“Sophisticated and Stylish”

Ranked #8 of 649 Hotels in Prague
cheshire
“Sophisticated and Stylish”
Reviewed May 19, 2010

For Prague, this is an unusual 5* hotel. Most reflect the baroque and roccoco splendour of this wonderfully romantic city. The Aria however is very contemporary, with modern decor but this doesn't detract from it being very stylish and in its own understated way the Aria achieves everything that a five star hotel should do and with great success.

We arrived at the hotel mid morning and were immediately shown to our room, The Dvorak Suite. The porter took time to show us everything in the suite and how to work the music system and all the other mod cons. The suite consisted of a living room with small kitchenette with hob, microwave and fridge, a computer with free wifi access ( something that should be standard in hotels but rarely is) and flat screen tv. The bedroom was huge with two large wardrobes, proper hangers, and a huge bed. Both rooms had views of the beautiful gardens. The bathroom was a good size with a large selection of Moulton Brown products including pillow spray, eye cream and lip balm. The only think I though unusual for a suite of this quality was the lack of a walk in shower, the shower was a large rain shower over the bath but still very powerful as was the hand shower.
I loved having the ipod in the room which is given to each guest and the selection of music will suit everyone.

The hotel arranged drivers and guides for us and all were excellent.

Breakfast is very good, with a large selection of fabulous breads and wheat free products, cheeses, cold meats, fruit and yogarts as well as smoked salmon and various meats. Guests can also order a fully cooked breakfast and this was excellent too. The only quibble with breakfast was there were never any cereal bowls put out, we had to ask for them each morning we were there, they arrived immediately but this was odd.
Due to the volcanic dust cloud we had to leave earlier than expected so missed our meal in the Coda restaurant which I was really upset about as the menu looked delicious and the restaurant was lovely.

We did eat at David's restaurant which is just up the road from the hotel and also Le Flambee, which is supposed to be the best restaurant in Prague - it was good but really not exceptional and in my opinion a bit passe, personally I would have prefered to eat at Coda in the hotel but it was not my choice.

I did have a massage and this was good although the room was a bit pokey. If the hotel lacks anything it is a spa to match all its other excellent facilities.

A weekend in Prague is not enough time to see this beautiful city - I do plan to return and as much as I like to try different hotels I would go back to the Aria. The location is perfect, a few minutes walk from the Charles Bridge, walking distance to the Prague Castle but in a a quiet street. I liked the fact the hotel is contemporary because there is so much opulance in the buildings of Prague, the hotel offers a calm and tranquil retreat from the splendour of this busy city.

We went to the Prague State Opera and saw Madame Butterfly which was excellent - there is so much music in Prage and art too - every street and square has a concert or art exhibtion so there is always something to see or do.

We had a sightseeing tour which was booked by Grande Touriste through the hotel. our guide was excellent and the tour was just at the right pace.

We had to check out in a hurry because we had to get back to the airport due to an earlier take off so I didn't check out bill. When I got back to the UK I noticed the hotel had charged us for limo services to and from the airport which had already been paid for. I contacted them and they said they would refund this and I am waiting for confirmation from them this has been done but apart from this error there is nothing to fault about this hotel at all - the staff super , willing to please and very professional. I look forward to returning in the near future.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank slj60

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Burlingame, California
Reviewed May 19, 2010

Everything about this hotel is good. The public areas are quite lovely . The food is delicious and the bar has the best selection of liquor that we saw in town. Room service is prompt. The location in Little Quarter is charming and the sights are close. It is a short walk to the castle and to Charles Bridge.

The musically themed rooms are delightful, but the biggest surprise
was an in room computer.

But what makes this hotel stand apart from any other hotel that we have stayed is the staff. They are genuinely warm, extremely helpful, and the concierges,Martina and Ivana, went above and beyond our expectations.

We are 72 and 73 and this was one of our best hotel experience in our travels.

Janice,
Burlingame, California

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed May 18, 2010

I stayed here for a week with my partner. The room was unusual for Prague hotels in the fact it is very contemporary but it made a change to return to after all the spectacular gothic and baroque architecture and opulance you see all around Prague.
Despite being unfussy the room was uber comfortable with a huge bed, three wardrobes, one in the hallway and two in the bedroom all with proper hangers, not the ones that hook onto a ring.
I was really impressed with the computer and free internet access, two televisions, one in the lounge and another in the bedroom.
The room overlooked the beautiful gardens and was therefore really quiet and peaceful.
Breakfast was excellent but they kept running out of cereal bowls and we had to keep reminding them of this - apart from that everything was really excellent.
Some reviews have commented that you pay extra for cooked breakfast, this didn't appear to be the case and the cooked breakfast was excellent.
Coda Restaurant is one of the best in Prague but David's just up the road, fork left from the American Embassy is superb.
Certainly deserving of being one of the best hotels in Europe, will definately return as the staff were lovely.
Excellent massage too - pity they don't have a spa

