“Memorable for all the right reasons!”

Vintage Design Hotel Sax
Ranked #154 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Melbourne AU
“Memorable for all the right reasons!”
Reviewed August 8, 2009

From the moment you walk in the front door - you know this is one unique hotel! In a city so full of historic architecture, it's almost a breath of fresh air to be surrounded by funky, colourful style that oozes from every corner. This hotel is fun but wait, there's more...

The service is great - friendly, prompt and professional. Little extras like a free afternoon tea also add to the experience. The room we had was clean and well designed. Great bathroom products. Excellent flat-screen tv and DVD player with access to 2000 dvd's! Free, fast internet and a yummy, personal-service breakfast round it all off.

If you want a compact, unpretentious hotel in the centre of Prague (in a quiet spot but not far from the crowds) - you can't go wrong. Can't wait to stay here again...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Vestavia Hills, Alabama
Reviewed July 24, 2009

I stayed here with a friend for four days. I had a wonderful stay. My reception was warm, informally professional and friendly. All my interactions with the front desk were great. Any minor problems were language issues that were easily overcome. My only very minor negative comment was that when I asked for recommendations for entertainment, tours, and dining... we had two strikes and only one homerun. I would research these things on my own in the future. I think this is because its a relatively 'young' hotel and it will take time for the employees who seemed a little green at times to learn what visitors are looking for. I needed wireless access and was given the hotel code at no charge. With that said, Breakfast was a wonderful organic treat and plentiful each morning. Evening cocktails and light snacks was welcome after a long day. I read others comments about them being stingy with the wine and I definitely didn't have that experience. I'd be sitting there while they were closing up and they'd always ask if I wanted anything else before they left. I found the rooms to be very comfortable and spacious. The laptop in the room is a great idea and it left me wondering why more hotels don't do this. The climate control in the room worked great. The room was well air conditioned on a hot day. I do agree with someone's comment about the tub being a little high and caution is needed especially when getting out. Someone unsteady on their feet may not do well with this.There were comfy spacious robes to get into after a shower. The water pressure was great. I had a wonderful massage. I did not use the complimentary one hour hot tub. The neighborhood is near the American Embassy and very safe. Our driver from the airport told us this as well. You feel quite secure with the police officers who watch over the embassy all around. I don't want to be in the middle of things and prefer a quiet place to sleep at night and this fit the bill. It would take us less than 10 minutes to walk to the Charles Bridge. We could be in the square with the astronomical clock in 15 minutes. I would definitely stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Almond66
new york
Reviewed July 23, 2009

I love sixties design so I was definitely pleased with the Sax's decor. I enjoyed my stay, but did have a couple complaints.

Location: the Sax is in a quiet part of town, right near a couple embassies. I enjoyed being a distance from the Charles Bridge and the main drag due to how many tourists there were, but if you like being in the center of it all, this may be too secluded. that said, it is a pretty quick walk to get to the main drag.
Room: we liked the design, but it could have been a bit bigger. we felt like we might have gotten one of the smaller rooms in the hotel. the room came with a laptop and high speed internet which was a nice surprise. the biggest issue I had with the room was the bathroom. the tub was really high and really narrow. the tub would not be safe for someone who is unsteady or prone to accidents. not sure why it's so high--i think they were going for form over function. The shower curtain was moldy which was disappointing since those are very cheap to replace. other than the shower curtain, I felt that the bathroom and room were clean.
Breakfast: came included with the room and consisted of a very nice spread of cereals, fruits, cheeses, meats as well as a full menu with hot food. I loved the way the dining area looked and the staff who served breakfast were very friendly.
Staff: I was surprised by how unwelcoming the staff at the desk were. when i arrived, they didnt welcome me to Prague or anything like that. They just took my ID and payment info and sent me up to our room. I only asked for directional help once and the woman was not very nice or helpful. I think the staff (outside of those who serve breakfast) are the low point of the hotel. Do not expect a warm welcome.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed July 10, 2009

I am spending my last night of four here at the Sax, and must say I am impressed of the great value of this hotel. 4 nights in a suite for 520 EUR stuffed with design icons and with service I have not seen anywhere else. The breakfast was top notch and the afternoon tea (included) is a great idea.

We tried the small "spa" - and this was maybe not the highest end; the massage was ok, but the small spa was tucked away behind the kitchen (!) and didnt provide a luxurious feeling. It was however fairly priced - and having a jacuzzi and sauna to ourselves is a nice treat for a couple.

And providing this laptop with free internet access is a perfect example of the lengths they go to at this hotel...

Finally: the location was brilliant, placed in a quiet embassy area - just off the worst tourist traps, but still close to everything worth seeing in Prague.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Sweden
Reviewed July 5, 2009

This is the niciest hotel we have ever stayed in! If you like design this is just outstanding! If you like good service it's also outstanding! Good rooms with a laptop in each of them. Very nice breakfast and the afternoon the is a real nice surprice :-). Thanks for a very good honeymoon journey!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Stockholm
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Design Hotel Sax is extremely charming. It might not be the most luxurious hotel I have ever been to, but it is definitely the hotel with most charm and character. The rooms were clean, included an aircon, had huge beautiful windows and a flat-screen TV.

We had a basic package which included:
- Wonderful breakfast with cheese, bread, and a meny from which we could order omelettes, panncakes, etc, which was included in the breakfast.
- Afternoon tea with coffee, tea, wine, beer, cakes etc.
- Laptop with free internet access in the room. This was really appreciated since we looked up museums, restaurants and other stuff each morning.

The staff was awesome and very friendly. The hotel is a few steps away from the main road in Lesser Town (Mala Strana) and just a 5-10 minute walk to the main bride that takes you over to the Old Town.

There were plenty of restaurants, cafés and shops around the hotel. The hotel was easy to find and the atmosphere was perfect.

This is one of the best hotels I have evern been to and if I ever go back to Prague (which I probably will in the near future since I really loved the city), I will most definitely stay at Design Hotel Sax again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
ireland
Reviewed June 9, 2009

Myself and my wife stayed here for a long weekend away, we found the style and the look of the hotel fantastic as other people have said but i had a few negatives about the place which i have to share.
My main one is the bar area and the bar staff, firstly its rarely open and there's no atmosphere in there at all, it feels like your in a library. We came back for the complimentary tea-time drinks and when my wife went for a second glass of wine the barman pulled a moody face, he looked like he was going to throw her out! (we would have gladly paid for a second one if it was the case) and this particular barman needs a lesson on how to smile.
They have wallpaper in the bathroom which is peeling off due to the moisture in the air.
The rest of the staff were friendly but the atmosphere is way too professional for my liking, i really liked our room and the hotel is very cool but the staffs atitude doesn't go with the look of the hotel, which is laid back and fun.
You'll love the retro feel of the place but i'd doubt i'd go back after experiencing it once as i just didn't feel that well looked after for what i had paid.
Oh and by the way whats with the two single matresses on a double bed?

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple