“Good value for money”

Golden City - Garni
Ranked #250 of 649 Hotels in Prague
“Good value for money”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Cheap, clean, decent service. Breakfast was good. Wi-fi worked. Close to city center and easy to get in and out on tram.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank t_w_s_d

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2012

On line the hotel is stated as being three star and looked o.k. so we were expecting something maybe like a Blackpool B&B. However I am sure it must have been given its star rating during the Soviet occupation. First impressions from the outside were a little shabby. On entering, still shabby and the foyer smelled of stale cigarrette smoke. This may not be too unusual though as smoking is still allowed in a lot of places in Prague. We arrived at around 11 am and although check in is from 2 pm the receptionist got us into our room in about ten minutes. Our room was at the front of the hotel and on the fourth floor in an attic area with two velux roof windows and therefore had a sloping ceiling which made the room quite a bit smaller and with a danger of banging your head (which my wife did). The rooms on the lower floors will not have this problem, so if you do go here make sure you ask for one. The room was very grubby and in need of decoration with very basic furniture with two beds one of which the mattress was in bad condition and very uncomfortable. The toilet/shower room was no better but always had a good supply of instant hot water. The towels that were supplied were rough and greyish in colour and well worn but clean. There is a fridge/mini bar in the room which is handy and priced cheaply. The breakfast room is in somewhat better condition, though definately nothing fancy. The fare is pretty eastern europe/continental, so do not expect a full English. It consists of a choice of cereals, yoghurts, breads, soup, hot dog type sausage, cheese, cold cuts of meat, jams, pickles etc. coffe and a really good variety of tea. Breakfast staff were very friendly and helpful. There is no bar in the hotel but soft drinks, water and beer can be bought from a fridge in the reception area. We found all the reception staff very friendly and helpful and spoke very good English and were very knowledgable - anything they didn`t know they would find out. Daily transport tickets can be bought from the reception. A really good tip from one of the staff was that if you intend to visit the castle area, take the number 9, which stops right outside the hotel, and then the number 22 tram to the other side of the castle then most of the walking will be down hill. Some of the paths up looked really long and steep. Though there are many trams passing all day up untill about midnight there was not much noise and did not cause us any problems. The hotel is on a main road with many local shops, restaurants and bars nearby-look off the main road area as well. There was never any sight of drunks or yobs around and the area felt safe. Also it is good to eat and drink where the locals go, away from the tourist areas. So, to sum up I suppose, it was dissapointing, but what can you expect for the price?

Room Tip: Make sure you do not have a room on the fourth floor with a sloping ceiling
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Realistics

Travelers are raving about these Prague hotels

Reviewed July 31, 2011

Let me atart by saying, my partner and i are doing a two month trip around Europe and by no means have high expectations as we are primarily staying in hostels but this place is beyond average.

The one and only good thing I'll say about our stay here is it's decent location, only 4 tram stops from the city centre. 2 to the main train station. That's where the decency ends.

Upon arrival we were met by a decent enough room considering the price.. The towels are circa WW2 was glad we had our own and the matress is like a pull out sofa style with not even a fitted sheet.

The hot water wouldn't work and after a very long journey to Czech it was the one and only thing I wanted/needed. Upon questioning the hotel manager he just stared at my boyfriend as if it wasn't his problem and there wasn't much more he could do. By this point my boyfriend also brought up that the safe wouldn't work again the managers response was less than adequate "is it imperative it's dine tonight because it's late" considering we didn't want to carry our passports around and not leave them just lying about I was more than pissed off by this point.

Safe to say, I'm still here night two of two and the water is out again and upon calling reception he's just told me it's impossible and our safe wasn't even looked at today.

Never again

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank jessicaleedoyle
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed July 8, 2011

The hotel looks pretty nice when you look it up online, but the heightened expectations are ruined as soon as you step through the door - the reception area looks grubby, as if fully transported from the era gone by. My girlfriend commented without hesitation: "This looks like a place you want to rent by the hour".
Unfortunately, the place did not benefit from closer investigation: the room we stayed in was simply dirty - the shoes stuck to the floor, the drapes looked like they had been hanging there since Vaclav Havel took over the rule of the country, the towels had been washed thousands of times and made you want to scream with every move of the fabric across your body, so harsh they were, the tap was loose, moving from side to side, and, to make things worse, the room faced a busy street with trams passing every ten minutes or so, even at night. Imagine the good night's sleep we had!
We complained the next morning and were shocked to hear this: "You have a lot of problems, this is a three star quality hotel, if you don't like it, you are free to move to another place"!!! Well, congratulations, management team, on selecting this member of staff! However, when we returned in the evening, most of out issues seemed to have been fixed.
I must comment on the breakfast, too. It is very, very basic, with bread, butter, frankfurters, some slimy cold cuts, hard cheeses, and pasta salad. No vegetables, no fruit, no eggs. Well, enjoy!
Altogether, this is one of the worst places we have ever stayed at. If this is a three star hotel, then the local tourist organization should promptly review its standards book!
If possible, avoid at all costs! Many other three star hotels are around - surely you'll find a better option.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are extremely noisy due to 24h tram traffic.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CudakLewek
Skovde, Sweden
Reviewed June 27, 2011

The only good thing about this hotel was location. Dirty rooms, towels were so hard that i couldn't use them, holes in bed linnen, dust everywere. Smoking was allowed in the corridor, but is smelled in our room as well. Breakfast.... well .. i couldn't force it in myself. Internet was free.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank mariarum
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2011

A group of 8 of us stayed here for two nights in April (our 3rd stay in 7 years). The hotel is basic but clean and the staff are very helpful - booking a transfer by minibus from the airport and back - seamless transfers, our driver was waiting for us in the terminal and arrived in good time for the return trip. The rooms are adequate for the price - clean bedding etc. We had a variety of twin / double rooms in varying sizes on different floors - we had the top floor with a view of the TV tower. The front rooms overlook the main street and can be noisy with the trams but not a major problem for us.

Breakfast is served on a buffet basis and there was always plenty of choice - tea and coffee made freshly and as much as you can drink.

The hotel is 4 stops from the main square (less than 10 mins) and a daily travel card is 100CK (£4) which covers tram, bus, metro, local trains and the funicular railway.

We found a couple of great restaurants in the area - Chinese and a Czech bot very good value and superb food - less than £20 for three course and wine/beer - much cheaper than eating in Prague Centre (£35 for 2 beers 1 tea and 3 coffees). The hotel recommended the Czech restaurant - Florentyna - location - out of the main hotel door turn right, cross the road and walk down past the church and it is on the next corner (next to the Victoria Hotel). Is is frequented by Czech locals (which is always a good sign) and sometimes very busy so you may need to book - especially on the weekends when there is also live music.

When we return to Prague we will stay in this hotel again - very good value for money, location.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank marshasu
West Sussex
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Given some of the previous comments, I was a bit wary about booking this hotel. I did so because I got a low price and I knew it was within easy reach of Prague City Centre so I wouldn’t have to spend too much time there if it was really bad!

I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised. It is not luxurious but for a “basic” hotel, it really does offer everything that you need. The only real downside is the towels they supply. They’re like sandpaper so bring your own!

I found my room to be extremely clean and it felt “bright and airy” rather than dark and forbidding. It was cleaned everyday and new towels etc were always provided. In addition, the beds were comfortable and the room was equipped with a fridge, a microwave and a free wall safe. Also, unlike several other hotels I’ve been in, the shaver point always worked and the shower always provided a consistent supply of good hot water at all hours.

One thing I was especially pleased about was the WiFi. A previous review said it wasn't working well but during my stay, I got a good connection all the time in my room which I found very useful.

The breakfast was fine. You don’t get anything cooked (except for some sausages) but you do get a good supply of cereal, orange juice, tea, coffee, yoghurt, cold meats etc. For some reason, the only thing that wasn’t great was the bread – wasn’t mouldy or anything but didn’t taste that nice.

As has been previously said, the hotel is located in a cheaper area of Prague. However, I never felt that I was in a “rough” or “unsafe” area. Yes, there is a sex shop opposite the hotel but I never saw anyone go into it or hang around it throughout my entire 9 day stay (everyone was going to the greengrocers opposite!).

The hotel is within very easy reach of the City Centre. There’s a tram stop right outside - hop onto a number 9 tram and you will be at Wenceslas Square within 10 minutes.

So, to sum up. If you want an upmarket luxurious hotel, go elsewhere. If however you want a good value “basic” hotel so you can explore Prague, this hotel will meet your needs.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo