“Good location, good staff, good rooms, but...”
Review of Balbin Hotel

Balbin Hotel
Ranked #366 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed June 21, 2008

The hotel is situated next to Wenceslas square, too close to central railway station. You can hear (a little) trains in early morning. The room size is O.K. and the mattress is too comfortable. The staff is very friendly and helpfully. The breakfast was the same all three days of our stay - the same one sort of cheese, one sort of salami, one sort sort of cold meat. The same bread.

The cleanliness: the room was clean when we came in, but during our stay they only replaced the towels.

Bottom line - the hotel is good value for its position in Prague.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 17, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Pension Balbin because it was across the street from the flat where my sister lives. On our own, we may have preferred to stay in a more central location to the tourist sites. However, we did walk everywhere and occasionally took the metro or the tram. We were within three blocks of the National Museum, metro, tram and Wenceslas Square. When we arrived at the Balbin, they told us that they weren't expecting us and that we had cancelled our reservation by phone two days after I had confirmed it. They had one room for the night, but the following two nights, they were booked. Out of my bag came all the email confirmations and they gave us the room for that night. I spent the next 15 hours worrying that they would kick us out the following day. The next morning, the manager told my husband that it was their mistake and that we could stay. The room was large, clean and the bed was very comfortable. There were two large windows that opened up toward the sky. This pension is on the top floor so the windows are in the slanted roof. The Balbin website offered free transportation from the airport and I confirmed while making our reservation that they would provide transportation TO the airport instead of FROM the airport. When I asked for a taxi reservation the clerk tried to tell me that they wouldn't pay for it. After being persistent and telling the woman to check their records, they gave us the money for the taxi (about $30USD - I thought it was worth arguing about)
The room included a breakfast which was perfectly adequate and convenient. There was free internet in the lobby that we used once to check email.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank OregonForestgal
Reviewed January 25, 2007

We walked past the hotel at first as it occupies the top floor of a rather dull building.

The rooms are modern, spacious and cheap as chips. The breakfast is an eat as much as you like buffet of cold meats, cereal, fruit, yoghurt etc.

Oh, Wenceslas square is not a square at all but just a street with shops (so not as grand as it sounds)

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ClarxPye
Reviewed June 22, 2006

I stayed in the Pension Balbin with my boyfriend for 3 nights in April 2004. The outside appearance can be a bit daunting and the lift is incredibly small but the actual rooms are great. It is a real old style Prague building and it definitely gives you a feel of what Prague used to be like. The pension is situated near the top of the building. My room was large,very clean with a lovely bathroom. It was perfect for our needs. Breakfast was typically continental but had a wide range to choose from. Everything in the breakfast room was spotlessly clean. Tea and coffee were brought to your table and you helped yourself to the rest.

It is about a 5-10 walk to the top of the main square (which is not even a square!!!!!) where most of the "modern" pubs/bars are but it was a really good 20-30 mins walk down to the old town which we preferred however we taxied back most nights. Luckily for us in April the weather was incredibly hot which is apparently unusal at that time of year and we were able to sit and eat outside on all the nights we stayed there. If you want a fair priced accommodation that is clean, spacious and comfortable then stay here.

• Stayed: April 2004
6  Thank gaynor74
A TripAdvisor Member
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2005

I was extremely pleased with the Balbin, especially so as it was recommended to me and my friends by a travel agency in Prague. The rooms were spotlessly clean, neat and large; especially the four-bed room which can easily fit the stated number of people even if they bring an excess of baggage with them! The staff were very helpful and spoke good english. The location of the Balbin is also very handy, although the stairs going up to the Balbin are quite a hike so be wary if you would find this a problem.! Overall: Excellent value for money!

• Stayed: November 2004
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 14, 2004

Quiet hotel near to Wenceslas Square. The room was not very large, but neither was the price! Breakfast was included, and there was a private shower and toilet. The staff were quiet but helpful.

• Stayed: August 2004, traveled on business
4  Thank nealjking_njk
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 13, 2004

If you're looking for a nice hotel in the centre of Prague, then I would definately reccomend this one. There was not one thing that I could fault, the rooms are nice and spacious and really clean. The breakfast was lovely and you can choose from lots of different things. If you're on a budget and want to stay somewhere that is central to Wensleslas Sq and the Old Town, then stay here, you won't be dissapointed !

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member