“Surprised traveller”

Ranked #23 of 651 Hotels in Prague
Surrey, UK
“Surprised traveller”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

As someone who has travelled widely and read many reviews, I felt it was now time to join the Tripadvisor community myself!!
Having recently returned from Prague on a 3 day holiday, I have nothing but praise for this Hotel and it's lovely staff.
I LOVED the location, the architecture, the service, everything!!
I must admit to being a little worried, having read so many wonderful reviews, that I might find myself disappointed. I did not need to worry!!
Having stayed in some great 5* Hotels, in London, Paris, New York, Moscow and beyond, my preference is always 'location, location, location'. Nosticova Alchymist does not disappoint!! It is prefect.
From our arrival, until the minute I left, I was treated superbly, and made to feel as though my business, my comfort and enjoyment, and me as a person, really mattered.
As a fairly tall man of 6'4" it is not always easy to be comfortable in Hotel bedrooms. The bed in my Junior Suite, the bathroom, everything was superb and I must admit to sleeping better than at home, which is a massive compliment. I loved the decorations in the Hotel and my room was very spacious, clean and individual.
The staff all made me and my wife feel really special and nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was delicious and a special request for different coffee was met with both a smile and a prompt 'yes, no problem'
The next time I am in Prague, I already know which Hotel, and even which room I will be staying in. Now all I need to do is find a good excuse to return!!
My thanks again to the lovely staff at this wonderful, small Hotel for giving us such great , happy memories. Very highly recommened.

Room Tip: If you can, go for a junior suite!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LucieNizka, Manager at Alchymist Nosticova Palace, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Jonny,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your amazing review! I am delighted that your stay with us was a great one and that you enjoyed the hotel‘s location, service, breakfasts and your room that much. I have passed your kind words to all the team who really do appreciate your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Please feel free to contact me at any time to assist with any further booking with our hotel!

Warm regards,
Lucie and colleagues

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
usa
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a wonderful place, surfounded by architectural beauty and very good restaurants. Near the Vltava and Charle's bridge. Nothing beats that. We stayed in one of the junior suites. Overall, it is a charming small hotel, with very nice staff. but it lacks genuine luxury, and several things were poorly thought through. Our bed was not very comfortable, I often woke up with a back pain. The robes and slippers were far too small for a big man, the lady receptionist did not or could not get a more suitable size. The room was clean but i could see vacuum-worthy objects on the floor by just slightly moving the table. And the table and chairs were so placed that they were unusable. The bathroom was nice, but one could not take a shower without spashing water all over the floor. Perhaps the worst of all was their breakdfast --- the most limited and monotonous menu we have ever seen in Europe. The coffee had to be served by waitresses, and they never seemed to remember to replenish empty cups, and the coffee never was hot enough. Why not put a hot coffee pot on each table instead? And there was an annoying gimmick with coupons for free drinks. The idea looked cheap to begin with, and the restaurant did not seem to be too happy to honor the coupons, nor were they sure how to. The first time they said they would serve us some snacks with the drinks, but it took them so long, we had to leave. At the end of our stay, even after we gave them several unused coupons, the server brought us a small glass of beer, and in response to my question claimed they did not have larger glasses. Reluctantly, she then brought me another small glass of beer. They should either behave more generous, or abandon the gimmick altogether. The hotel is in a quiet place, but the cars occasionally passing are well audible. And they had a very loud Russian wedding in their restaurant for several hours, which was very disturbing. I would like to recommend this place, but hope they can improve in several small ways. Then the place would be perfect.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank travelreluctant
LucieNizka, Manager at Alchymist Nosticova Palace, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Sir,

I do very much appreciate the time that you have taken to share such a detailed comments with us.

It was great to hear that you liked the hotel’s location and our staff. At the same time we are very sorry to hear that on some occasions you did not feel very comfortable. We found some of your comments objective and a matter to be improved as soon as possible.

Thank you once again and we still hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon again.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2013

From start to finish, we felt treated like royalty in our 6-night stay at this hotel.

The location is superb, in the quiet, beautiful neighbourhood of Mala Strana, just a 5 minute walk to the Charles Bridge. It is walking distance to just about everywhere. The two places we wanted to visit that were too far to walk were easily accessible by the tram, which is a 2-minute walk from the hotel. We appreciated being able to leave the craziness of the old city, jam-packed with tourists, walk across the bridge and suddenly enter a very different world. And there are lots of very nice small restaurants nearby. The location was wonderful.

And the hotel is lovely! Our room was on the top floor, with a beautiful view of the Prague Castle. It had a vaulted ceiling, was bright and spacious with a very comfortable bed and bedding. All the furnishings were charming, thoughtfully chosen and arranged, and everything was spotlessly clean. Nice, spacious and bright bathroom, too! The room was very quiet -- the street has really no traffic on it, and we were never bothered by noise. There was always complementary bottled water in the room, provided at no charge, which we very much appreciated.

