“Prague winter visit a success”

BEST WESTERN Hotel Pav
Ranked #207 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed January 2, 2011

I booked a 4 day winter visit pre-Christmas trip with the full intention of being a solo traveller to both photograph and explore a city I have never been to.

After much deliberation and review reading I elected for the Best Western chain as I use them on my too many business trips in the UK. I therefore expected to pay slightly more than the cheaper alternatives but for that I would get the "Best Western" branding and service I'm used to.

The Hotel Pav is deserved of its Best Western status. On arrival it was brighly lit, clean, welcoming and, thankfully, warm ! The temperature outside being well into the minuses !

My limit of Czech couldnt even pronounce the currency correctly....Koruna is pronounced Krown.

The staff spoke English and took great delight in that I had come to explore and take photographs. So not your typical "here for the beer" tourist !

I was checked in speedily and armed with my many freeby maps of Prague (issued courtesy of Holiday Taxis who I arranged my uplift and collection with) the staff began pointing out places of interest (Karluv Most, Prazsky hrad, Stare Mesto and Orlov) where to get the trams, and other out of the way monuments which are hard to find.

I used the clean and spacious lifts to my second floor room. I had asked for a double bed but got 2 singles instead, however, not a problem I am after all a solo traveller and at 45 yrs old I'm not really interested in hooking up and bringing people back to party until the wee small hours !

The room was long, high and clean with modern decor. It overlooked the street but this is a business side street so the noise was minimal ay night.

You have to request tea/coffee making equipment but its free. So too is the wi-fi just don't forget to ask for the password on check in.

I can't vouch for all the rooms but mine had a shower unit to whorship. Its red hot and powerful but great temperature control allows for even those most vulnerable to heat to stand under a powerful, welcoming and very refreshing shower in a bathroom that puts some hotel rooms sizes to shame. It was a large room with a window that fully opened to allow steam and other bathroom essentials out yet by opening out onto a private courtyard no-one peeped in !!

That the window opened at all is testimony that Czech Republic hasn't adopted all the stupid, unnecessary, safety dictum of the UK.

The bathroom had a power point not a shaving point. Again in the UK that would be a no go room but I welcomed being able to plug in my electrical razor.

Rooms heater by 2 good and safe convection heaters placed sensible and stragically by the windows.

Safety feature was the safe. Free to use. You choose your combination but always remember an engineer and staff have override codes ! I know because I had to get one to open it for me.

Still always adviseable to use the safe !

Prague comes with a pick-pocket warning and money cnahning scams warnings. Pick pockets operate on busy areas, trams, trains, buses and in markets.......yeah pretty much like the do in the UK.

Watch out for the decoy and guys if a pretty girl touches you up your luck has just run out ! Think !! Pretty girls do not come up to guys and grab bums, crotches and smile !! Your wallet has just been taken.

Spread the dosh out into various pockets. Take what you will need. 100 CZK is worth about £4. Keep notes to a low value. 100, 200 is best. Don't pay for a 50 CZK coffee with a 1000 CZK note ! Its common sense but believe me I saw it done !

Money change scam is a bit more slight of hand and decoy but it works something like this :

You will be approached on the street by a person wishing to exchange paper currency into lower value in exchange for his apparent high value.

What you think you get in a 500 CZK note for 5 x 100 CZK's but on close inspection you find it wasn't the 500 CZK note he showed you but insteag you get 500000 in some foreign currency probably not worth 50p. Again watch out. Think ! Would you open your bag, wallet, purse or root around in your pockets in the middle of the street to change your own money with a total stranger ? No ? Then don't do it abroad.

Buy a 24hr travel ticket (newsagents sell them) of a machine does by the tram stop (need coins as they don't have machines taking notes). Its 100CZK for 24hrs. So purchased 13:00hrs Monday it expires 12:59hrs Tuesday. Handy as its actually lasted 2 days !

All Prague. All transport.

Prague transport is extremely easy to use. Their underground is clean, fast and has only 3 colour coded lines. Check the end destination of the train and then you will know which direction its going in.

Top tip to save getting a coronary....Tram 22 climbs a very steep hill to the castle. The underground drops you off at the base of a very steep hill. Guess who got the underground up and tram down ? Yep, should have got tram up and walked down !!

