“As characterful as Prague itself”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel U Prince

Hotel U Prince
Ranked #81 of 670 Hotels in Prague
England
“As characterful as Prague itself”
Reviewed May 16, 2012

U Prince is far from being a hotel along the lines of the Hilton or any homogenised hotel chain. What it does have is a distinctive character. I wouldn't call it unique in Prague but it is one of the most entertaining and beautiful hotels in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Its location cannot be bettered. It is exactly across from the astronomical clock in the centre of Prague. The clock must be less than 15 meters away from the hotel. The old town square (Staometskaya I believe, but forgive my spelling) is just off to the right of the hotel door, and is no more than 30 meters.(Incidentally if you look off to the left you will see the house where Franz Kafka lived during his childhood) If one is not familiar with Prague, the Old Town Square is quite different from the bright lights and red lights for which Prague is associated. The old town square has the horse carriages lined up for trips and the square is lined with bars, museums, shops and restaurants. This area of Prague is fulled with music. Classical music concerts, jazz bars and blues clubs are running from the early afternoon until late at night. For me its close to paradise.

The hotel rooms are astounding. The room I stayed in was huge, and I mean huge. It was a suite type, modernised but with all the charm of a gothic castle.

The bar often has a live jazz band playing. The bar is always busy and the cocktails are of the finest kind, and they dont skimp on the proportions either. Be very careful about ordering one as they are about twice the size of the ones I am accustomed to in London.

I have not eaten in U Prince as one of the best restaurants in the world is very close to the hotel, but the food I have seen presented is of high quality and efficiently served.

As for beer, Czechs do it better than anyone, and there are some beer halls close by which serve beer better then U Prince, the beer in the hotel is going to be of an extremely high standard.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the clock
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kristiansand, Norway
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Visited Prague this february with 4 friends. Had a nice experience at this hotel in the main centre of town. It`s a bit cold enjoying a beer on the roof top in the start of february but norwegians can manage. My room was very big, had a view straight down to the clock on the big square in the Old Town. Big nice beds, clean rooms and free internet. The breakfast was good. All in all a very good experience.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms with a view against the bell tower. There is a big difference in the size of the r...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Bellmore, New York
Reviewed May 15, 2012

When he came back with the bottle he asked where we were from. We said "New York". He rolled his eyes again &turned his back toward us. Didn't say a word! We even tried to lighten the mood so my husband said "Nice weather, isnt it?",the waiter said,"nice for you, not nice for me when I have to work!" We can't even talk about the weather peacefully! At that point, my husband and I said there is no way in hell we are tipping this man! Other nasty comments were said by him throughout the meal and I just ignored him at that point. I saw him being rude to the table next to us as well.Finally,our bill came,there was a random cover charge on it and a 10% tip was added for us! We asked about the cover charge and they told us it was for the bread... I told them we didn't even get bread and they took it off of the bill... but we did end up having the pay the tip which we decided not to dispute...JUST A WARNING FOR ALL... if you dont want to pay a cover.. dont get the bread.O yea.. and our food was good but small portions.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jen t
Wokingham
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the U Prince. We had a very nice room on the 3rd floor with a very interesting celing, I've not seen anything like it before. The room was large, as was the bathroom, although a little dark as both windows didnt give much light as opened out on to the centre of the building. Being in the Old Town Square I thought it might be a bit noisey, knowing how busy prague is, but that wanst the case as we didnt hear a sound. The reception staff were excellent when we checked in we were given a voucher for a glass of sparkling wine which we drank on the roof terrace. The roof terrace was impressive, so we booked dinner for the following evening. The food, wine and service were very good, as were the waiters as I wanted to change the menu slightly and nothing was too much trouble. We enjoyed the evening and view as the sun went down. Breakfast in the main restaurant overlooking the square was also lovely. One slight problem is driving to the hotel. You are not able to drive near the old town, therefore when you arrive you are stopped by police and fined!! I went in to the hotel and asked the man on reception for help and he came out with a permit to enable us to park outside the front, sorted out the police, then took the car and parked it for us, so if you plan to drive, call the hotel first and dont entre old town square until the man witht he permit arrives!! All exciting stuff!!

Room Tip: I think all rooms are large, however if you want more light then ask for a room with windows facing...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dumbarton
Reviewed April 11, 2012

really good hotel very central right on the square.I booked a junior suite room and it was lovely Breakfast didnt have a great selection but was more than adequate.the staff are all very friendly and helpful. I needed to find an english speaking doctor and they were very helpful both reception and concierge staff. I was in room 11 and it was a bit noisy during the night both with revellers and the clock but given that it was overlooking the square cant really complain. Apart from breakfast I didnt eat at the hotel but the drink prices in the bar and the minibar were very reasonable. I would certainly recommend this hotel for a short break in the beautiful city of prague

Room Tip: avoid room 11 if the noise would bpther you
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Michal M, Manager at Hotel U Prince, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Dear Client,

i would like to thank you on behalf of the hotel staff for your nice review and comments, which are very important for us in order to improve our standards.

We hope having you back.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 9, 2012 via mobile

We did not stay at U Prince, but at a wonderful dinner at their outdoor cafe. Service was impeccable, prices were very reasonable, quality of cuisine was fantastic and the people watching the location provides is perfect. It's a must dine.....

Stayed April 2012
Michal M, Manager at Hotel U Prince, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Dear BrittandScott,

thank you very much for dining in our restaurant and for writing your review. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed our service.

It would be great to accomodate you when you are back in Prague.

Best wishes
Michal Stribrsky
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I took my mother to Eastern Europe which included a weeks stay in Prague. Given her needs we stayed as central as possible. The U Prince hotel in the old square, not only was this the best decision but they were fabulous when hearing I had my mother who may not get out each day to see the sights and so asked for a room with a view. They booked us the room with the only balcony over looking the old town square. My goodness it was magical, the satff were so kind, this city is gorgeous but the location we stayed in was truely wonderfull. Highly highly reccommend. Some reports in tripadvisor were not as generous, but if you knew my mother - everyone falls for her... even the Russian woman. Thank you to the staff this was couple of years ago, but we still rave about the place and often see it in travel and history programs.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the old square can be noisy, however most activities tend to fininsh up around 11...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Michal M, Manager at Hotel U Prince, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Dear Felicity H,

thank you very much for remembering us and for letting us know how pleasant your stay in Hotel U Prince was. It is very nice to know that we have stayed in your minds since you left Prague.

We hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards