“Cheap two star hotel”
Review of Fortuna City

Fortuna City
Ranked #572 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Hotel is two train stops+ 20 minutes subway ride from the city centre. Overall the hotel is poor, no shampoo in the room(that is not included in the price!!!), bathroom is bellow average, the breakfast is ok. Small tv in the room with only three or four tv channels.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Animalvoice

Reviewed May 1, 2012

I last visited Prague 35 years ago and didn't have a plug the sink then! We were moved to this hotel from the sister Fortuna West and it is nearer to town with tram outside and Metro a walk away but you get what you pay for, really. The room was large but basic, with no hairdryer. The leaflet said 'Some rooms have....hairdryers, trouser press etc' - but our's didn't. We paid a deposit for a dryer which we got back at the end. One of the receptionists was rather rude at times - she would 'tell you off' for not showing your room card to get your key and smiling was optional. I felt she didn't like us. Breakfasts were variable - groups were endemic, and sometimes a full plate of cakes put out were gone in minutes. The second night I couldn't sleep as a large group of Italian students kept knocking on doors and shouting loudly to each other in the early hours. One night the free internet was not available in the lobby, and another the handy tram/bus ticket dispenser in the hotel was out of order and we were told to get a ticket from the Mart opposite. Once there we found they didn't sell the best value 24 hour ticket. Duff information. What was good? TV was old, small but worked. Shower head slide was broken but hot water and pressure were both fine. The room and linen were fresh and clean. Some staff were pleasant and helpful. Given more investment, this could become the equivalent of a good Travelodge. But not yet.

Room Tip: Didn't have swimming pool or fitness centre. We were on the 8th floor which seemed quieter than...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mrs C
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I spent my new year's holidays in this hotel. I stayed there for three nights. The hotel is far from the Prague city. Food wasn't as good as I expected. The staff is ok. Rooms are small, I have a view to the next block. There was no hair drier in a room. Around a hotel is no restaurants (except McDonalds) or nice bars. There is only one bar, but very unattractive.
I wouldn't come back.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
DeskManagerCity, Manager at Fortuna City, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2012

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for spending your time and giving us feedback about your stay at Hotel Fortuna City.
I would just like to clarify some details you mentioned - our hotel is situated 15 mins by tram from downtown of Prague (National Museum, Wenceslas Square) and there is a metro station Strasnicka (line A) in walking distance from our hotel as well.
Hairdryer is available in several rooms or at the reception desk free of charge at your disposial.
Regarding to restaurants and bars around the hotel - there are several bars and pubs on site, as well as at the big shopping mall Flora in less then 5 mins by tram.
I am very sorry to learn that your visit did not live up to your expectations and as well at the restaurant didnt provide expected services.
Thank you once again for your opinion.
Believe us, we constantly trying to improve our services to the full satisfaction of our customers.
With best regards
Petr Chmelar - hotel manager

Reviewed January 8, 2012

We picked this hotel for our stay in Prague for one night mainly because of the price and the possibility of guest parking. Even though it looks normal enough, on the inside there is a different story. Firstly there was a problem with my reservation made with booking.com - the deal was unrefundable and I had to pay immediately and the hotel debited my card after the reservation was made. However the receptionist was unaware of such procedure and I had to forward her my booking.com reservation from the ancient computer at the reception, your only gateway to the internet in this place. No wifi whatsoever. The rooms were allright, the sleep was pleasant. However it was quite evident the building used to be either some big flat or a dormitory, because even though the rooms were renovated (we're talking early 90s here), the corridors look impossibly cheap, old and tacky. You just wondered where the hell have you come. The drinks at the bar are overpriced, especially the cocktails that have nothing to do with a normal barmans craftsmanship. However the worst experience ever was the breakfast - cheap cold food in a crammed dining area with not very interested staff. My god, avoid at all costs. This hotel is only in business thanks to unassuming visitors and large tourist groups coming to see Prague.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel altogether...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tinde_K
Reviewed December 15, 2011

A reasonably cheap hotel (some 50 € per night breakfast inclusive) outside the Prague tourist centre. Little bit old style and apparently a place for school trips and students. Rooms are clean but basic. The carpet in the corridors is rather dirty and very old fashion. Time to be replaced by a material easier to clean. When asking where to have some food late in the evening, I was directed to the hotel restaurant as reportedly there were no restaurants in close neighbourhood. The typical Czech duck with cabbage and dumplings was rather dry and too salty. It looked like an industrial precooked and reheated stuff. There were at least five open restaurants within less then a kilometre distance, some 25 % cheaper. But I understand the hotel staff makes some lobbying for the hotel cook :-). The breakfast was very classical, with some tasteless sausages but the horse radish was available... The hotel is located at 10 minutes walk from an underground station and there is a tram stop at about 200m. Easy to reach the Prague centre...

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Martin P
Reviewed September 28, 2011

The tram stops right in front of the hotel which is convenient. However, the neighborhood is not great. The hotel looks nothing like it does in the professional pictures. Breakfast was good and there is free wi-fi in the lobby. Rooms were fine, you get what you pay for. Not great, but not unpleasant either.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank janet r
DeskManagerCity, Front Office Manager at Fortuna City, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2011

Dear Janet,
thank you very much for sharing your review of Hotel Fortuna City on TripAdvisor.
I appreciate your short comments regarding the hotel.
We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and to ensuring your next holiday with us will be even better.

Petr Königsmark
Front Office Manager

Reviewed August 29, 2011

I stayed in this hotel with a group of people. The staff is not very interested in clients, restaurant is very average...every day more or less the same food, waiters do not approach to your table to get orders for the drinks, rooms are spacious but unclean. Avoid.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank roker16
DeskManagerCity, General Manager at Fortuna City, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2011

Dear Sir/Madam,
thank you very much for spending your time and sharing with other travellers as well as us your opinion on the product & services provided during your stay at Hotel Fortuna City.

I am personally very disturbed by your comments and would appreciate to receive any additional information you may wish to send to me directly: petr.chmelar@fortunahotels.cz

Please accept our apologies and be assured that we at all times do our best to constantly improve our services.

Thank you.