Views over Prague are spectacular. Well worth being out of breath for !

The Karluv Most (Charles Bridge) is the focal point and like the castle is lit up at night. Take the time to cross it and soak up the street vendors, musicians and the security dressed oin olde worlde clothing of 12/13th Century.

December gives you the chance to experience cold, snow and Christmas ! Its wonderfully celebrated Czech style without the overkill and over-hype of western cultures. The Christmas Markets in Stare Mesto (Old Town) sell freshly baked food and souveniers however, round the corner is the real market selling food and typical market trader stuff at market trader prices which, for example, was 200 CZK less than the Christmas market souvenier trader. Shop around and explore. I saved nearly 300 CZK (£12) on a hat just by walking a couple of streets !

Food is abundant and prices are what anyone would expect from tourist city. However go slightly off the beaten track and visit the bars that the Czechs do and the prices will come down.

Near to Hotel Pav is U Kortby Matje which offers 10 - 15% discount for Pav Hotel residents on production of a flyer from the hotel bar, securuity or reception.

The food is top quality, the beer is Pils Urquell and the 2 young lads couldn't do enough ! Spoke English and were extremely friendly. Its interior decor is an attraction in itself. Old sewing machines, typewriters, clocks, piano, musical instruments, LP's infact its well retro kitsch in a lovely wooden decor manner.

Warm and welcoming. Open til 00:30hrs last food midnight !

I paid 350 CZK for a meat filled meal of pork, brackwurst, chicken, bacon and red/green cabbages, potatos and bacon dumplings. It was that big it was almost impossible to eat. Served in a huge metal dish like an A3 sheet of paper. Try it. Just don't expect to move much afterwards ! Highly recommended.

Gets busy ! Not suprising. Allows smoking. Get used to that as a lot of Czech places do.

Hotel Pav has a bar open from 11:00hrs til after midnight serving alcohol, fresh juices, cakes and coffee. Located by the bar is a free internet computer strictly on first come first served basis.

Breakfast is served realistic times from 07:30hrs til 10:30hrs. Yes, you are not expected to be a cock-a-doodle-do and be up before the chickens. Its included in the price and is very diverse.

Its strange to have cauliflower, broccoli, carrots with sausages and bacon at 9am but try it and suprisingly its good !

Hard boiled eggs, cold meats and cheeses, fresh fruit, yoghurt (try it and you will go back for seconds) laced with fruit or simple white yoghurt, local breads and cakes. Hot water for teas and coffee with hot or cold milks.

Eat until you burst.

A truly enjoyable experience and an excellent value, ideally situated hotel that I will be staying in again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank Jordirob

Reviewed December 17, 2010

Myself & girlfriend visited Prague to visit the xmas markets & see the old town, we arranged transfers from the airport to Hotel Pav via the hotels reception (who were very helpful), Our room was warm & inviting & overall very comfortable (though no tea-making facility), the staff were all very friendly & helpful, we will be visiting Prague again in the Summer & will definatley stay at Hotel Pav again, Mr M Argent

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2010

Stayed here for 4 nights, good value, clean rooms but the rudest service I've ever encountered. Their internet was "broken" the entire stay which made it inconvenient, and it is 2010. It should not be too hard to fix if they really cared about a customer's experience. The security guy seems to watch you as if you are a criminal and he constantly paces around the lobby area as if he is anxious. He asked me for my room key twice in 20 minutes to make sure I was a guest. Did he not remember me?? You are not allowed to bring coffee or breakfast back to your room. Also, you cannot sit in the lounge/bar area if you are waiting for a friend to show up to go out with WITHOUT paying for a drink. Seriously? Am I supposed to stay locked in my room?? This hotel makes you feel as you are a burden for staying with them and as if they are doing you a favor by letting you stay. I asked for Metro/Bus directions back to the airport and they said "CAB". Noooo.....I want the metro. "Don't have." was their response. A cab cost 749Kc and the metro cost 26Kc. Granted, the Metro takes longer, but some just want the experience and save a dollar or two. Rude! Rude! Rude! Rooms were clean and bathroom was great, but I would not stay there unless you want to be treated as if "they" are doing you a favor by "letting" you stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
PraguePav, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel Pav, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2010

Dear ladies, dear gentlemen, dear guest,
we are very sorry for the possibly caused inconveniences due to the fact the WI-FI internet was 3 days out of order. I would like to stress the point, the WI-FI access hasn't been working DUE TO THE TECHNICAL FAILURE CAUSED BY OUR INTERNET SUPPLIER.

We have informed all our clients about this fact, in case anybody would need any information, we have offered our help to print out the urgent information from internet directly at the hotel reception.

Concerning you additional negative remarks I am pretty sure, our staff can't have such a behaviour as has been descriped. At Best Western Hotel Pav working the proffesionals very well trained and educated, so I can hardly beleive something like that may happened.

Finally let me to thank you for your stay, I beleive we would have the opportunity to convince you about our professional services.

JAN STRNAD
Hotel Manager
BEST WESTERN HOTEL PAV PRAGUE

Reviewed November 30, 2010

We paid around £30 per night for a three night stay using lastminute.com and we weren't expecting much but were blown away by our experience at Hotel Pav.

Our room was recently refurbished, comfortable, spacious, clean and everything in good working order. Big comfy beds/pillows, nice bathroom with bath and plenty of towels. Hanging space in the wardrobe, small tv with full length mirror and space to hang your coats by the front door.

One PC with internet is available in the bar free of charge and though there is no mini-bar, hot and cold drinks from the bar can be delivered to your room.

Service was very friendly/helpful. When we asked for a taxi to the airport at the end of our stay, an upmarket car service arrived in less than 5 minutes for the same price as a taxi.

Location was great, only ten minute walk to the heart of Prague and plenty of 7-11 convenience stores, little bakeries, restaurants, bars and traditional 'inns' in very close proximity.

We rate this hotel 10 ot of 10 and would definitely stay there again. We tend to stick to 3-4* Best Westerns a lot when travelling around Europe and this is the best one we've stayed in.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2010

The hotel was super clean, the staff friendly and helpful and the breakfast buffet was the best! The twin room was a little small so make sure you are really comfortable with your travelling companion, but for the price I can't complain. I'll stay there again whenever i'm in Prague. The only thing was they forgot about my wake-up call, but seeing as I was on vacation it was no big deal.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 23, 2010

The hotel was walking distance to the Old Town, Charles Bridge, Metro station, etc. It was very easy to get places & back again. Breakfast buffet was well-stocked, plenty of variety -- ask for a hot chocolate as my travelling partner really enjoyed one each morning with her breakfast.
Room was a good size, lots of space for the two of us to "spread out". Having only 1 card key was a drag -- had to keep co-ordinating with each other as you need the card key for the elevator and to have the lights on in the room!
Service from the staff was fine; wireless internet in the room was no charge -- great! but service was better in the evening than in the morning?

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 29, 2010

We stayed here for 4 nights and were very pleased with the hotel. Our non-smoking room on the 5th floor was small but clean and very comfortable. The roof was pitched above the bed and there was a skylight with blinds to block the sun but unfortunately the windows didn't open so the room got stuffy during the day from lack of air circulation. We turned on the bathroom fan which helped to draw the heat out and once the sun went down the room cooled off. Could be pretty hot in the summer though. We were at the back of the hotel and the end of a hall so didn't have any problems with street noise. There is no carpet in the hotel, the rooms have wood laminate floors and the corridors are tiled so it gets a bit noisy when people are coming and going with suitcases and rolling in late after a night on the town. Avoid rooms adjacent to the elevators for this reason. This hotel was our first stop on a 3 week trip to Europe and without question provided the best breakfast buffet. Cereals, fruit, eggs, steamed mixed vegetables (which was unusual), meats, cheeses, yogourt, fresh breakfast cakes, assortment of fresh bread, juices, coffee, tea, milk and all you can eat. The location is good, hotel is a 15 minute walk from the Charles Bridge and there is a convenience store just around the corner for snacks, bottled water etc. There is a historic brewery/restaurant just up the street (Kremencova) however if you are a non-smoker you may want to pop in for a beer first before committing to eating dinner there. The food is traditional Czech and is pretty good but the cigarette smoke is thick as fog. We found that many restaurants/bars in Prague still allow smoking which is a real turnoff for non-smokers but the only negative we found in this breathtakingly beautiful city.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple