“Lavish Art Deco”

Ranked #47 of 651 Hotels in Prague
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Lavish Art Deco”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I stayed at the Imperial at the end of June 2012, travelling solo.

I want to get this out of the way first and foremost. One thing I noted in the negative reviews here, is that the staff has been unfriendly and unhelpful. This could not be in more stark contrast to my experience. For me, the staff was fantastically helpful and generous in answering questions.

Locationwise the Imperial is perfectly situated. You can get everywhere quickly either by foot or by tram, and finding my way from the airport was quite easy. Protip though: Only take the 1.1.1. or AAA taxis from the airport, as other smaller companies are likely to inflate their prices and fleece you. You will also be able to get a discount on the return trip to the airport.

The room itself was absolutely spotless, but I will say this: Unless you really like the art deco style (as I do), you will probably have issues with the visual of the Imperial. If you do enjoy art deco, you are in for a treat. The style is prevalent eveywhere, from the lobby to the café, from the hallways to the bar.

The bed was large and very comfortable, just the right balance between hard and soft.

I had requested a smoking room away from the street, and the hotel was quite able to accomodate my wishes.

The edge to the shower/bathtub was a bit high, which was not a problem for a tall lanky fellow like myself, but I imagine it may be an issue for shorter folk.

I hung out quite a lot in the bar, and both of the gentlemen manning it were polite, quick, and mixed excellent cocktails.

I also had dinner in the Imperial Café one night which was also fantastic. I had pleasant banter with the waiter, and he was eager to ensure that everything was satisfactory.

I can also highly recommened choosing to include breakfast. Opposed to others I did not find it at all crowded (perhaps because I usually eat breakfast at around 9:30?), and I found the variety of food and drink quite good. Try the mini pancakes, they were delicious.

The concierge was effective in helping me to book the tour I wanted, but I have to say, be careful with booking a tour with "Premiant Tours" that the hotel recommends. I went on two tours with them, and on one tour our guide had to say everything in both Italian and English (and his English was not too good, I must say), which made the whole experience feel rushed. The other time, our guide spoke in such monotonous tone I felt like she was trying to hyponotize us. It was not the most positive experience for me.

There were few negatives with the Imperial, but there were indeed some. Apparently there was some sort of construction work going on at the hotel, so one morning I woke up to a bald constructing worker standing on some scaffolding right outside my window. It would have been nice, and courteous might I add, of the hotel staff to have informed me of this possibility.

The only other negative that I can think of would be the mini bar in the room. I usually clear it out so I can put my own drinks and foodstuff in there, but at the Imperial they use an electronic system to see what you have taken out. The space in the fridge that is provided for guest use is simply too small, and I found it rather annoying. Not to mention that the whole "We're keeping track" thing suggest they do not trust their guests. It was odd, to say the least.

But overall, I would absolutely stay at the Imperial again. I'd give it 9/10.

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the back of the building. The noise from the trams can be a bit bothersome.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed June 29, 2012

a good hotel. nice and reach decor. the straff was very helpfull. can arrange every means of visit or trnasportaiton or food needs. the location is very good for touring the old parts of the city.
the breakfast is quite poor. espresso is not included.
internet cost extra money unless you use it during breakfact or in the bar.

Room Tip: use public transportation when needed. for instance, to get to the airport it cost us only 180 Kcz i...
1 Thank Itzik B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2012

One of the best hotels I have staid in! Not only is the decor itself amazing but the location and staff were both great.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This elegant place had it all. Great room with 2 bathrooms for a $30 upgrade over the pre-booked river cruise package, excellent restaurant, and wonderful service. My wife had a minor medical emergency, and the concierge made all the arrangements to get her to a doctor quickly and smoothly. The wi-fi worked perfectly, which should be the rule, but asn't always the case.

Almere, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 24, 2012

According to the hotel....a five star hotel.
It'isn't in comparison with Four Seasons even the Hilton is better. The breakfast is mediocre.
Everything is there and a lot of choice, but not first class. Orange juice isn't fres, croissants are small and no Ok
No bell boy, nothing special. Small rooms and you have to pay for everything.
Internet isn't free either.
I think it's a good three star hotel...but not worth 200 euro per night.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Glenrothes,Fife,Scotland
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We enjoyed a thoroughly good weekend at the Imperial. The service is excellent from the time I booked in January to our visit on 8th June. This was a special occasion for us and I had told my wife we were staying at the same place (The Brixen) when I last visited Prague in 2006 for football purposes to watch Hearts play Sparta Prague, so I informed the hotel of my little secret and they went along with it giving us a nice high floor room on the side of the hotel with views towards Prague Castle. We used the hotel limo service for airport transfers and the hotel sent a top of the range E class Mercedes which started of the weekend perfectly and upon our arrival at the Imperial the surprise was even turned on me when after swiflty checking in we were taken to our upgraded room which also had complimentary Champagne and strawberries!

The room itself was good size with large comfortable bed, large TV (handy for Euro 2012!). There is a mini bar but we didn't use it. The bathroom again a good size, nice style but the bath panel is a touch high so take care getting in and out. Great powerful shower so no complaints at all. Thought I had taken a photo of room but hadn't so only bathroom and strawberry photos!

Breakfasts are taken in the restaurant, they were plentiful and always well stocked we generally had breakfast about 0945 or so and always plenty to choose. You can ask for fried eggs at the omlette station if you wish.

We had one meal in the restaurant on the Saturday evening. I thought approx £62 for 3 courses each and bottle of wine was good value for a restaurant of this quality and very,very good meals they were indeed.

There is a small lounge bar. Petr the barman is helpful in selecting background music and also showing football on the TV! Complimentary internet and printing is available on the right hand side of reception.

The hotel oozes quality and class, it is very decorative and creates a lovely ambience is in a good location as mentioned in other reviews, there is also a Lidl supermarket about 50 yards left (as you exit) from hotel. 2 bottles of lovely wine and bottle of water £3.20!!
I found most beers in the City (except old town square) were around £1.50 and £2 or so for vodka/coke or so. Very reasonable for a city (mind you it was only 75p a pint in 2006!)

We attended a show in the State Opera House, it is a stunning venue. We did a lunch river cruise and it was a very pleasant way to spend a couple of hours, you get your own table and the large picture window lets you see everything if you can't go outside if raining. The food was very good and the boat itself immaculately kept, including large toilets.

We did same as an earlier reviewer and after checking out on the Monday (the baggage room is opposite reception and receipts given) we took the hotel car (a merc, what else would you get!) to Prague Castle walked around the lovely buildings saw the changing of the guard, saw the blackened statue of the man in the courtyard, on way down to viewing point ,who has a particular part which is gold!

We walked back to hotel via some of the sights we had already seen but very pleasant it was again. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, lovely hotel with friendly professional staff. Thanks for a really good stay, we would not hesitate to recommend the Art Deco Imperial and have actually done so already.

Room Tip: High floor to avoid hearing early morning tram noise
Istanbul
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed at Art Deco Imperial Hotel for four nights and found the staff friendly and helpful even arranging a box breakfast for us to take on our early morning flight out. Lovely art deco hotel. Arranging hotel transfer to the airport at 3am was appreciated as we felt safe and the driver was extremely helpful. Would stay here again as great location and easy walking distance to see the attractions and restaurants. Value for price paid.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com