“Cold days in October”

Ranked #82 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Norway
“Cold days in October”
Reviewed March 12, 2006

My wife and I had for four days a pleasant stay at the Anna Hotel in october 2005. Very friendly and helpful staff in the reception.
And, the room itself were very basic. A double bed and two chairs. Satelite TV with the inevitable CNN. OK bathroom.
You may call it cosy, fair enough. Old fashioned with nice Prague pictures on the wall.
The temperature in October 2006 was about 5 - 10 degrees C. A little cold, and I caught a cold. To see the old town we had to walk for about 20 minutes from the hotel. Amazing architecture in the old market place. And from the Carls bridge up to the Castle we found some interesting shops selling art and crystal.
To return to the hotel, from the main street Vaslavske Namesti, we had to walk for about 25 minutes uphill with sensitive feet. But there are some restaurants close to the hotel.
All in all, a nice stay.

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank norwtrav

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bethesda, MD
Reviewed February 24, 2006

I recently spent 4 nights in Prague at the Anna hotel. It was an enjoyable stay. Not perfect, but enjoyable. I would stay here again, particularly given the affordable rates they offered (45 Euro per night) and the close-in location in a nice, quiet residential area.

Every staff member I interacted with, without exception, was incredibly friendly and helpful. I sent some laundry out to be done one day and there was a slight problem when it came back (I was missing all my socks and underwear!). This was resolved quickly and I had everything back in under an hour. The staff were able to suggest restaurants, and the hotel also operates its own reasonably priced taxi service to take you to the train station, hotel, or major sites if you don't want to rely on the metro. I also was able to leave my luggage at the front desk for several hours when I checked out the last day and wanted to spend time sightseeing before my train left.

The location is convenient - right off a tram stop and about 3 blocks from a metro line. Once on the metro it is 2-3 stations to the main tourist areas (Stare Mesto, castle, etc) The neighborhood around the hotel is mostly residential and fairly quiet, but it does have several shops where you can buy things at non-touristy prices (ex. I had forgotten to pack a hat and gloves, but was able to buy them at a store around the corner for 110 Kc-or about 4 Euro-for BOTH). There are also some charming small bars and restaurants in the neighborhood, just a short walk from the hotel.

The folks who run this hotel have another one, two blocks away, called the Claris. While I was staying at the Anna, their breakfast room was being renovated so we had to take breakfast at the Claris. I am sure some people would complain about that, but I personally thought it was sort of nice to get up every morning and take a short walk early in the day when few other people were out on the streets. The breakfast itself was good - it was the same every morning, but included cold meats and cheeses, pretty good coffee, great Czech bread, cereal, milk, juice, and yogurt. The one morning that I was there late (breakfast runs from 7:30 to 10:00), I was impressed that the staff continued to come and refill the breakfast bar right up to, and possibly even after, 10:00 as there were still people arriving when I left at 10:15. This is a nice contrast to some hotels which might put food out at 7:30, have a "when it's gone, it's gone" attitude, and have the entire breakfast room closed down by 9:55.

What did I NOT like? The room itself was clean, but sparsely furnished (nowhere to sit down and read - I just read in bed). The bed and pillow were, frankly, uncomfortable. I slept about 5 hours per night because I couldn't handle any more than that. I am not sure if the bed and pillow are mainly a European vs American thing, or if this hotel had especially uncomfortable ones.

Still, like I said, it was a good value for the price, and I'd go back here before spending significantly more to go somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2006