“A Cosy, Great Value Hotel In The Heart of Prague”
Review of Hotel Venezia

Hotel Venezia
Ranked #263 of 364 Prague B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 25, 2014

My husband and I decided to visit Prague to celebrate 20 years together. He found Hotel Venezia on Booking.com, at a great price, so we booked a double room, for 3 nights.

We found the hotel easily, as it is only minutes away from the I.P. Pavlova metro station.

The reception area was large and warm, with several inviting looking leather armchairs.

The receptionist was friendly, and greeted us (thankfully) in English, and gave us the key to our room. From reviews on here we knew that the lift only went to the third floor, and our room was on the fourth, but that wasn’t a problem.
Our room was a double, which consisted of 2 single beds pushed together, again, not a problem, as long as they were clean and comfortable…and thankfully they were. The beds were made up neatly with fresh white bedding and soft duvets, and the pillows were large enough to be doubled over easily, if needed. There were spare blankets in the cupboard, but, as the room was warm, we never needed them.
Several crisp white towels were folded at the end of our beds, these were also in good clean condition, and a large enough size to wrap round you after showering.

The room had 2 bedside tables, each with a bedside lamp, and table and chair, a mirrored wardrobe with hangers and a drawer, and a small TV. We never managed to get the TV to work, but I am sure the staff would have changed it if we had asked…however; we hadn’t come to Prague to watch TV!
The room was plainly decorated…walls painted, not papered, with a couple of paintings on the walls.

The bedroom curtains are just light nets..not a problem in the winter, but the rooms will be bright in the summer quite early on

The bathroom was completely tiled, and fresh smelling, with plenty of toilet roll, and a full pump container of hand/body wash. There was a large mirror, with a spotlight bulb. Perfect for doing your make-up. Both toilet and shower were in good condition, and very clean.

It is worth noting that the bathroom did not have a solid door to shut it off from the bedroom, rather there was a concertina style divider. If privacy is an issue, I recommend having some music playing on your phone/tablet, which using the facilities!

(the notice in the bathroom stated that if you want your towels changed to leave them on the floor....if not, hang them on the rails provided. As we were only staying 3 nights, we didn't need ours changed)

While there were 2 toothbrush mugs in the bathroom, and 2 glasses in the bedroom, there was no tea/coffee/kettle provided, as is common in many European hotels.

We had packed a little travel kettle with cups and spoons, plus tea, coffee and powdered milk, and this did admirable for our morning/evening caffeine fix. We also brought along some of those porridge pots, as the hotel doesn't have a restaurant. There were signs saying a continental breakfast could be provided, but we never enquired further.

The beds were as comfy as they looked, and we slept well. We both took earplugs, although our room was at the top and back of the house, and was generally really quiet (apart from a yodelling drunk on the first night…not the hotels fault!)

We had piping hot water at all times, and the shower worked well, though the pressure dropped a little one morning…probably because there were several people showing in the hotel at the same time. The sink didn't have a plug…probably to avoid people flooding the bathroom by accident, but you could always take a travel one if you feel the need.

The room was tidied each day and toilet rolls were replaced as needed.

I would recommend taking a few travel adaptors with you, as, like in most hotels these aren't provided

Despite differing reviews on here the Hotel Venezia DOES have free Wi-Fi access…in the reception area. The receptionist gave us the password, and our phones/tablets picked it up easily. There are plenty of comfy seats in the reception area, and we would sit for a while and check our emails/Facebook.

The Hotel is only 10 minutes’ walk away from Wenceslas Square, and a few minutes from both the Metro and Tram stops. I would highly recommend getting the no.22 tram to Carmelita’s restaurant, for great value meals and pizzas…we went every night!

If you are like us, and on a budget, definitely find the local Albert’s, little supermarket, a bit like a small Asda/Tesco. They had lots of lovely fresh pastry’s, and ready-made baguettes, as well as essentials such as very cheap bottle water, toiletries etc.. Avoid the Mini marts, as they tended to be dirty, and 3 times the price! We bought our breakfast, lunch and snacks here, and just ate out at dinner time, and this saved our money for trips and treats.

