“Location, location, location!!”
Review of Hotel Liberty

Hotel Liberty
Ranked #28 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I have just returned from a wonderful weekend in Prague. Having read the reviews on Trip Advisor I had a feeling the hotel was going to be good but it still managed to surpass my expectations…

First, the location is absolutely brilliant - it is a 10 second walk from Wenceslas Square, just 2 minutes around the corner you will find the Astronomical Clock in the Old Town Square and as for shops and hostelries they are positioned at every angle around the hotel! You could not beat the location!!!

The rom itself was great (number 8) – very big double bed in a room with gorgeous high ceilings and large windows overlooking the busy street outside. We had a small balcony which overlooked the street but we could not hear any sound from the crowds below thanks to the thick double-glazed windows. In the room we had big wardrobes, a chest of drawers, a mini fridge, a safe (free of charge), a dressing table with a large mirror and a bed side locker each on either side of the bed. As I said we were only in Prague for a weekend but it we were given even storage space to have stayed for a month!!!

The bathroom was a good size, however I would have one complaint about it – I had requested a bath in advance of my arrival and there was no problem whatsoever with this request however there was no shower curtain around the bath nor was there any where to hold the shower hose so without fail every time we showered we absolutely drenched the whole bathroom floor! We were provided with sufficient towels and there was a (small) bath mat but it just wasn’t enough to soak up all the water that leaked out each time!? Perhaps investing in shower curtains and shower holders is something that the hotel might consider??

There was a television in the room and although we weren’t looking to watch much television whilst we were there, we would have liked the option of having it on whilst we got ready in the evenings or in the mornings and unfortunately there was only 1 English speaking channel (BBC news) which just had the same stories and news programmes on repeat all of the time. For a hotel which caters to a lot of English speakers (I imagine) it would probably be worthwhile having a few more channels to choose from.

We were staying on a B&B basis. The breakfast was served each morning from 7.00 – 10.30am downstairs in the basement. It was a great breakfast with something for everybody!! Each morning there was hot food on offer - sausages, bacon, scrambled/fried eggs, beans, then there was an array of breads: rolls, sweet breads, savoury breads (a toaster was provided), yogurts, fruit salad (one criticism that I would have is that the fruit salad was very basic each morning it was just apples, oranges and kiwis, in my opinion a few seasonal fruits wouldn’t have gone astray but that it personal choice not a complaint!) then there were a few different cereals on offer and to top it all off pancakes!! There was more than enough on offer to set you up for the day!!! Also there was a coffee machine which made delicious lattes and a wide range of flavoured teas and also fruit juices albeit from concentrate.

Whether you are going for a short trip as we did or for a long sojourn to Prague I could not recommend this hotel more it was in the perfect location with very pleasant, friendly and helpful staff, with lovely comfortable rooms and there was a delicious breakfast on offer each day!! It made our trip to Prague all the more enjoyable and if I am ever afforded the opportunity to return to Prague I will definitely be staying in Hotel Liberty!!!

Room Tip: We asked for a bath with a nice view! We got the bath our room had a balcony which over looked the c...
2  Thank Jessa101
Write a ReviewReviews (1,222)

Reviewed April 28, 2013

The hotel as I expected from reading the reviews, was just beyond that. It really exceeded all my expectations. I was very happy with my choice and wonderful stay in the city. Entire building is stunning and wonderfully constructed. My room was very beautifully decorated with lots of fabric. It was not too big, but was quite comfortable. Washroom had all the luxurious things. All meals were amazing, had a great variety and catered for all tastes. Staff is very polite and went out of their way to help us. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Suzanne A
Reviewed April 18, 2013

The Liberty was a good choice as its located right in the hub of all the attractions the rooms are spacious and clean,the staff are friendly and always have a smile for you.We were there for a long weekend and did a lot of walking so would advise flat shoes as all the steets are cobbled stones.Would definetly stay at the Liberty if ever returning to Prague

1  Thank irenemidlothian
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Lovely hotel in central location. Courteous and efficient staff, who are low-key but always on hand to advise and assist. Bedroom was extremely well appointed and spotless. Breakfast offered a full range of choices in a relaxed atmosphere. A first class choice for a break in Prague.

Room Tip: Occupied a front facing room on to a Main Street but did not experience any noise.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Morag E
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The hotel is located in the best part of the city--Wenceslas Square. Central to everything, including the main train line and a huge underground station. Great shopping and easy walking access to all the key tourist points, including the Jewish Quarter, the Castle District, and too many great brew pubs to mention. The hotel was clean, quiet, and spacious and served a great variety of foods in their COMPLIMENTARY breakfast each morning. The rooms were bigger than what I expected for a European hotel. The concierge was very helpful in giving us directions and tips on making reservations and sightseeing tours. My husband and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a great hotel in Prague! I am pregnant with our first child and would not hesitate to bring the baby back here next time, either, when she's a bit older, of course!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I really enjoyed the locality; design and room of hotel. Breakfast great and service good. I would stay at the liberty again thanks The inforn as tion given by staff was always accurate and helpful. Prague is a beautiful town.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 14, 2013

