles Bridge on the Kampa island. It is also famous because of the Prague legends – it is said that near «U Zlatych nuzek » lived mermen Kabourek, that loved drinking beer in the hotel restaurant famous by its cuisine.
Although it was very late when we arrived, the receptionist was waiting for us, he welcomed and explained everything about the accommodation in the hotel. We were very tired, so it was a bit hard to go upstairs with all our luggage. The hotel does not have an elevator and we had to lift our bags by hands.
Anyway, our room was really good and comfortable. What is more, there was a small balcony in the room, the view from it is really magnificent! It shows us a part of the Charles bridge and the Prague Castle. Also, there are all necessary things for comfortable living. Our room was cleaned very well and properly.
As for breakfast, it was rather small, but it was even better because we didn’t go on excursions gorged. Breakfast consisted of different yogurts, berry jams, pates, some vegetables and fruits.
The staff was very quick and friendly. Everybody was ready to help us and to answer our questions, reception was very polite. Special thanks to Daniel who was very helpful and friendly.
Generally our stay was very pleasant and comfortable and I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank MoscowAndrey
Reviewed May 14, 2011

My wife and I just spent a delightful 4 night stay at U Zlatych Nuzek (By the Golden Scissors). Our room (#7, third floor), no elevator was large and very comfortable. The bathroom as large and spotless. The decor was simple but entirely satisfactory. The beds were comfortable, and the room was quiet. The inn is located on Kampa Island, a stone's throw from Charles Bridge, yet completely separated from the tourist hubbub. The island is a serene oasis in the midst of the bustling city, with a park at one end and the elegant diplomatic quarter close at hand. Our room faced the "street", but there was absolutely no noise. The staff ( a rotating cast featuring George, Tom & Daniel) was friendly and helpful. The restaurant on the ground level serves hearty Czech fare. We booked through an online service, which leads to my only negative comment; when the invoice arrived, it was higher than the amount quoted by the online service. I complained to the online service, which sorted it out promptly; the explanation offered was that the hotel was applying its "in house" exchange rate, instead of the actual better rate. The difference was immediately refunded. One of many nice touches - free WiFi. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BullwinkleJMoose
Reviewed May 3, 2011

I was really impressed by the beaty of Praga but I remained more impressed by the hotel where I stayed with my husband and my kids. "At the golden scissors" hotel can be considered as a pearl on the Kampa Island. It is clean and comfortable. It is very near to the most important attractions and it is located under the Charles Bridge.
Daniel and Thomas are two wonderful persons, very carefull to your needs and wishes. PERFECT. I advise this hotel for your stay in Prague.

Room Tip: Number 10 is the golden view room.