“Lovely hotel in centre of Prague”

Design Hotel Jewel Prague
Ranked #8 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed July 16, 2012

It’s a really lovely hotel in centre of Prague. Each room is in different jewels theme and they even have a cocktail for each room, which just show how thoughtful everything has been designed. We stayed for two nights in ‘Pearls’ room, which was really nice and at the top floor (there is a lift for luggage). Hotel service was great and they added little delights, such as fresh water with lemon or orange, sweets and bed time story every day. Breakfast buffet was good and could order from a la carte as well. It was great to have nice bar/restaurant at ground floor, especially for bed time drink after day of exploring the beautiful city. The staff was helpful to book taxi and explain way. Also used pick up services from airport. Probable more expensive as just taxi but arrived late evening so nice to have someone waiting and sorting it out when new to a place.

Room Tip: We stayed in 'Pearls', which was really lovely and at the top floor. 'Diamond' and...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Crescent_19

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Everything about the Jewel Hotel is exceptional - friendly and helpful staff, amazing location, great rooms, excellent breakfast. I only wish I could have stayed longer, but I was on a business trip and time was limited. I'll definitely be staying at the Jewel Hotel again on my next trip through Prague.

Room Tip: Higher in the hotel is better (there are 3 floors) to avoid street noise if you want to crash early...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Benjamin B
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This fantastic hotel, right in center of Prague, really is a jewel - it is a beautiful small hotel. The staff are helpfull and speaks english. Super breakfast with excellent omelets. We will definitely stay here again :-) Carl and Anette from Denmark

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2012

What a truly great small hotel! In so many ways it was better than many supposedly 5 star hotels! The staff could not be more helpful, always with a ready smile and friendly greeting. I stayed in Onyx a very lovely single room. It was compact but the design was so very clever it never felt cramped. The very high ceiling, large double glazed window and elegant drapery give a spacious feel. There was a place for everything and it was incredibly comfortable room. On arrival I unpacked my suitcase and then it easily slipped under the bed and out of the way until it was time to leave. One of my favourite design features of the room was the thoughtful lighting, a great reading light, a clever night light all with switches I could reach from the bed. Speaking of the bed...it was THE MOST comfortable bed I have ever slept in! I'm a fussy bed person and it was exceptional. Great linen and even a pillow menu. In fact every single feature of the room reflected both a great sense of style and the highest quality choice. As others have mentioned the nightly treats and the printed bed time story were other nice touches. Breakfast was included and was delicious. On offer was a good buffet selection, fresh squeezed juices, baked goods cereals etc plus a cooked to order a'la carte menu and made to order coffee! The hotel is in a great position and close to metro and tram stops. Yes, you do need to climb the stairs to reach your room but they are a wide stone staircase plus the very clever luggage elevator means luggage is not a problem. I found this to be a great choice for my 3 nights in Prague and I would definitely recommend the Jewel Hotel, its a true gem!

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem ask for a lower floor
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Jewel Hotel Prague (Hotel U Klenotnika) was really lovely. Other reviewers have stated that it is in a very good location, and it is. Reception staff as well as the bar/cafe staff were very courteous, friendly and helpful. Great communication via email before we arrived.

Our room was spotless, with lovely furnishings and a great compact bathroom. I really liked the colours. Bed was very comfortable, as was the couch which was made up into a bed, and we heard no street noise or noise from the bar downstairs which was good. We did on one night hear our next door neighbours come home from a night out, however they were quiet once they entered their room...you would get that anywhere. The special treats each night were a nice touch as was the jug of water.

I loved the stone winding staircase up to the rooms. Please note that the elevator is literally for luggage only, as it is small and narrow, so if you intend staying here, you will need to climb stairs.

Our room rate was reasonable for the three of us, and it included a pretty good hot and cold breakfast. The hotel allocated a car space for us out the front of the hotel at 10 euro per night which was really good, as I can't imagine where we would have had to go to park our car. I think they have only one space available so we were lucky.

One thing I found annoying about Prague in general, was that people smoke in restaurants, cafes from about mid afternoon, as was the case at the Jewel in their bar/cafe. Its a bit of a challenge in an enclosed space when you are trying to eat. There are tables and chairs outside as well, a bit cold for us to sit outside while we were there. However, the rooms at the Jewel are all non smoking.

If ever in Prague again, I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Jewel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TCSSouthAustralia
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Hello,

Thank you very much for your very positive review. We really appreciate it and we will always do our best so the guests feel as best as possible in Jewel Hotel.

Regarding smoking in bars and restaurants – this question really concerns us and we would like to have the whole restaurant smoking free but most of our guests are smokers and since the Czech law does not forbid smoking in restaurants this question will still be a problematic one. But the hotel and all the rooms are all strictly non smoking.

Viktor Kunert

Owner

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Due to an error in the booking of another hotel, we were very fortunate to get rooms at The Jewel. Nice room, comfortable beds, excellent showers and facilities topped off win very good staff. The bar is also a bit of a treat as it is an actual streetside bar rather than a soulless hotel bar. A real find, considering returning on a pleasure visit soon.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I heard some great things about this hotel and wanted to try it on my next trip to Prague. i was a little worried about the location. it is very centrally located, but in the part of Prague that is surrounded by touristy restaurants and shops. Usually I stay in the center, but in one of the quieter neighboorhoods.
I ate in the restaurant one night with some business colleagues and this was dissappointing. The menu left a lot to be desired, but the service was not good at all. Prague is not known for its service, but I thought as the restaurant belongs to the hotel that they would meet basic customer needs, but this did not happen. Confused wait staff and a general lack of interest in their work really showed.
The room was fine. Nothing special, but clean and well appointed. I might normally give my experience another chance, but with so many hotel to choose from in Prague I think I will try another.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank europealltheway
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Hello,

I would like to react to this rating.

Hotel location is one of the best in the old part of Prague as you can read in almost every review here on tripadvisor as well as in travel magazines such as Lonely Planet, but i agree it does not have to be the best location for everyone.

In this review we recieved just three points for sleeping quality, value and location and what really surprises me – for cleanliness. It’s surprising since there were no complaints about the price or cleanliness in the review. On the contrary it states that „ ROOM WAS FINE, NOTHING SPECIAL BUT CLEAN AND WELL APPOINED“. Why 3 out of 5 then? That i humbly don’t understand.

Regarding the complaints abour restaurants I am very sorry and we will look into it and immediately correct that. And i’m really sorry about that since our restaurant has mostly very positive feedback – especially for the service. We are very sorry that this negative has showed up on our hotel profile since restaurant has it’s own profile here on tripadvisor, where you can find only 16 excellent and 9 very good….

Viktor Kunert