After reading all the positive reviews of this property, I was sure that we had found a great value and deal for a getaway to Prague. My boyfriend and I were greatly disappointing!!! While the property is in a great location to the walking district and historical downtown sights, everything else about the hotel was miserable. Initial contact with the hotel was awful. The location is within the walking district, so the hotel obviously does not have it's own parking. When we contacted the desk to find the nearest parking area, the man was very rude and instructed us to just find street parking (which is impossible in Prague). We ended up driving around the city for over an hour attempting to find a parking area (which is a 15 minute walk to the hotel - I was on crutches at the time which made any walking extremely difficult!). The room was old and run down looking. The "view" out of window was of the back area of another building. European beds are notoriously firm, but this bed felt like it was sleeping on a piece of ply wood. I think the floor would have been more comfortable!! The bathroom - what an interesting design. It was a square with a different item in each corner - a sink in one, a knee high shower in another, a toilet in the third, and a towel rack in the fourth. There was no shower door or any separation whatsoever between the shower and the rest of the bathroom. Whenever you took a shower, the entire bathroom was completely soaked. The floor became very slippery and dangerous. The breakfast was mediocre at best and the servers were very nonchalant and paid no mind to guests. Overall, this was a very poor experience. Definitely not a 4-star hotel, even for Eastern Europe!!!

Note: Other than the initial rude person operating the front desk, the rest of the reception staff were great! They spoke amazing English, took the time to teach us a few Czech words, and even assisted in booking a short tour for us. Kudos to them!

3  Thank Jennio44
Hotel-Liberty, General Manager at Hotel Liberty, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Jennio44,

Thank you very much for your report. Of course I am not happy to read that your
City break in our hotel was so terrible and I am really sorry for that.
I am use to have satisfied Guests and I work hard trying offer to our Clients the best of myself and of my staff. From when I am child I always hear that there is always the first time on everything (your experience is the worse from when this hotel has been opened 12 years ago), but even If I can do nothing to change the past, I hope that I will learn something from this.
As you write the hotel is in a pedestrian area and we do not have a garage. In the center of Prague no parking area are free of charge and if you find a Parking the only one available are those with the automatic machine. You cannot pay more than 2 hours in advance so you are forced to go back to your car periodically if you do not want to risk that the police fine you.
For this reason we advise our Guests to use one garage around our hotel and for those Guests who want to use this service we prepare one Voucher which give them the right to get almost 30% of discount on the standard rate.
On this voucher you will find the map, with the explanation how to get to the garage, the address and the GPS coordinate.
To get back from the Parking it is shorter, because by feet, you do not have to respect the one way streets. You have to cross all Wenceslas square, (almost 1km long) or In alternative you use the subway which take you at our hotel in 1 stop.
I am sorry to read that you had to walk with your crutches. Our bellboy on duty 18hours per day could help you with the luggage, or our receptionist could call you a taxi, for the way back from the garage. I think that maybe there was a missing understanding with the receptionist. It is true that the parking is just on the street, but maybe for parking you was meaning one place to park your car and nobody told you about the garage because they were thinking that you wanted a parking.
If you are feeling that the receptionist was unpleasant to you, I apologize on his name but I would highly appreciate if you could let me know when this happened.
Our hotel has 33 rooms, and the main of those are with the view on the street. We usually try to give the rooms with the best view to all the Guests, but when we are fully booked we have to give the priority to the Guests that ask for it when booking the room. If you would inform us that you did not like the room, we could try to change it to you, or if not possible the day of the arrival, we could arrange the change for the day after.
From the description of the bathroom, and from the view, I can easily recognize that you were in the only room equipped for disables. This room typology has the shower without doors to make sure that the disables can take a shower themselves, and has been projected with handles for the needs of the disables.
This does not mean that a person which does not need a wheelchair cannot use the bathroom or the toilet, but I understand that if you take a shower in this room you make wet all the floor, and I want to apology for that.
Our beds have the staves in beech wood and the matrasses are less than 6 months old, made with a combination of foam coconut fiber, with a hardness medium high, considerate healthy and comfortable by the expert in the field
My opinion is that the comfort of the beds is different from one person to another. For this reason, we have 6 soft mattresses in our store that we can offer to those Guests which prefer to sleep on the soft. To provide this we have to know that, because the main of our Guests prefer the standard mattresses but as I instructed my staff, they could realize that something does not go, simply asking some question to you (is it everything ok? May I do something for you? For any needs please do not hesitate to call me). I am really sorry that this did not happened, means that I have to intensify the training to improve the attitude of my staff.
I make periodically meeting with my staff, trying to improve their attitude, because It is clear that the Guests are the most important on the travel business. I am very sorry to read that 1 person was rude to you, and if it is possible, I would like to ask you to let me know when this person was on duty, because I would like to talk to him and make sure that this will not happened again.
As I can read almost all the problem could be solved with few questions from our side.
If we knew that you was not happy, we could change you the room, on the top floor with a good view, with the standard shower. If it was not possible the day of arrival, we could do that the day after.For sure we could change your mattress with a softer one and make your stay slightly less awful than how much it was. I am really sorry to note that it is too late for that and that now I can do nothing else than apologize for what happened.

Best Regards