On the last day we met the manager of the hotel, who was very friendly, and told him we had been very pleased with our stay, and would definitely be back next year.

Prague is a magnificent city, and after a long day walking and exploring, the Hotel Venezia was a pleasure to come back to relax and prepare for the next day’s adventures. I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Prague, especially on a budget…and I would say not to go by some of the photos on here…and indeed on the Hotels own website, as the hotel has been decorated since then, and looks much better!

Room Tip: A room at the top and back of the hotel will be quieter. If you have trouble with stairs, or have ve...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jo D
There are newer reviews for Hotel Venezia

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We booked a triple room and when we arrived hotel had overbooked and staff wanted my sister to stay in an office. Which had a camp bed! No wardrobe or en-suite. We had no hot water and staff were quite rude and unhelpful. Other people had to find alternative accommodation. Cannot recommend at all

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I've booked three nights in this hotel as the location and the services they said they provided suited me. When I've arrived this morning, the receptionist could not have been more rude. She offered me a room on the fourth floor where the lift doesn't go. I asked if it was possible to change and after insisting and reminding her of the size of my bag, she changed for one on the first floor. First she didn't specify the room, as it was on a 'flat'. I'm not happy with the service and even less with the service provided by the receptionist - she's definitely spoilt the start of my holidays. She's been rude and even raised her voice. I would never book a room here ever again and if I were you I wouldn't either - if you had a complaint they don't even have a complaint book!

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I spent 5 days (October 2013) at Venice Hotel with my boyfriend. We booked the room through Trip Advisor at 180 euro (36euro/night). To be honest I was a bit worried reading some reviews about this hotel. However, when I got there I was really satisfied.

We were staying at the 3rd floor. The room was quite big, clean and generally quite. Our window view was at a small backyard/garden at the back of the hotel. Shower had always hot water and room had a good central heating and was warm.

Ok some people might say that the decoration was a bit old fashioned but it seems that they are trying to redecorate it as some furniture look old and some are more new. But that is not something you should really bother about.

Its location is very good. Its just a few minutes walk to the National Museum and near Wenceslas Square in the old town. Also there are two nearby Metro stations (Pavlova & Muzeum). It is very easy from Muzeum station to get to the airport (take the green line to Dejvica station and from there you take bus 119 to the airport).

However, I have a few remarks.
First is that the matresses are so soft that you cannot turn on the side! But nothing serious to keep you awake. Some people might like it.
Thereafter, I would like the room to have a hairdryer. Even if I brought my own, plugs were a bit different than my country so I couldn't use it. But you can ask from the reception to borrow one. Just a personal view is that I would prefer the hotel management to spend their money buying a hairdryer for each room than offering a champagne as a 'Welcome present'.
Finally, a couple of mornings we were waken up by people who were laughing loudly and talking at the backyard. I am not sure if they were hotel staff but I seemed so as they were wearing a kind of uniform.

To finish with, if I revisit Prague, I would stay again at Venice Hotel. It is a clean, quite (in general) hotel in a very good location.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Martha1980
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Much better than expected from previous revues.Staff very friendly,rooms clean and veryconvienient for metro and popular tram routes.NO problems with noise.Only downside is that there is no coffee making facilities in the rooms.Lucky we always take a travel kettle.

Room Tip: look at the room photo's father than taking notice of what is said in the reviews
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BurnleyBill
Reviewed September 25, 2013

OK price and with an OK location close to center, but it is on a noisy street, so your sleep can be disturbed. At the price I was OK with the noise, But I don't think they clean the room: mold growing in bathroom and a carpet of dust on bed, so much that I got allergies, and I don't usually get dust allergies, so it goes to show how bad it was.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Jens U
Reviewed September 9, 2013

watch out!! if you have red hair or a beard, the janitor seemed to be weirdly obsessed with the guys in our group who had ginger hair or a beard. strange. odd noises kept most of us awake all night. thin walls= light sleepers struggling

• Stayed: September 2013