But above all, what made the hotel so wonderful was the staff and service. We opted to be picked up at the airport by the hotel car, which was great. (The hotel had kindly emailed us various options, including cheaper ways to get to the hotel. We decided jetlag justified the small premium to be picked up,) When we arrived, we were offered glasses of sparkling wine in the garden, just across the narrow cobblestone street from the hotel entrance. What a wonderful way to begin our holiday! The garden is beautiful! Every morning we chose our breakfast from the buffet (excellent assortment including cheeses, meats, eggs, fruit, and the best homemade yoghourt I have ever tasted). Then we took it across to the garden, where we were served pots of fresh coffee. A wonderful way to begin every day!

Back to the exceptional service: We asked about music in Prague. Zuzanna at the desk researched it and gave us a 6-page printout of concerts during our stay. When we wanted to go to the Prague Castle, the wonderful young woman at the desk suggested a route, highlighting things we might want to see along the way, including where she likes to go to eat when she does that walk. Tours to sites outside the city, a great jazz boat dinner trip on the river we did on our last night -- everyone was happy to help with suggestions and make things easy and enjoyable for us. Small touches, like homemade chocolates on our bed every night (and a box of them when we checked out), to more sparkling wine in the garden when they discovered it was my husband's birthday. All the staff were so welcoming, and went out of their way to be helpful.

Prague is a beautiful, incredibly interesting city to visit, and this was absolutely the perfect base from which to do that. We loved our stay there, and absolutely recommend it without any hesitation.

1 Thank OttawaCouple78
LucieNizka, Manager at Alchymist Nosticova Palace, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Mrs. Kagedan,

there can be hardly a better moment at our work than opening the tripadvisor site and finding comments like this. I would like to thank you on behalf of all the team for taking the time to write such a lovely review, we appreciate it so much. I‘m delighted to hear that you loved our hotel and our magical city overall and that we had the possibility to be a significant part of your trip. It’s also great to hear that your husband enjoyed his birthday with us. Please feel free to contact me at any time to assist with any further booking with our hotel. All the team miss you and I would be very happy to look after you one day in future as well.

Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed July 25, 2013

All the prior reviews are absolutely true ! This boutique hotel is located on a wonderfully quiet street in lesser town just minutes from kampa park and the charles bridge with the castle district an easy walk away. The Vltava river is 3 minutes away for a stroll by the waterfront ! From the hotel driver that met us at the airport to the personal reception when we arrived we felt like we were treated like royalty. The hotel is like a mini villa with classic european decor , richly appointed rooms with every corner fo the hotel filled with tapestry / artwork / mirrors and collectables. The property is immaculate and has a comfortable relaxed atmosphere. The breakfast buffet is a great way to start the day with a wide selection including pastries, cereals. a variety of juices and made to order eggs. The rooms are spacious and each is named and decorated individually. We were in the Karljsten suite on the third floor with beautiful bedspreads / vaulted ceiling and sitting area. Compeletely quiet at night - essentially no cars ever go down the small roads around the hotel.
The famous 22 tram is right down the street which can take you all around the city but walking is the way to really get to know this amazing place. This hotel is highly recommended - you will regret leaving it when the vacation is over - don't spend alot of time searching all the other options - this alchymist property exceeded our expectations !

Room Tip: All the rooms are unique
1 Thank wkup
Dear Madam, Sir,

I would like to thank you for taking time and post this fantastic review and beautiful pictures on Tripadvisor. Your comments about the perfect location, hotel decor, room and the breakfast made all my team really happy. I think there is no better reward than hearing that our guests felt like a royalty. It will be a great pleasure for all of us to welcome you back at Alchymist Nosticova Palace soon.

With kindest regards,
Denver
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised when we found the beautiful and quiet Alchymist Nosticova Palace, after experiencing a few very noisy hotels. Our upgraded room was magnificently beautiful with painted, vaulted ceiling. Location is excellent for quiet yet within easy walking distance of the Charles Bridge. Guests have access to health club at sister hotel about a 10 minute walk which was small but adequate.

Dear Madam, Sir,

Thank you for your review and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. The hotel‘s location is truly great and I’m happy to hear that it was to your liking and you enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere of our neighbourhood so much. I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in a near future.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The hotel has privileged localization and the staff is friendly and helpful. The deluxe room (Alžběta Pomořanská) I stayed is truly fantastic, it has spacious bathroom with the corner bath and sophisticated decoration. Generally speaking the facilities are excellent and there are always some special attractions for the guests, I had the opportunity to participate in their cheese and wine tasting. The breakfast is not really diversified, though the food served has good quality.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Madam, Sir,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted that your stay with us was a memorable one and that you enjoyed our location, hotel service and your room that much. I have passed your kind words to all the team who really do appreciate your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are HUGE! There is an old world elegance that envelops you upon arrival. While you are in a quite part of the Old Town you are a few minutes walk to the Charles Bridge. Breakfast each morning is included. The hotel is spotless and staff could not have been nicer. They ran out to get cough syrup for our son and provided written translated instructions for us.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Betsy B
LucieNizka, Manager at Alchymist Nosticova Palace, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Madam, Sir,
I'm very grateful for all your kind words posted on your recent stay with us. It was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the hotel's unique atmosphere and its location. I'm also happy that my staff provided a perfect service to make your stay the most comfortable one.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back in a near future.