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed May 4, 2010

Everything about this place clicked for us. The location, the size of the hotel, the ambiance, and most particularly the service -- from the very accomodating reservations staff (we had to change our reservation length and they upgraded our room for the whole stay to make up for the increased cost of the last day) to the wonderful concierge to the dining room and bar staff and to the on-duty managers. All in all our stay at Aria was what made Prague so memorable!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank catgirl70
new jersey
Reviewed April 12, 2010

My teenaged daughter and i stayed at the Aria for a long girls' weekend - the package we had booked included airport transfers, (which worked out great), a City tour (we toured the Mala Strana and the Prague castle with Vladimir who was wonderful and a great deal of fun to be with), dinner at Coda (absolutely delicous with impeccable service) and a delicious full breakfast daily. I have nothing but positive things to say about the staff - especially the concierge who went our of her way to help us arrange fun and interesting things to do and shared many of her personal experiences witth us regarding the fall of Communism which was truly fascinating to talk about. The hotel is perfectly situated - close to the American Embassy and on what i would consider to be the quieter side of town - which you really appreciate after a long day of hustle and bustle. Much better location than Four Seasons which we also considered. Truly a lovely trip - I would go again in a minute!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank msmithNewJersey
Germany
Reviewed April 7, 2010

Business travel is at once frequent and not something I relish...unless my destination is Prague and my hotel is the Aria, my favorite lodging anywhere except home. I frequent decent places while on travel; however, none measure up to this little jewel in the heart of Prague. They are virtuosos from arrival to departure and every ‘note’ in between. Everything appears within walking distance and, if it rains, the hotel offers big umbrellas. I have only two complaints: first, I don’t get to Prague enough and next, when I am in Prague, my discretionary time is limited. My next visit will be on my own time and to be sure, at the Aria.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank TravelingTravis67
Ramat Gan, Israel
Reviewed April 4, 2010

I just got back from a wonderful 6 days in the romantic capital of the Czech Republic, Prague. I made reservations to the Aria Hotel via the web site, and ordered a Junior suite. I also made arrangements via the website for a limousine service to pick us up and drop us off at the airport. The charge for this is 52 Euros. we arrived at the airport at 9 am, and there was our driver with a sign and our name on it. All I can say is that It makes life that much easier. We arrived at 1000 at the hotel, and despite the early arrival (check in time for the hotel is usually at 1500) we were immediately given our room. The reception received us and gave us a quick tour of the hotel. She explained that the hotel is completely conceptualized around music and musicians and that we were given the Leonard Bernstien room AKA room no# 308. We were given two keys that look like old type immobilizers for cars in the shape of musical notes and also an ipod charged with hundreds of songs (you could probably not leave the room for days and not hear the same song twice). The room itself is on the 3rd floor, out of five, at the end of the corridor we found a lovely decorated room, with a flat screen and PC, enormous bed, huge bath room, with a double sink, walk in power shower and a separate huge bath tub. All of the amenities were lovely (according to my wife) and of top notch. Like many of the hotels around the world the Aria is also being green in a way that only towels you feel need to be washed are put in the bath, the rest are left for another day. The room was cleaned everyday and the turn down service was prompt and efficient.
Breakfast was a great experience. Every morning we were met with an extensive bar with salads, smoked salmon, cakes, fruit, pastries, cereal and well you get the idea. Fresh fruit juice and coffee were served at the table and then you could order a hot cocked breakfast a full English if that’s what you like, eggs any which way, french toast et al. In short a great way to start your walking days.
Coda is the in house restaurant. Top class, quite expensive but well worth the atmosphere and the tastes well, you have to taste it to believe it. I highly recommend you try this first class experience.
Problems – after the first night we woke up at around 8 in the morning at the sound of somebody hammering. When we went down to the lobby I mentioned it to the clerk whom gave me a very unsatisfied look. She said that there are small maintenance works going on throughout the hotel in order to prepare for the high season. She promised to look in to it and that was the last knocking we heard all week. So apart from the "sour puss" all was sorted out. Changing of the guard (between staff shifts) wasn't the most effective either. Due to our need for a late check out we spoke to one of the front desk girls whom promised us a temporary room from the last morning. The message didn't quite get across to the next shift, so she call to consult the clerk that gave us the promise, and indeed by the time we had finished breakfast our suitcases had been shifted to our new room (415 Paccini – deluxe room).
Service – while we did have some good experience with the service in the hotel we generally came away with a feeling that the service givers of the Czech Republic don't genuinely care much for how the punters feel. It’s a shame really because if they would have gone that extra mile it would have made our stay perfect.
Despite this, if you are looking for a boutique hotel in the high end of Prague, with romance, music, history and good food all around, I would definitely recommend Aria. The great location with restaurants, historical monuments and parks all in walking distance make this hotel the gem that it is. If I visit Prague again I would absolutely stay at the Aria Hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple