“Pav - legendary”

Ranked #201 of 670 Hotels in Prague
Bristol
“Pav - legendary”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2008

Just got back from the hotel Pav. Like most others in this review space I really liked the hotel. I'd recommend to allm to ask for 5th floor rooms in Summer, they have aircon ;-0.
Location was great with a top pub next door, come out of the hotel turn right. Great beer and lovely beer garden with entertainment. Next door to that was a Czech restaurant, great quality food and great beer again. A meal (mixed grill) for 6 with drinks was under £60.
For those who like the Amsterdam "way", come out of the hotel, turn left, left again and cross the road to Kenny's Bar.
All in all a great location, with all the options close by including walking trips to old town, Jewish Q, Charles bridge etc all in 10-15 mins

• Liked — All
  • Disliked — not a lot
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Parma, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2008

Hotel Pav is a very nice hotel, in the heart of Nove Mesto.
A very ggod place to stay in Prague

PROs
great and wide rooms, everything is clean and neat.
very good service, aexpecially at the desk,
very quiet neighborhood, you can have great sleeps (as I did:-), but also 2 good places to dance within 50 mts ! Nebe music cocktail in the same street (for 20 yrs old and up) and Solidni Nejistota in the parallel (for 25-30 yrs old and up) .

CONs
I would say it is just a little bit far from Stare Mesto
Prices are not so low

• Liked — Cleanliness, service, bars with music nearby
  • Disliked — price, location (actually both were quite alright)
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
Moscow, Russia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2008

There're so many nice hotels in Prague, and Pav is just a well-located and clean hotel. Sometimes that's enough, but only if there's nothing about the hotel that really catches the eye and gets on your nerves. I'll try to be objective, because I travel a lot and usually stay in 3 or 4 stars hotels.
1. So, I've read a lot of positive reviews of the hotel all saying that the hotel is great, location is great, breakfast is great, etc. But there's a small problem - some NOISE from the pub nearby, and the advice was simple: don't take a room with a street view. What can I say? This doesn't help. Screams and music are still heard from the pub, and besides you hear every voice from the street as if it's on your balcony, and from the next room or from the hall as if it's in your room. Window being closed helps with street sounds, but then you're making really a big choice: the noise or
2. the HEAT. It's really strange for a hotel called great to have no air-conditioner. The ventilation system is rather poor, and the ventilation in the bathroom is VERY loud.
3. Coming to BATHROOM... The shower was quite ok, but it's definitely not a "great" or "the best" shower. In overall the bathroom is clean, the towels are changed every or every two days, there's not enough face towels - but that's not a big deal. And then comes my question to you: how often do you take your own shampoo, shower gel to the hotel? I always take, but they usually stay in my bag. Here they didn't.
There's a liquid soap for hands, shower cap and vanity set (a few cotton disks and buds) and that's it. In the shower there was an empty container for shampoo (hand soap), so I can't even imagine the logics: do they believe I should rinse my hair and body, and then come out, use the soap and rush back?))
I'm not even saying about a separate shampoo and a separate shower gel, and try not to think about a hair-conditioner, body lotion, toothbrush and toothpaste, slippers, bathrobe, etc. You can say that it's not typical for a 3-star hotel, but I know a few 3-stars in Prague that offer almost all of the stuff above.
4. The ROOM. It's ok. The furniture is quiet modern. May be the bed is really too hard and pillows are too soft, but after walking for a daytime, it's not crucial. Bed-clothes are changed every too days which is nice. A better vacuum cleaning would be cool.
5. The BREAKFAST. Really poor. Even no fried eggs)) And it's the same every day: small sausages, fried bacon, which is not very tasty with boiled eggs or vegetables))
6. INTERNET. There're two PCs downstairs with a free of charge internet. Wi-Fi in the rooms is free of charge as well. That was really helpful.
7. The STAFF. I wouldn't call them very nice and helpful overall, although there were some people of this kind. But in general the impression is that they have a lot of clients, everything is ok for the hotel and they simply don't care. Just an example. I had a check-in in the night (about 12 PM - not that late). When booking the hotel, I've asked for a smoking room with a bath. And I would have chosen another hotel if it hadn't been confirmed. On arrival I repeated the request, and the guy at the reception said "Of course" while thrumming something (don't know a better word, he was just talking to himself and looked rather freaky). I got a key and came to the room (no escort), and the first thing I saw was a no-smoking table on the door, the second - the shower. I came down immediately and had to wait for ten minutes till the guy was awakened by a guardsman again. The answer was "It's the only room we have". Coming back to my room I realized that the window is key-closed and had to repeat the awakening procedure again to get the key.
The hotel is not that big in fact not to know the rooms with a key-closed terrace, but ok, all this could have been avoided, if the guy had just escorted me to the room, because I guess that it's not me, but he, who should run here and there and gets money for my comfort.
8. Although nothing awful happened, I've got doubts in the SAFETY of the hotel. Nobody takes a notice of who is entering the hotel. Formally there's a guardsman, but in fact nobody cares, when you enter.

Overall, I believe that the guys are too economical, which makes a hotel cheap, and they just don't care much about the clients, while there're hundreds of them. They're basking in the sun, and it shines for them because of a really good location. It's not difficult at all to make a better noise isolation, to add air- and hair- conditioners, etc., but they don't need it yet...

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, free of charge internet
  • Disliked — No air-conditioner, poor breakfast, soundproofing, no shampoo, shower gel, toothpaste, etc.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Friendsuasa
Bucks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2008

Just got back from 4 days in Prague staying at this very good hotel. The location is great for seeing all of the Old and New Town, just 10 easy minutes walk to the Old Town Square. it is also near the River and extremely convenient. The hotel itself is better than good with large airy rooms furnished in a minimilist/ modern fashion but extremely comfortable. Breakfast is excellent with lots of choice and bacon,eggs and sausage for those who want it. it really is a very good choice for staying in Prague.
Lots of pubs, bars and restaurants nearby because you won't want to walk far after a day walking round Prague! The best we found was the Restaurant Dynamo, Pstrossova 220/29, which was just around the corner from the hotel about 5 mins walk away. Also this area is cheaper to eat and drink in than the Old Town. Prague is not cheap any more for us poor Brits but you can still get a pint for about £1.50 if you try and a good meal for about £25/30 for 2. And do try the Cafe Slavia despite to comments as it is still worth a visit to sit overlooking the river and the food and drink was fine. Service was also good.

• Liked — Bedrooms
  • Disliked — No Air conditioning
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2008

My Aunt and I visited Prague and stayed at the Hotel Pav Feb.29th-March 8th, 2008. I was just looking through my memory album and it reminded me to write a review! The Hotel was just PERFECT for our travel style! We love walking everywhere and we like being out of the craziness of the city. We loved the Hotel Pav because it is a short distance from all the major attractions but is set in an area that doesn't feel really crowded with tourists! The Pub next door did get loud at night but with our window closed we didn't hear a thing. We were surrounded by several restaurants that felt like they were local favorites because we were typically the only tourists there. The hotel staff was so helpful....Boris even told us about his home town Karlovy Vary and we took his advice and took a 2 hour bus ride to the famous Spa town! We felt safe and well cared for at the Hotel Pav. Thank you for all you did for us and when we think of our trip to Prague we will always remember we stayed at a great hotel! I would stay there again for sure!

• Liked — Location!! Safe and clean! Great hot breakfast with lots of goodies!
  • Disliked — Request a room not in the front of the hotel if you do not like noise at night because of the Pub next door.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank WittyTravelers
EDINBURGH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2008

We have just returned from our second visit to the Hotel Pav this year we were there in February and liked it so much we returned in May with our Parents who are both in their 80's to celebarate their diamond wedding. The hotel is ideally situated within walking distance of all the major attractions, the hotel is very clean and the staff can not do enough for you. I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Prague and we will certainly return.

• Liked — cleanliness,location and the helpfulness of the staff
  • Disliked — no snacks available in the bar
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Tottington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2008

We have returned from a less than impressed 4 day trip to Prague. It was spoken about as being a wonderful and cosmopolitan, beautiful city. Yes, the architecture on every building is absolutely stunning. There are many many fantastic points of historical interest. Yes it is lively. But... The buildings are covered in graffiti,(Mostly just random tagging!) and many have been left to ruin, the sights of interest are not interesting to everyone, especially if you are not into churches or architecture. But mostly annoying was the lack of warmth and hospitality.
Luckily we met up with a friend of mine who had moved to prague a few years ago, and he showed us some great bars well away (at least 3 miles) from the "lively" centre.
The tips he gave us to help find the best places and to fit in with the locals did little to bring any joy to the sea of miserable people we came across. Saying that, it is a cultural thing that we may have taken a little too personally, but just be mindful of their interpretation of professional!
The hotel Pav was much better than expected, and was clean, tidy, well equipped, modern, and a great base for seeing the sights. I would 100% recommend this hotel for a short stay, and with a small budget. The hotel is next to a few good bars (i.e. U Fleku) and is still quiet at night. It is also very close to everything, as you can walk round the entire tourist walk in Prague in 2 hours.
Must do; The Castle, The Venicular tram up the park and walk back, The town hall square during a market season or concert, and most of all find at least one bar way out of the centre and put beer mats on your table and enjoy!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rude staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple