“Fair value”
Review of Hotel Orion

Hotel Orion
Ranked #266 of 647 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We booked for 5 nights in this hotel. After reading the glowing reports on Tripadvisor I must say that my expectations were high. For the price we paid I think we got quite fair value. But with a little bit of effort this hotel could be just so much better.
The location in the very nice suburb of Vinorahdy was good. Namesti Miru which is a transport hub for bus, tram (including the #22) and subway connections, is just a short walk to the hotel and so getting into the centre is easy and cheap. We walked many times and it took us around 25 minutes depending on how tired we were.
There are several bars, cafe`s, wine bars and restaurants in the vicinity which are reasonably priced.
Our room, reached by an elevator, was on the third floor (#33) and it was very large, an apartment really, with a kitchen, separate bathroom and bed/sitting room. Lots of windows to let in the light but thin curtains only so that the light streamed straight in in the morning. The beds were comfortable but there was only one very flat pillow on each bed. Although the hotel booklet stated that we only had to ask if we needed more pillows it proved to be extremely difficult to get any! We asked for two more pillows on four separate occasions and were told quite firmly and unequivocally that the hotel was full and that no pillows were available! On the third morning we finally got the pillows!
Furnishings overall were comfortable but certainly not fancy. Television had a couple of English speaking channels which we appreciated. Wifi free in the room or in the lobby was mostly reliable.
The bathroom was clean with a shower over the bath and a wonky sink tap. The bath was deep and there was no non-slip mat so you need to be very careful getting in and out of the tub (difficult for older people). The shower curtain had definitely seen better days and was brown around the bottom. Towels were clean but very spartan and several of them had torn edges and frayed holes. But the water was hot and plentiful.
Breakfast was buffet style in the basement. The selection of food did not vary much but was fresh. There were no jams, only honey, so bring your own if you like toast and jam. The breakfast staff were pleasant and replaced food quickly.
The Reception staff spoke adequate English which always makes things easier. I found the rather abrupt response to our request for pillows rather disconcerting and was taken aback by the inability to find a couple of pillows. A more smiling approach would have made it more pleasant.
But, on the whole, fair value for money.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank OzziePG
TomasLev, General Manager at Hotel Orion, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Dear OzziePG,
Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your experience with Hotel Orion.
I really sorry for the situation with a pillows.
Greetings from Prague

Reviewed May 16, 2012

I found this hotel on the internet and thought the price was reasonable based on the facilities available. And I do think so after my stay in the hotel Orion, area Prague 2. I travelled together with my mum, we arrived around 10am in the hotel and the check in was ok. The (male) receptionist was friendly, handed out the key immediately and a map. Informed us about the public transport and how to get to the nearest station. The room, we stayed in # 41, was ok: quiet, clean, extremely spacious (kitchen, small living room and a large bedroom with enough space for luggage. Beds are just ok. Bathroom is ok, clean. Don't expect luxurious furniture or huge mirrors and nice lightning, but is it more comfortable than just a standard bedroom!
Breakfast: bread, boiled eggs, cheese, ham, sausage, yoghurt, cereals, marmelade, honey, coffee, tea, milk and some fruit (orange/apple). The only thing is that the breakfast area is in the basement, lack of daily light and would be nice if the area is larger.
Guests can use the computer/internet for free near the reception.
Hotel is situated near the Namesti Miru square, about 10 minutes walk to metro/tram. It takes another 10 minutes to get to the city centre (tram to Malostranske Namesti). Just outside the hotel you will find some nice bars and small restaurants where you can settle down and enjoy your coffee on the terrace away from the traffic, the noise of and the crowd. A quiet area where you can walk around without the feeling that you are isolated, but where you will not find hundreds of tourists!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Urs40,
Thank you for your positive rating and for recommending our hotel to TripAdvisor.
Best regards.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in May after reading some glowing reviews on this website, but we were disappointed. There was nothing bad about our stay there, it was just very 'meh.' In fairness, the apartment we had was about twice the size of our London apartment and it had amazing views. But everything else was kind of lacking. The apartment itself was barely decorated and had zero charm. The breakfast was downright sad. The staff were as friendly as they needed to be and no more. The bed was just comfortable enough. If the price were lower I would have been quite happy I think, but it's just not great value for money.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aphidxx
TomasLev, General Manager at Hotel Orion, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2012

Dear JessBrand,
let me thank you for choosing the Hotel Orion and for taking your time to share your feedback with us and with visitors of TripAdvisor web page.
I’m very sorry to hear about your experiences during your stay at our hotel.
With best regards

Reviewed April 26, 2012

This was my second stay at Orion Hotel in Prague, and it was an excellent experience again! Everything I wrote in my first review on the hotel back in October 2011 still holds true. This time, however, it even got better, since they included buffet breakfast with variety of food of great taste and quality! I will definitely book a room at Orion on my next trip to Prague!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
TomasLev, General Manager at Hotel Orion, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

Dear Slavakha,
I am most grateful for your kind comments on TripAdvisor. Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your experience and for indicating you would recommend our Hotel Orion.
We certainly look forward to welcome you.
Sincerely

Reviewed April 23, 2012

The day before I was due to arrive in Prague for my 1st visit there, I received an email from the hotel I originally booked with that they could no longer accommodate me and had switched me to their sister hotel Orion. I was a little worried but decided there was nothing I could do since I was about to get on my overnight train to Prague from Krakow.

I arrived at the train station and the original hotel was kind enough to send a car for me to bring me to Hotel Orion. Upon arriving (it was quite early) they did not have a room for me. The lady at the front desk in my opinion was rude. She didn't want to accommodate me even though I had worked out with the other hotel that I'd be arriving early. So I sat in the lobby with nothing to do for quite some time. She suggested I go walk around town for 6 hours until my room was ready but I had just came off of an overnight train, I wanted a shower and fresh clothes. I was more disturbed with how she spoke to me about the situation than the fact that rooms weren't ready. Eventually, a room became available.

I got into my room and wow! It was an entire apartment. I almost immediately forgot about my bad run in with the lady at the front desk. It was clean, comfortable and seriously an entire apartment. I'm use to rooms in Europe that I barely fit in with my luggage so this was quite a treat. Once I saw it I actually wished I was staying more days. I hadn't checked out the hotels website before arriving (remember it was a last minute change) so I'm not sure if apartment style rooms are advertised on the site.

The area the hotel is situated in is very nice, quiet, safe and not far from attractions, a 5-10 walk will put you right at the metro which was very convenient and easy to use. There are quite a few local restaurants in the area. I just walked in/out of each one reading menus and getting a feel for the scene before choosing where to dine each evening. I think I actually dined in the hotel area every night of my stay - there was a good amount of places to choose from. The breakfast in the morning had a great selection and was tasty. No complaints there.

Aside from my bad run in with the front desk and also having to leave my room key every time I left the hotel I really don't have a complaint. I would have given it an excellent rating if it wasn't for her. Every time I dropped off my key and picked it up she just didn't seem pleasant. But in no way did she ruin the rest of the hotel experience.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo

Dear NJGirlvTheWorld,
I would like to thank you for spending your time and giving us feedback about your stay at Hotel Orion.
Greetings from Prague

Reviewed March 6, 2012

Have a great weekend to visit Prague in the heart of New Town 20 minutes walk from Wenceslas Square and Old Town Square where the Prague Orloj

Room Tip: Apartman 6 floor
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank peterjuricko
TomasLev, General Manager at Hotel Orion, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2012

Dear Mr.Juricko,
thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us at Hotel Orion. I am very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your trip.
Best regards.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hotel ORION in Prague with friends, over the New Year's holiday. It was the third time that I have stayed there -- consistently good. The staff are gracious and helpful and speak many languages, including English. The rooms or suites are very spacious, clean, and comfortable -- no extras and no luxury items -- but a great value for the dollar or the Euro. There is usually a kitchen and a coffee maker. The hotel is ideally located to public transit and within walking distance of the City Center if you wear comfortable shoes. One of my favorite restaurants in the city, IL GIARDINO, is right around the corner -- excellent homemade breads, food and ambiance. If you are one who seeks value, cleanliness and comfort -- and does not need all of the extras -- this is the hotel in Prague for you.

Shirley Ort, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, North Carolina

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
TomasLev, General Manager at Hotel Orion, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2012

Dear Shirley,
I am very pleased to read your positive review from your recent stay with us at Hotel Orion. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and your observations. I am delighted to read that you have been overall impressed with the quality of our hotel and service. We welcome you again at our hotel during your next visit.
Kind regards.